Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Electrical Equipment UK/US

Electrical Equipment UK/US

Old Nov 25th 2009, 6:29 am
Forum Regular

ImmortalNinja is a name known to allImmortalNinja is a name known to allImmortalNinja is a name known to allImmortalNinja is a name known to allImmortalNinja is a name known to allImmortalNinja is a name known to allImmortalNinja is a name known to allImmortalNinja is a name known to allImmortalNinja is a name known to allImmortalNinja is a name known to allImmortalNinja is a name known to all
Default Re: Electrical Equipment UK/US

Originally Posted by penguinsix
Isn't there some limit on Xbox Live if you move overseas? I thought a UK console would connect to the UK servers even if you were in the US, causing some serious lag.
Yes. But you'll have that issue regardless of if you have a uk machine or buy a new one in the us. The problem is the live account is set to a region and can't be changed. I haven't seen that much lag playing online. The main problem is you can't use an American credit card or any of the store bought live points cards on you uk account. Because I didn't want to lose my gamerscore or downloadables I end up buying uk points through the interwebs. It costs more though.
Old Nov 25th 2009, 12:35 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ImmortalNinja

Xbox 360: Game dependant. Some games are region coded some are not its up to the developer. As far as I know there is no mod that bypasses this. Also DVD playback is region locked. (I gave mine to a friend and bought a new one here as I wanted to upgrade to an Elite. I would suggest buying a new one mainly so that it can be replaced on warranty as they have a high failure rate)
already mentioned....u can mod to play other regions, but it breaks eula, so MS will brick the machine from playing online, they've gone it to a million consoles playing MW2 because the mod can play pirated games.

Other problem is, you account is tied to the UK and you can't switch the card around to a US one for buying stuff.
Old Nov 25th 2009, 3:02 pm
Forum Regular

ImmortalNinja is a name known to allImmortalNinja is a name known to allImmortalNinja is a name known to allImmortalNinja is a name known to allImmortalNinja is a name known to allImmortalNinja is a name known to allImmortalNinja is a name known to allImmortalNinja is a name known to allImmortalNinja is a name known to allImmortalNinja is a name known to allImmortalNinja is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Bob
already mentioned....u can mod to play other regions, but it breaks eula, so MS will brick the machine from playing online, they've gone it to a million consoles playing MW2 because the mod can play pirated games.
Not sure you read my post correctly and I didnt explain very well.
To be clear, most games on the 360 are region free so you wont need to mod your console to play.
The most common mod (reflashing the firmware of the dvd drive ) and the one responsible for all the bans wont actaully allow you play import games that have been region locked.

So the question of should you buy a new console in the US?
You dont need to as most games are region free. But I would if you want to be sure that you can play any game off the shelf and want the warranty.

Either way you'll have to choose between starting a new live account (and losing your gamescore and downloadables) or keeping a UK bank/credit account and paying UK live prices. (although there are sites that sell UK live points and email you the code)

(Heres a link with 360 game region compatablity:
http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-00-3-x...ide-49-en.html
)

Last edited by ImmortalNinja; Nov 25th 2009 at 3:04 pm. Reason: adding link
Old Dec 1st 2009, 2:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Nevada b4 California b4 Colorado b4 Valley of plastic and sand, b4 London
veryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.voltage-converter-transformers.com/

http://www.dvdoverseas.com/store/ind...talog91_0.html

Originally Posted by daven65
First post, so sorry if this has been asked before - I did look but couldn't see anything.

We're hopefully moving to the US next year under an L1 visa (not sure if it's A or B yet) and are wondering which (if any) of our electrical appliances we can take with us. I know my laptop works in the US (because the power adaptor handles all voltages and converts them to DC) but I have a feeling nothing else will.

How have others handled this? Sold everything and bought new/second-hand when they land? Most rentals seem to come with fridge/freezer/washing machine/dryer/microwave, so that's a start. I know TVs and DVD players will be no good because of the region difference but what about things like the Wii etc? I assume the Wii will work because it has a power adaptor - but are there regional versions for the output to a TV? I guess we'll need a new vacuum, kettle, toaster etc etc.

Thanks
Old Dec 2nd 2009, 12:39 am
Forum Regular

Clarki is an unknown quantity at this point

There's a definite ghd theme. Mine came with me too - along with camera and laptop. I sold everything else. I got a multi region dvd player to handle both uk and us dvds.