British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   electricly challanged (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/electricly-challanged-341748/)

bright spark Dec 8th 2005 2:06 pm

electricly challanged

moving to Texas with family early Jan 06 :) I will have a green card as wife is now registered nurse in Texas,
but my question is can any one tell me the quickest way to get my licence as a electrician ( Iam qualified in the UK),any tips would help alot

BigDavyG Dec 8th 2005 2:10 pm

Re: electricly challanged

Originally Posted by bright spark
moving to Texas with family early Jan 06 :) I will have a green card as wife is now registered nurse in Texas,
but my question is can any one tell me the quickest way to get my licence as a electrician ( Iam qualified in the UK),any tips would help alot

No idea, but I like the name.

anotherlimey Dec 8th 2005 2:18 pm

A quick Google turns this up:

http://www.license.state.tx.us/electricians/elec.htm

Patrick Dec 8th 2005 2:28 pm

You have to answer the following 5 questions

Will you turn up to do the job
Will you turn up within a 4 hour window of the appointment
Will you answer your phone when a customer calls you
Will you charge a fair market price
Will you have any idea of what you are doing when you get there

If the answer to any or all of these questions is yes then unfortunatly you will not be allowed to be a tradesman of any kind in America, there rules not mine - take it up with them.

Of the only 2 good experiences I have had with tradesman in the us one of them was with an electrician, he turned up on time, found the problem in 2 seconds, fixed it and only charged me half his call out fee because it was a quick job! The other one was with the guy who fixed my fridge.

I have had plumbers turn up dig big holes in my garden then leave for 3 weeks, the floor guy came 2 days later than he said he would, leaving us furniture less in the lounge as we had stacked it in the garage. The guys who installed our outside shower took forever, got things completly wrong. I made such a fuss the company stopped using them for jobs, the boss had to come back 4 times to clean up the mess they made.

This is, of course, when you can actually get someone out to look at your problem.

bright spark Dec 8th 2005 2:40 pm

that sounds like a lot of trades people in the uk
but it does'nt help me a great deal........... :cool:

anotherlimey Dec 8th 2005 2:46 pm

that sounds like a lot of trades people in the uk
but it does'nt help me a great deal........... :cool:

You should probably consult the link above, and Google.

Certified British electricians are highly regard in NYC's Local 3 Union apparently, so I'm sure you'll have no problems.

lolly Dec 8th 2005 2:50 pm

Where in Texas are you moving to ??????????????

scrubbedexpat099 Dec 8th 2005 3:11 pm

I know a scouser who is a Plumber, he said it was a piece of piss compared to the UK regs.

bright spark Dec 8th 2005 3:37 pm

Town called spring (north of houston) or is it a city who knows, it seams anywhere with a population of two or more is a city in the states... lol

bright spark Dec 8th 2005 3:41 pm

so Ive heard, and Ive read some of there regs going backwards springs to mind,thanks DM

best cartoon ever :) :rolleyes: :)