Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Electricity Bill....

Electricity Bill....

Old Sep 26th 2014, 2:40 am
Forum Regular

mrsmaccmoo has a reputation beyond reputemrsmaccmoo has a reputation beyond reputemrsmaccmoo has a reputation beyond reputemrsmaccmoo has a reputation beyond reputemrsmaccmoo has a reputation beyond reputemrsmaccmoo has a reputation beyond reputemrsmaccmoo has a reputation beyond reputemrsmaccmoo has a reputation beyond reputemrsmaccmoo has a reputation beyond reputemrsmaccmoo has a reputation beyond reputemrsmaccmoo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Electricity Bill....

Is it just me, or is electricity really expensive here (CT) compared to UK?? Last month $186, this month $198. Only 2 of us, fairly large-ish 4 bed house, but we rarely use the AC, so we are simply paying for lights and hot water..... much larger house in the UK was about £200 per quarter. We are dreading winter....
Old Sep 26th 2014, 2:50 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Electricity Bill....

The AC is major draw even if you only use it "rarely", especially if it is a fairly old, unit. Also the fridge is a big user, again especially if it is a fairly old one. Do you use a clothes dryer, because that's another heavy user of power?

If your water heater doesn't have additional insulation you should buy a fibre glass insulation wrap for it. I suspect that the electric water heater is the biggest "unexpected" contributor to your power bill.

What about the lights? If they're incandescent bulbs they can add a surprising amount to your bill, so they should all be fluorescent, compact fluorescent, or LED bulbs. Many power companies will send you a free box of a variety of sizes of compact fluorescent bulbs.

Last edited by Pulaski; Sep 26th 2014 at 3:01 am.
Old Sep 26th 2014, 2:53 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
The AC is major draw even if you only use it "rarely", especially if it is a fairly old, unit. Also the fridge is a big user, again especially if it is a fairly old one. Do you use a clothes dryer, because that's another heavy user of power.
Or even a newer one that isn't energy star. Ours is only 4 years old and sucks power like crazy, also had issues keeping things cold so runs a lot.

Do you know how much your paying per kWh OP vs what was being charged in the UK?
Old Sep 26th 2014, 2:54 am
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

Cooker, dryer, dishwasher? Did you have gas in UK?.
What is the unit cost? Here its about 11.5cents/kwh.
Old Sep 26th 2014, 3:13 am
Forum Regular

unique_boy has a reputation beyond reputeunique_boy has a reputation beyond reputeunique_boy has a reputation beyond reputeunique_boy has a reputation beyond reputeunique_boy has a reputation beyond reputeunique_boy has a reputation beyond reputeunique_boy has a reputation beyond reputeunique_boy has a reputation beyond reputeunique_boy has a reputation beyond reputeunique_boy has a reputation beyond reputeunique_boy has a reputation beyond repute

The AC is major draw even if you only use it "rarely", especially if it is a fairly old, unit. Also the fridge is a big user, again especially if it is a fairly old one. Do you use a clothes dryer, because that's another heavy user of power?

If your water heater doesn't have additional insulation you should buy a fibre glass insulation wrap for it. I suspect that the electric water heater is the biggest "unexpected" contributor to your power bill.

What about the lights? If they're incandescent bulbs they can add a surprising amount to your bill, so they should all be fluorescent, compact fluorescent, or LED bulbs. Many power companies will send you a free box of a variety of sizes of compact fluorescent bulbs.
might have to accidentally break my fridge
Old Sep 26th 2014, 3:47 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Ocean State, they were selling LED bulbs for $3 a piece for 800 lumen type 60W equivalents and the CFL's were between $1-1.35 a piece depending on size.

They also put out much less heat, so you save on cooling costs during the summer.

A lot of states in the New England area also have a state based energy audit, where you can get a bunch of stuff done to reduce consumption from free bulbs to cheap insulation/window work. For us, it's part of one of those taxes that go to NStar. Mass Save | Energy Audit | Home Energy Audit | Energy Assessment You might have something similar in CT?
Old Sep 26th 2014, 6:33 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrsmaccmoo
Is it just me, or is electricity really expensive here (CT) compared to UK?? Last month $186, this month $198. Only 2 of us, fairly large-ish 4 bed house, but we rarely use the AC, so we are simply paying for lights and hot water..... much larger house in the UK was about £200 per quarter. We are dreading winter....
Mine was $130 last month -- lights, water, washer, dryer, dehumidifiers (don't use the a/c and summer so cool never even broke out the fans). Do you have electric heat? If not, you should find that your electricity bill will be lower in the winter than in the summer. Do you know that there are providers other than CL&P who give better rates? If you are interrested, pm me and I'll get the info for you.
Old Sep 26th 2014, 7:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

HumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond repute

Seems to vary from town to town. Bought a house in July and the last few bills have been $75 and $78 per month. This is after running a bedroom air conditioner unit and all the appliances - fridge, drier etc..

Last town I was in had Unitil as the supplier which means you get shafted. Place was a similar size and we were running the same appliances but my bills there were nearly double. This town is National Grid who seem to be a lot better.
Old Sep 26th 2014, 8:44 pm
Account Closed

Uncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrsmaccmoo
much larger house in the UK
First time i've heard that on BE.

Your home in CT maybe poorly insulated compared to your UK one. I remember in MA on my street of cape cod style homes mine was the only one with double glazing
Old Sep 26th 2014, 8:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

Regarding those LED bulbs.
I see Costco has good deals in the 40w replacement range but won't they be quite dull? I usually use 100W in the kitchen...
Old Sep 26th 2014, 10:01 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hotscot
I see Costco has good deals in the 40w replacement range but won't they be quite dull? I usually use 100W in the kitchen...
Depends on what you want. I find the 40 watt equivalents to work well for my needs, but if you like bright light (assuming since your using 100 watts now) that might not be enough light for you.
Old Sep 26th 2014, 10:02 pm
Account Closed

Uncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hotscot
Yeah dull, no good for kitchen. LED for the Kitchen will be expensive. A PAR30 flood led equivalent to 50w will run over $20 a pop. A PAR38 (120w) takes you to over 30.
Old Sep 26th 2014, 10:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

Screw that....
Old Sep 26th 2014, 10:11 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Uncle_Bob
Yeah dull, no good for kitchen. LED for the Kitchen will be expensive. A PAR30 flood led equivalent to 50w will run over $20 a pop. A PAR38 (120w) takes you to over 30.
Prices for LED bulbs are certainly high, but are falling fast, though not on all bulbs. I am holding off on replacing two dud bulbs in the light bar in the master bathroom, because although 40w equiv LED bulbs are now selling for less than $5, the spherical ones for light bars are still about $15. The compact fluorescent ones are $12 a pair.
Old Sep 26th 2014, 10:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Yeah I think I'll wait a bit...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.