Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Electrical items

Electrical items

Old Oct 30th 2016, 8:50 pm
Forum Regular

warwick3 has a reputation beyond reputewarwick3 has a reputation beyond reputewarwick3 has a reputation beyond reputewarwick3 has a reputation beyond reputewarwick3 has a reputation beyond reputewarwick3 has a reputation beyond reputewarwick3 has a reputation beyond reputewarwick3 has a reputation beyond reputewarwick3 has a reputation beyond reputewarwick3 has a reputation beyond reputewarwick3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Electrical items

Hi all
I have tried searching the forum but cannot find any information about electricals that, in reality, do and do not work in the US. Our movers are being very good with advice on packing but genuinely seem bewildered when we say we are not taking lamps, kitchen equipment, garden equipment etc because of the voltage differences. Are we being too paranoid?

I have read the info online about being careful with transformers, so really are just wondering what worked that you didn't expect to with just a plug adapter ( and, I guess, what you wished you'd left at home?).

Also, I have just applied for a Travelex SuperCard. Has anyone had any issues with using it in the US? Just trying to save on credit card transaction fees given the terrible exchange rate at the moment - until we have US wages and US bank cards anyway.
Old Oct 30th 2016, 9:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Electrical items

Originally Posted by warwick3
Also, I have just applied for a Travelex SuperCard. Has anyone had any issues with using it in the US? Just trying to save on credit card transaction fees given the terrible exchange rate at the moment - until we have US wages and US bank cards anyway.
Can't speak for the rest as I have no experience of moving goods.

What I do have is experience of the SuperCard. It worked remarkably well for my use case.

I used it to both get cash out of an ATM and in stores/restaurants.

Be warned that there is (at least when I used it) daily limits on usage.
Old Oct 30th 2016, 10:56 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

We have a WIKI on electricals

Should I bring my electrical goods? : British Expat Wiki
Old Oct 30th 2016, 11:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by penguinsix
TL;DR - If you have to ask then, no, you shouldn't bring any electrical goods with you from the UK to the US except for small, high value items such as laptops and computers which already have dual voltage power supplies.
Old Oct 31st 2016, 3:42 am
Forum Regular

Amy288 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have a super card and have used it for car rentals atm's restaurants gas stations etc with no issues whatsoever.
Old Oct 31st 2016, 5:52 am
Return of bouncing girl!

Wintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by warwick3
Hi all
I have tried searching the forum but cannot find any information about electricals that, in reality, do and do not work in the US. Our movers are being very good with advice on packing but genuinely seem bewildered when we say we are not taking lamps, kitchen equipment, garden equipment etc because of the voltage differences. Are we being too paranoid?
No you're not - don't bring them. With the exception of anything that is already set up for dual voltage, you'll find that it's a pointless waste of time to pay to ship things over. Transformers are bulky things and can be expensive: not worth it for anything that's relatively inexpensive, easily replaceable and has no emotional significance.