Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

embassy interview and driving test in the US (california)

embassy interview and driving test in the US (california)

Old Jul 27th 2011, 1:37 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: embassy interview and driving test in the US (california)

Originally Posted by sd001
I have read on some websites you have 10 days to get it from when you become a permanent resident.
There is only ONE official website: http://dmv.ca.gov/portal/home/dmv.htm. Also, don't confuse being a PR (federal status) with being a resident (state status).

Ian
Old Jul 27th 2011, 3:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Englishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills

So your DMV doesn't use the eye charts anymore then.
If you can see both the tree & car you're good - budget cuts you know :-)
Old Jul 27th 2011, 3:27 pm
Just Joined

sd001 is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks for the replys. i am a permanent resident as I have a cr-1 visa. hopefully i should be able to see both lol x
Old Jul 27th 2011, 4:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sd001
I have a question, is there a time limit to get your drivers license in the state of california?

I have read on some websites you have 10 days to get it from when you become a permanent resident. Has anyone had this experience and what was the timeframe you got your license in?
Yes, it is 10 days.

For many people this is simply not possible so just try to do it as quickly as you can - it should be possible to get it within the first 3 or 4 weeks.

Oh, and in this case the term is not "permanent resident", it is just "resident" and it is California's definition of "resident in the state of California" that matters not your immigration status,
Old Jul 27th 2011, 7:00 pm
C_C
Forum Regular

C_C has much to be proud ofC_C has much to be proud ofC_C has much to be proud ofC_C has much to be proud ofC_C has much to be proud ofC_C has much to be proud ofC_C has much to be proud ofC_C has much to be proud ofC_C has much to be proud ofC_C has much to be proud ofC_C has much to be proud of

Re the driver's license: 10 days is the official rule, but that's usually impossible for new immigrants. If for nothing else, they need your social security number to let you apply for a driver's license, and the social security card alone takes about 10 days-2 weeks to arrive (counting from the day you enter the country as an immigrant), and in some cases even longer.

In my case: I entered the US on June 7. My SS card arrived in the mail on June 17. I immediately went online on the DMV website to schedule an appointment and the earliest available appointment slot wasn't till June 22. So I went there on the 22nd, made the application, had my photo and fingerprints taken, paid the fee. I had the option to take the written test right there and then, but I preferred to give myself some time to read the CA Driver's Handbook first, so I didn't take it that day. According to the "receipt" I was given, I had a full year to complete my application (i.e. take the tests).

I took my sweet time for the written test (mainly because I couldn't bring myself to read that handbook - it was sooo boring ) so I ended up going in for the written test 3 weeks after my initial appointment, on July 13. The written test is first come first serve - no appointment is needed. I passed the written test that day and I was given a temporary license until I take the "behind-the-wheel" test to get a full one. My temporary license expires September 10, but I have yet to call to schedule an appointment for the driving test
I plan to do it probably early next week and I hope I'll be able to find a slot for some time in August (I've heard that tests are scheduled for a couple weeks later).

Bottom line: I wouldn't be all that worried about the driving test. You'll do it as soon as you can.
Old Jul 27th 2011, 7:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

E3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond repute

My case

Entered US on E-3 Visa
Waited for 8 days to apply for SSN
SSN issued 8 days after that
Scheduled an interview 3 weeks wait

So look me roughly 5 weeks to get my license.
Old Jul 28th 2011, 4:20 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

California DMV does have on-line videos on the driving test -- it is aimed at young drivers, but they are not too shabby.

BTW, the behind the wheel test is a bitch for new drivers. As noted by others, it is easy for people who already know how to drive and have been licensed elsewhere.

I would recommend getting used to LHD cars and driving on the right side of the road before taking the test.
Old Jul 28th 2011, 4:26 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
There is only ONE official website: http://dmv.ca.gov/portal/home/dmv.htm. Also, don't confuse being a PR (federal status) with being a resident (state status).

