Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Elementary schools in Ridgefield CT.

Elementary schools in Ridgefield CT.

Old May 5th 2010, 12:15 pm
Forum Regular

meshwill is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Elementary schools in Ridgefield CT.

Hi,
We're hopefully moving to Connecticut this summer, hubby has been offered a job and will tie up all the details next week.
My first things to sort will be schools, rental accom and starting credit history so we can eventually buy a house.
I've narrowed it down to Ridgefield CT after speaking to people etc and then researched all the schools, I like the look of Scotland Elementary, Barlow Mountain Elementary and Branchville Elementary, does anyone have any personal knowledge of any of these schools?
We will be making a trip out there, possibly in June, but would like a head start!.
many thanks!
Old May 5th 2010, 12:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Elementary schools in Ridgefield CT.

try looking at:

www.greatschools.org

or post your question on the forum at

www.city-data.com

Old May 5th 2010, 12:38 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks Lisa, I've looked on Great schools, the reports and results look great but the parent reviews on Branchville say differently!.
Currently trawling city-data too!!
Old May 5th 2010, 1:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

dinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to behold

Well, it's Ridgefield, so there are no bad schools...generally the Connecticut Gold Coast towns have exceedingly good schools.

Downsides will be lack of diversity and extremely competitive parents.

I live in a slightly more downmarket neighbo(u)ring town - never experienced UK school system (except for me, a long time ago), but generally public (i.e. town) school facilities seem very good in the US.

Be aware that you'll pay a high property tax that funds your local schools - probably in the range $8-12K/year depending on your property, but if you're renting that may be paid by the landlord. As an owner (or rather a mortgage payer), I don't know the position for renters.

Essentially the amount of property tax a town's population can afford to pay reflects the standard of its schools. So as Ridgefield has a very high average income, its schools are correspondingly good. Note that in CT, you have to vote on the town budget every year (or at least you do once you become a citizen), which can highlight the property tax issue.

Sorry, am meandering away from OP's topic...hope that was helpful.
Old May 5th 2010, 2:34 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

I am canvassing some friends and educators in town for you. Here is the first response, which is pretty much what I figured it would be:

"You really cannot go wrong. Mine are headed to Ridgebury. I know several very happy parents & kids at Scotland, & some great teachers at the other schools."

As you know, everyone funnels into the same HS eventually, and I have never heard of kids from any one elementary school being behind those from another school in town.
Old May 5th 2010, 2:47 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks Dinosaur, have looked at the property taxes, got up off the floor when I'd got over the shock! and decided that if it means great education then I'll find the money from somewhere (can you sell husbands on Ebay?!!).
Best wishes
Old May 5th 2010, 2:48 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks Nutmegger, invaluable help as always
Old May 5th 2010, 4:08 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Happy to help, Meshwill. I now have this response from someone who works in education in town:

Ridgefield Schools are good - they are all public schools. I have personal knowledge of Farmingville and Branchville - I can recommend them. If the person is thinking of determining the area they would like to move to by first looking at the school, I would say don't bother - they are basically all the same. Branchville, Veteran's Park ,and Farmingville feed into a "Blue Ribbon" Middle School.
Old May 5th 2010, 4:20 pm
Forum Regular

hmmm, interesting! thank you and thank your friend for me
Old May 5th 2010, 7:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meshwill
Thanks Dinosaur, have looked at the property taxes, got up off the floor when I'd got over the shock! and decided that if it means great education then I'll find the money from somewhere (can you sell husbands on Ebay?!!).
Best wishes
In the US, property taxes are paid for by the landlord if you are renting.

Also many states have laws that give tax benefits the longer you own a house. As an example in California, property tax rates can be between 1.00%-1.25% of the value of the house but can't increase more than 2% per year but will be appraised at the full value once the house is sold. Therefore a person owning a house for 20 years may only be paying half or less in property taxes than a new owner. Also there are prop 60 and 90 laws that allows a person over 55 to move and maintain his/her previous tax burden.
Old May 5th 2010, 7:46 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

We will be making a trip out there, possibly in June, but would like a head start!.
If neither are USC's and it's not a company transfer and it's not a research/educational position, wont be starting till Oct, so you've got plenty of time to figure it out at least

Chances are though, all the schools will be really good out there, the property taxes aren't steep for nothing, so go to which ever place you find a nice rental at.
Old May 5th 2010, 7:50 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Originally Posted by Michael
Also many states have laws that give tax benefits the longer you own a house. As an example in California, property tax rates can be between 1.00%-1.25% of the value of the house but can't increase more than 2% per year but will be appraised at the full value once the house is sold. Therefore a person owning a house for 20 years may only be paying half or less in property taxes than a new owner. Also there are prop 60 and 90 laws that allows a person over 55 to move and maintain his/her previous tax burden.
Nothing like that in CT, I'm afraid. Start drawing SS and some towns will knock a couple of hundred off, if you're lucky. but that's it.
Old May 5th 2010, 9:24 pm
Forum Regular

In the US, property taxes are paid for by the landlord if you are renting.
Thanks Michael, that explains why the rental amount is twice what I'd pay in the UK for same house size, at least that's one more outlay I can discount until I buy.
Old May 5th 2010, 9:26 pm
Forum Regular

If neither are USC's and it's not a company transfer and it's not a research/educational position, wont be starting till Oct, so you've got plenty of time to figure it out at least
Thanks Bob, it is a company transfer so Hubby will probably start in July and I'll follow with the kids in August, in time for school in sept!!
Old May 5th 2010, 9:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

rebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Bob, it is a company transfer so Hubby will probably start in July and I'll follow with the kids in August, in time for school in sept!!
I'm not sure about your area, but where we are, the schools start back after the summer break in about the 3rd week of August. Might be worth just checking that so you can plan to be here in time for the start of the year.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.