Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Elementary or Middle School?

Elementary or Middle School?

Old Dec 5th 2008, 7:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Elementary or Middle School?

Originally Posted by clarissageo
I wondered why, until DH explained that his 10 year old hadn't learnt cursive yet
I didn't realize there could be that big of a diff in schools from state to state. I was learning cursive in 2nd grade (I think) when I was 7. Or it was 3rd grade, at the latest.

Good luck everyone in your decisions!
Old Dec 5th 2008, 7:16 pm
Queen of my house

tamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sunflwrgrl13
I didn't realize there could be that big of a diff in schools from state to state. I was learning cursive in 2nd grade (I think) when I was 7. Or it was 3rd grade, at the latest.

Me too Sunflwrgrl...in a little elementary school in Clermont Co., OH. My kids went to a school in Hamilton Co. in the 90s and they learned in 2nd grade, also.
Old Dec 5th 2008, 7:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't realize there could be that big of a diff in schools from state to state.
There's often a massive difference from city/district to city/district let alone state to state!
Old Dec 5th 2008, 11:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute

Me too! Cursive began in the second grade in Northern Ohio. 10 years old seems like a long wait to learn! Then again, we had Headstart too (and Sunflower I don't think you're older than me) so goes to show that things can differ by quite a bit.
Old Dec 6th 2008, 2:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kaffy Mintcake
Me too! Cursive began in the second grade in Northern Ohio. 10 years old seems like a long wait to learn! Then again, we had Headstart too (and Sunflower I don't think you're older than me) so goes to show that things can differ by quite a bit.
I'll tell my age if you tell me yours.

Well, tbh, headstart could have been around, but because my folks didn't have much money, & there weren't that many programs for low-income families 25 yrs ago (that should give a hint to my age), I didn't do Headstart. Didn't stop me from getting a master's in engineering though!

Frankly, given the amount of disruption I caused in kindergarten and 1st grade, I think I would have been too immature for headstart/preschool.
Old Dec 6th 2008, 2:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute

Well, tbh, headstart could have been around, but because my folks didn't have much money, & there weren't that many programs for low-income families 25 yrs ago (that should give a hint to my age), I didn't do Headstart. Didn't stop me from getting a master's in engineering though!

Frankly, given the amount of disruption I caused in kindergarten and 1st grade, I think I would have been too immature for headstart/preschool.
Your profile says you're 30, and I'm 32, so that makes me the old fart of the two of us.

I caused disruption in kindergarten too, but after a few paddlings at school switched to being very shy.
Old Dec 6th 2008, 2:43 am
Forum Regular

Location: From Yorkshire to Paris, the long way round via Michigan.
midwestowl is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE=clarissageo;7040083]So now the visa's have finally approved, the nerves and worries about the big move are kicking in, especially about the kids

Our experience for what its worth ( in that many of the states are so different - we're Michigan and arrived Jan 08)..
Son who was 10 (11 in May) went into 5th grade, correct for his age group, but struggled in the early days as, to be fair, he was doing in the UK - the teachers at his elementary though were brilliant and the 1/2 year attendance wasn't an issue as to progression to MS - we were asked if we would let him repeat 5th grade as they wanted him on an IEP and they would have loads more time to spend with him in elementary - we agreed as we believe its right for him but equally they would have let him go to MS if that was our wish.
No regrets as he has come on leaps since September, he does get alot and i mean alot of extra support so we're happy - he is one of the older kids now but hey someone has to be and he was always one of the youngest in UK - age doesn't seem to be as big an issue here as it was back home.

def no integration programme, i was with him first morning in class as we both realised we had to stand for the star spangly banner over the tannoy ! - but yes his accent gave him a plus point in starting to make friends.
only other thing i would add is that the final year in elementary they start to develop the kids presentation skills which in MS they are expected to at least have a grounding in! Older son in MS has been caught out by that!!

i can only say good luck, but imo whatever route you choose if you believe its right for them it makes it a darned sight easier to send them to school each day !!
(hope thats not too much waffle)
Old Dec 6th 2008, 4:34 am
Look at moi!!!

Weasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond repute

Oh lordy think of my poor kids. Eldest is 11 and was 9 when we emigrated to Oz from UK. She had already learnt cursive and had to 'regress' to printing and now in grade 5 in Utah she has to start using cursive again!! Poor 8 year old is in grade 3 here and has completely missed the teaching of cursive!!!!

They are both coping fine with it though, and the accents etc.

Oh and the attendance thing was never mentioned for our grade 5 girl and we didn't start them in school here until 1st November.

Old Dec 6th 2008, 6:21 pm
Queen of my house

tamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond repute

But Head Start was created to prepare low-income preschoolers for grade school. You had to be poor to get in. My younger brother got to go.
Old Dec 6th 2008, 10:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by tamms_1965
But Head Start was created to prepare low-income preschoolers for grade school. You had to be poor to get in. My younger brother got to go.
Well, maybe it had more to do with daycare costs and not so much the headstart program then? Since I was so young, I really don't know why my parents didn't put me in the headstart program. I just know I only started going to school when I went to kindergarten at age 5.
Old Dec 6th 2008, 11:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by tamms_1965
I didn't think you had to be poor to go to Headstart? My family wasn't rich but I wouldn't say it was poor either.
Old Dec 6th 2008, 11:45 pm
Queen of my house

Originally Posted by Kaffy Mintcake
I didn't think you had to be poor to go to Headstart? My family wasn't rich but I wouldn't say it was poor either.
Yep, started in 1965 to provide comprehensive education, health, nutrition, and parent involvement services to low-income children and their families.

When I was young, I didn't think we were poor either (and we weren't for the community we lived in) because we owned are own house and my parents both had cars. But I guess we were low-income compared to the rest of the country, at least until the early 70s when my dad got a decent stable job and my mom started working.
Old Dec 7th 2008, 3:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

I remember learning cursive in 3rd grade, however was told the other day that it isn't even in the curriculum (in our school district) anymore and its left to the teacher's discretion to teach it. :curse: When I questioned the principal concerning this, he said that people don't use it as much anymore.

So what if my child comes upon something written in cursive as she gets older?
Old Dec 7th 2008, 4:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

my kids started to learn cursive in 3rd grade (we were in Mishigan then) now they're in 7th and 9th grade respectively (Texas) they can print if they like (which they both choose to do) and most of their work can be typed up on the computer if they want to (which my son often chooses to do as he writes like and epileptic spider )
Old Dec 8th 2008, 11:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Janek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lisa67
my kids started to learn cursive in 3rd grade (we were in Mishigan then) now they're in 7th and 9th grade respectively (Texas) they can print if they like (which they both choose to do) and most of their work can be typed up on the computer if they want to (which my son often chooses to do as he writes like and epileptic spider )
My kids started learning cursive in 4th grade, but they were already trying it out on their names.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.