Ian
FWIW, the "call you back" feature is really neat. Recently, I realized that the 2011 tags on one of our cars had yet to arrive even though the check had long cleared. [The tags on the other car expire next month and we are waiting for the 2011 sticker]. I called, and they actually called back 12 minutes later! It turns out that the tags had been sent to Harrods Creek, KY due to the fact that initial "9" in the ZIP code had been keyed in as a "4." Went to local DMV office at 8:30 a.m. the next day and had my new tags by 9:10. And no extra fee.
Old Aug 14th 2011, 5:02 am
Just Joined

sd001 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by C_C
Re the driver's license: 10 days is the official rule, but that's usually impossible for new immigrants. If for nothing else, they need your social security number to let you apply for a driver's license, and the social security card alone takes about 10 days-2 weeks to arrive (counting from the day you enter the country as an immigrant), and in some cases even longer.

In my case: I entered the US on June 7. My SS card arrived in the mail on June 17. I immediately went online on the DMV website to schedule an appointment and the earliest available appointment slot wasn't till June 22. So I went there on the 22nd, made the application, had my photo and fingerprints taken, paid the fee. I had the option to take the written test right there and then, but I preferred to give myself some time to read the CA Driver's Handbook first, so I didn't take it that day. According to the "receipt" I was given, I had a full year to complete my application (i.e. take the tests).

I took my sweet time for the written test (mainly because I couldn't bring myself to read that handbook - it was sooo boring ) so I ended up going in for the written test 3 weeks after my initial appointment, on July 13. The written test is first come first serve - no appointment is needed. I passed the written test that day and I was given a temporary license until I take the "behind-the-wheel" test to get a full one. My temporary license expires September 10, but I have yet to call to schedule an appointment for the driving test
I plan to do it probably early next week and I hope I'll be able to find a slot for some time in August (I've heard that tests are scheduled for a couple weeks later).

Bottom line: I wouldn't be all that worried about the driving test. You'll do it as soon as you can.
Thanks, I was thinking how can you get your license in 10 days if you dont have your ssn number?

I'm glad that is not the case. I got here on 2nd august and waiting for my SSN number. In the mean time i am trying to go read the manual, which like you said looks very boring.

Thanks for that helps when someone has had the experience. xx
Old Aug 14th 2011, 12:29 pm
Forum Regular

laety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud of

Im currently putting all the paperwork together for our interview tomorrow.. Silly question but what is the "dress code"? We are thinking about going there "smart casual" but my husband is wondering if its not more formal
thank you :-)
(I guess we are just stressing out a bit)
Old Aug 14th 2011, 12:45 pm
Forum Regular

cyrus1341 is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Re: embassy interview and driving test in the US (california)

Smart casual sounds good. When we went there you could see a right mixture some with shorts and T-Shirts, some smart casual and some in suit etc. so the choice is yours and perhaps your husband would like to wear a suit as its H1B Visa only if he feels like it.....

Good luck!!

Cyrus
Old Aug 14th 2011, 12:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Wibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by laety
Im currently putting all the paperwork together for our interview tomorrow.. Silly question but what is the "dress code"? We are thinking about going there "smart casual" but my husband is wondering if its not more formal
thank you :-)
(I guess we are just stressing out a bit)
We had ours 2 days ago, most people were in casual dress

Just remember not to take anything electrical with you!!!! So many people were turned away despite the warnings you get beforehand!!

It was a lot of sitting around, maybe take a book or newspaper. We were there around 2 hours altogether. It was for a H1B and 4x H4 visas

Good luck
Old Aug 14th 2011, 1:11 pm
Forum Regular

laety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud of

yeah thanks for the warning on electrical pdcts, I told my husband he could not take his blackberry and he nearly fainted.. yes he is one of them
Old Aug 14th 2011, 1:16 pm

Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond repute

And headphones, don't forget the headphones! I had to bin a pair if apple headphones as I had remembered to take my iPhone out but the headphones were in a side pocket. We went in jeans. Seemed to be the people who went for extra processing who were in suits when we were there. They did appear to be their court appearance suits though.
Old Aug 14th 2011, 1:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Wibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by laety
yeah thanks for the warning on electrical pdcts, I told my husband he could not take his blackberry and he nearly fainted.. yes he is one of them
LOL us too! It felt as if I had lost a limb not having my iphone!

Also don't forgot keyfobs come under that too!! We took our things to the Left Luggage at Paddington Station beforehand as we had to stay in a hotel the night before

The lady performing the 'interview' did however say some odd things as if she was trying to trick us, she said that she had interviewed people before for that company, we knew she hadn't as my husband is the first person the company has ever sponsored He also had to confirm how many people already worked for the company and what made him think he was suitable for the role!! HTH

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.