British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Embarrasing Question (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/embarrasing-question-107876/)

K Apr 24th 2002 4:13 pm

Embarrasing Question

I am asking this question for a reason

Has anyone become more lactose intolerant since leaving the uk and coming to the us?

Thanks

Ameriscot Apr 24th 2002 4:18 pm

Re: Embarrasing Question

Not personally, but that's maybe because I won't touch that vitamin D homogenised milk. This milk can make people lactose intolerant because the homogenising process means that more cows' milk protein enters your bloodstream. It's better to stick to semi-skimmed (2%).

Brit Apr 24th 2002 8:40 pm

buy Lactaid milk, most stores sell it. I think they may also do ice-cream also.

"K" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I am asking this question for a reason
    >
    > Has anyone become more lactose intolerant since leaving the uk and coming
    > to the us?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    >
    >
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Hyacinthus Apr 24th 2002 9:40 pm

I've the same problem. even with 2% organic milk. But I 've no problem with
ice-cream........wierd.

Maybe I 'll try the Lactaid milk, which I 've never tired before.

>
    > to the us?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    >
    >
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

K Apr 25th 2002 2:20 am

I am using lactaid milk and for the most part it does the trick. Ice cream i cant tolerate especially if it is chocolate, others are not so bad. It is weird though.

PEACHSTER Apr 25th 2002 3:17 am

I have this problem & it is just a pain. It started with me around the age of 20 so now everytime I have any dairy I have to take a lactose pill & be careful not to drink too much while I am eating or I pay the price later on. My mom has this problem but as of late has been able to eat anything dairy & not have any problems so yeah it is weird.

Mrtravel Apr 25th 2002 8:10 am

K wrote:

> I am using lactaid milk and for the most part it does the trick.

What do you mean "for the most part"? It is 100 percent lactose free. So, if the
problem really is lactose intolerance, than lactose free Lactaid should do the trick
for more than "the most part"

Grinch Apr 25th 2002 10:40 am

>
    > to the us?

I certainly fart a lot more than I used too but I think that is the beer or
maybe donuts.

Grinch

Jb Apr 25th 2002 11:10 am

Grinch wrote:
    >
    > "K" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > I am asking this question for a reason
    > >
    > > Has anyone become more lactose intolerant since leaving the uk and coming to
    > > the us?
    >
    > I certainly fart a lot more than I used too but I think that is the beer or
    > maybe donuts.

But the real question is do you fart a lot more since moving to the US? The original
poster asked if anyone noticed that they had become lactose intolerant since moving,
for example, from the UK to the US. A far more interesting question, to me, than the
possible treatments.

I think the problem could be because the milk in the US is (probably) vastly
different from that in the UK. Whether this could cause lactose intolerance is
anyone's guess. I'm from the US and have lived in the UK for the past 4 years. Food
in general in the UK is "better" from my point of view (fewer preservatives, fewer
"strange" products like "cheese food." And don't get me started on the bread).

joe

Betastar Apr 25th 2002 1:40 pm

On Thu, 25 Apr 2002 11:20:21 +0100, jb <[email protected]> wrote:

>I think the problem could be because the milk in the US is (probably) vastly
    >different from that in the UK.

Reinhard says they sell milk in Europe. Here they sell a white substance called
"milk" that tastes vaguely like milk, but he's not quite sure what it really is ;)

(It might also have a little to do with the fact that we drink skim in this house,
which he never did at home...)

Betastar

Hyacinthus Apr 25th 2002 5:40 pm

I have the same problem as the original posters. I had been having milk from
Australia (mainly) and Hong Kong since I was little. I had had no lactose tolerant
problem at all before I came to the States.

What happened to the US milk/cow?

"jb" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > Grinch wrote:
    > >
    > > "K" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > > > I am asking this question for a reason
    > > >
    > > > Has anyone become more lactose intolerant since leaving the uk and coming to
    > > > the us?
    > >
    > > I certainly fart a lot more than I used too but I think that is the beer
or
    > > maybe donuts.
    >
    > But the real question is do you fart a lot more since moving to the US? The
    > original poster asked if anyone noticed that they had become lactose intolerant
    > since moving, for example, from the UK to the US. A far more interesting question,
    > to me, than the possible treatments.
    >
    > I think the problem could be because the milk in the US is (probably) vastly
    > different from that in the UK. Whether this could cause lactose intolerance is
    > anyone's guess. I'm from the US and have lived in the UK for the past 4 years. Food
    > in general in the UK is "better" from my point of view (fewer preservatives, fewer
    > "strange" products like "cheese food." And don't get me started on the bread).
    >
    > joe

brianr Apr 25th 2002 6:24 pm

>But the real question is [snip] since moving to the US?

I moved here 6 months ago and the answer for me so far, is no.

>I think the problem could be because the milk in the US
>is (probably) vastly different from that in the UK. Whether
>this could cause lactose intolerance is anyone's guess.
>
>I'm from the US and have lived in the UK for the past 4 years.
>Food in general in the UK is "better" from my point of view
>(fewer preservatives, fewer "strange" products like "cheese
>food." And don't get me started on the bread).

Joe,

I am glad you (as a US born person) said that - I moved TO the US from the UK last year and some products here like butter seem at times to be almost rancid compared to good old Lurpack (or even Tesco store brand butter) in the UK. All I can say for cheese, is that so many Americans just don't know what the real product tastes like and as for bread... oh!!! You took the words right out of my mouth (shame you didn't take the cotton-like substance that passes for bread here in Texas instead). Fresh French bread would be thought of as "too hard" or perhaps stale, just because it has a crust on it!

I actually find these differences between the two countries approach to food both interesting and also a little sad. There is no need for the huge factory processed attitudes that seem to overpower the food lobby in the US. I think this is so even with the large scale that everything has to be done to, just because the US is so much larger than the UK.

I can accept that there may well be a problem with the "enriched" milk and bread products here (I don't think these can be seen in the UK) when compared to regular products sold in the UK and therefore causing K's problem, but can't point to anything much apart from notes like K's and the thought that "it sounds plausable". My old science professors always told me to be wary of relying on "it sounds plausable" as a reason for anything... Prove it using solid facts they used to say, so I wonder, how can we prove it?

Brian.

meauxna Apr 26th 2002 8:15 am

I don't know if you're interested on alternate solutions or not (being from the US not able to answer your real question) but you might try an acidophillis suplement to keep the quota of good bacteria in the gut at a peak. Has worked wonders for me while travelling in Central America.
Additionally, Lactaid makes a pill supplement to take when eating other dairy products.
I used to own a natural food store and both these solutions were very popular with my customers.

Britavia Apr 26th 2002 1:07 pm

2 things I ask...please US, import Marmite and Stella Artois! *G*

K Apr 26th 2002 6:09 pm

This is a respose from my husband dave :)

You are all plonkers and whiney little british gits.

Now where the hell can i find my salad cream and my branston pickle, not forgetting of course marmite, cheese and onion crisps, worcestershire sauce crisps and WIMPY SAUCE !!!!!!!!!!

He is worse than i am. When it comes to missing british food, he loved it and got a taste for it over there :)