Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Elementary/middle school NJ?

Elementary/middle school NJ?

Old Jul 28th 2015, 8:33 pm
Forum Regular

Sliv has a reputation beyond reputeSliv has a reputation beyond reputeSliv has a reputation beyond reputeSliv has a reputation beyond reputeSliv has a reputation beyond reputeSliv has a reputation beyond reputeSliv has a reputation beyond reputeSliv has a reputation beyond reputeSliv has a reputation beyond reputeSliv has a reputation beyond reputeSliv has a reputation beyond repute
Default Elementary/middle school NJ?

Could someone please explain the schooling in the U.S. If the elementary schools in the area we are looking at are K to 5th Grade does that mean the children move to high school for 6th Grade onwards? Or do they still go to middle school? And if so when does high school run from and to?
Old Jul 28th 2015, 8:37 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Elementary/middle school NJ?

Originally Posted by Sliv
Could someone please explain the schooling in the U.S. If the elementary schools in the area we are looking at are K to 5th Grade does that mean the children move to high school for 6th Grade onwards? Or do they still go to middle school? And if so when does high school run from and to?
Middle school is grades 6 to 8. High school is grades 9 to 12.

Are you still looking at the Basking Ridge area?
Old Jul 28th 2015, 8:46 pm
Forum Regular

Sliv has a reputation beyond reputeSliv has a reputation beyond reputeSliv has a reputation beyond reputeSliv has a reputation beyond reputeSliv has a reputation beyond reputeSliv has a reputation beyond reputeSliv has a reputation beyond reputeSliv has a reputation beyond reputeSliv has a reputation beyond reputeSliv has a reputation beyond reputeSliv has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you!! it's been driving me crazy as I just couldn't work out what the age ranges were from the school websites.

You may be able to answer this question too... If we start our 7 year old in a school that's based on the street we live in in terms of which school it is. What if we then move from that house to another house in same town - would our daughter (3 years younger) have to go to a different school based on that street or same school as its same town?!

Yes basking ridge is a favourite but not much comes up on rental market by the looks of it. At the moment I think we will move in about 6m, I'm just getting my head around how it's going to work re finding a house and it being available when we move.
Old Jul 28th 2015, 8:52 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sliv
Thank you!! it's been driving me crazy as I just couldn't work out what the age ranges were from the school websites.

You may be able to answer this question too... If we start our 7 year old in a school that's based on the street we live in in terms of which school it is. What if we then move from that house to another house in same town - would our daughter (3 years younger) have to go to a different school based on that street or same school as its same town?!

Yes basking ridge is a favourite but not much comes up on rental market by the looks of it. At the moment I think we will move in about 6m, I'm just getting my head around how it's going to work re finding a house and it being available when we move.
I don't know...I suppose if you moved into the same catchment area both children would be at the same school. Out of the catchment area I would think they would both go to a school within the new catchment area. Sorry to be vague...our daughter went to private school in Morristown and Martinsville...so it didn't matter where we lived.
Old Jul 28th 2015, 10:48 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Moving out of cachement procedures are handled on a district-by-district basis, so you'll need to check with the schools and make your housing selections accordingly.

Please see our WIKI for some general information on schools:

Education: What do I need to enroll the kids in school? : British Expat Wiki
Old Aug 20th 2015, 8:18 pm
Forum Regular

Thank you for the link.