Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Electrical Question: Anything with a wall wart?

Electrical Question: Anything with a wall wart?

Old Oct 1st 2009, 6:10 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute
Default Electrical Question: Anything with a wall wart?

So I was staring at a bunch of electronic gadgets around the house contemplating the replacement cost if a possible move comes to fruition. These things are all plugged into 'wall wart' cords, i.e. cords with a big black 'brick' that goes into the outlet. The majority are 110v devices, such as a baby monitor, shortwave radio, police scanner, Chumby, etc. Some of the bricks are 110v only (unlike say a 110/220 laptop brick which can do both).

So it got me wondering about a) buying a step-up transformer to handle 220v and then into the brick or b) simply buying a 'new' brick at Dixons that is 220v and outputs the same 9v or whatever comes out of the other end.

Basically, my question is can I simply substitute a 110v-only brick that outputs say 12v DC with a 220v-only brick that outputs a 12v DC? Aren't there a few specs (volts and amps or something) that would have to match perfectly? Could I just buy new bricks for my devices instead of step up transformers?
Old Oct 1st 2009, 6:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

helwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Electrical Question: Anything with a wall wart?

Originally Posted by penguinsix View Post
So I was staring at a bunch of electronic gadgets around the house contemplating the replacement cost if a possible move comes to fruition. These things are all plugged into 'wall wart' cords, i.e. cords with a big black 'brick' that goes into the outlet. The majority are 110v devices, such as a baby monitor, shortwave radio, police scanner, Chumby, etc. Some of the bricks are 110v only (unlike say a 110/220 laptop brick which can do both).

So it got me wondering about a) buying a step-up transformer to handle 220v and then into the brick or b) simply buying a 'new' brick at Dixons that is 220v and outputs the same 9v or whatever comes out of the other end.

Basically, my question is can I simply substitute a 110v-only brick that outputs say 12v DC with a 220v-only brick that outputs a 12v DC? Aren't there a few specs (volts and amps or something) that would have to match perfectly? Could I just buy new bricks for my devices instead of step up transformers?
All you need to be certain of the following:

1. That the low voltage you will be supplying out of your power supply to your end device is the correct voltage for that device. i.e. if your baby monitor spec. plate says it runs off 9Vdc, then your "brick" output needs to be 9Vdc.

2. Ensure that the power supply is able to supply enough current. i.e. if your baby monitor draws 1Amp when it operates, ensure your power supply can supply the correct voltage at AT LEAST that amount of current (more current capability in the power supply is better).

3. Ensure that you observe the correct polarity before you connect up any end devices that run off DC (direct current). i.e. make sure + goes to + and - goes to -.
Old Oct 2nd 2009, 12:44 am
Bob
SUPER MODERATOR

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

as mentioned above, shouldn't be a problem...also plenty of sites out there that do after market power bricks that are cheaper, and can search for UK based stores...
Old Oct 2nd 2009, 2:21 am

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point

Also, they go for peanuts, second hand. I've accrued most all the wall warts we need, for silly prices like 50 cents, in junk stores and at yard sales.
Old Oct 2nd 2009, 3:11 am
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chartreuse View Post
Also, they go for peanuts, second hand. I've accrued most all the wall warts we need, for silly prices like 50 cents, in junk stores and at yard sales.
If that fails there are thousands of them of every possible kind on eBay.
Old Oct 2nd 2009, 3:26 am
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by penguinsix View Post

Whoa! You have a Chumby... and a police scanner...

I thought I was a geeky gadget fiend!
Old Oct 2nd 2009, 10:32 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbj1000 View Post
Whoa! You have a Chumby... and a police scanner...

I thought I was a geeky gadget fiend!
That was just a few of the toys I could see on my desk. If I openned the closet of gadgets the wife threatened to throw away if she saw them again the list would be even more geeky.