Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

embassy interview and driving test in the US (california)

embassy interview and driving test in the US (california)

Old Aug 14th 2011, 3:33 pm
Forum Regular

RayM has much to be proud ofRayM has much to be proud ofRayM has much to be proud ofRayM has much to be proud ofRayM has much to be proud ofRayM has much to be proud ofRayM has much to be proud ofRayM has much to be proud ofRayM has much to be proud ofRayM has much to be proud ofRayM has much to be proud of
Default Re: embassy interview and driving test in the US (california)

Just dress dress comfortable but smart. Weather forecast looks ok for tomorrow so you probably don't need coats. No electronics and they do make you take belts and watches off (they give you a plastic bag for them).
Take a book or something to entertain you all. Some days it's quick. It only took me 1 hr 20 mins but I've been told it can be very slow some days.
Old Aug 15th 2011, 7:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

dave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by laety
thats good to know ill have a look on line. This ssn number, how do you request one? I wont be working as ill have the h4, so do i get one anyway?
I'm surprised that this hasn't been picked up more. Prior to Sept 11th a H4 could get a SSN purely to get a Driving Licence. Since then (unless it's changed again) they've stopped issuing SSN's to H4's and without a SSN you can't get a Licence
Old Aug 15th 2011, 7:22 pm
Forum Regular

cyrus1341 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dave2702
I'm surprised that this hasn't been picked up more. Prior to Sept 11th a H4 could get a SSN purely to get a Driving Licence. Since then (unless it's changed again) they've stopped issuing SSN's to H4's and without a SSN you can't get a Licence
I am under the impression that if you are not entitle to SSN like when you are on H4, you can still apply for your driving licence but need to show the proof of your visa etc...
Old Aug 15th 2011, 7:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Orangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cyrus1341
I am under the impression that if you are not entitle to SSN like when you are on H4, you can still apply for your driving licence but need to show the proof of your visa etc...
Yes this is true - you have to go to the local SSA office and they will print a standard letter saying that you are not entitled to one which is what most DMVs will request - either the SSN card or the letter.
Old Aug 15th 2011, 7:43 pm
Forum Regular

cyrus1341 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Orangepants
Yes this is true - you have to go to the local SSA office and they will print a standard letter saying that you are not entitled to one which is what most DMVs will request - either the SSN card or the letter.
Thanks for the confirmation and advice about the letter.
Old Aug 15th 2011, 8:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Anian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't even think about dressing up for the interview, I was probably in jeans and an ordinary collared shirt since that is what I wore most of the time outside of work.

I got told I was successful at the end of the interview (which was really short, but mine was for a full greencard), but needed to get some more up-to-date documentation before they'd give it to me. So I posted the new documents off to them when I got them several weeks later, and it all was fine.