Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Electrical Equipment UK/US

Electrical Equipment UK/US

Old Nov 23rd 2009, 12:51 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Electrical Equipment UK/US

Originally Posted by mayhemuk
How would the PS3 work? Is it region free for games? I know it is not for DVDs Blurays?
aye, it's regionless for games.
Old Nov 23rd 2009, 1:38 am
Forum Regular

sarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nice

Originally Posted by mayhemuk
How would the PS3 work? Is it region free for games? I know it is not for DVDs Blurays?
Apparently the games are region free, but the DVD's arent
Old Nov 23rd 2009, 11:34 am
Account Closed

goldenstate31 is an unknown quantity at this point

US dvds are region 1
UK dvds are region 2
Old Nov 23rd 2009, 1:33 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by goldenstate31
US dvds are region 1
UK dvds are region 2
and?

regionless players aren't exactly hard to find, so dvd regions aren't an issues.

Even with Bluray, sure there might be regions, but most movies aren't region locked so generally not an issue there either.
Old Nov 23rd 2009, 2:05 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Bob
and?

regionless players aren't exactly hard to find, so dvd regions aren't an issues.

Even with Bluray, sure there might be regions, but most movies aren't region locked so generally not an issue there either.
No i was actually replying to a post, where someone had commented on dvds and players.
Old Nov 23rd 2009, 9:37 pm
Forum Regular

Lazzza is a name known to allLazzza is a name known to allLazzza is a name known to allLazzza is a name known to allLazzza is a name known to allLazzza is a name known to allLazzza is a name known to allLazzza is a name known to allLazzza is a name known to allLazzza is a name known to allLazzza is a name known to all

Sorry if I am being a bit dim but this is my hubbie's area, not mine (boys toys and all that). His work is paying our shipping but we have decided to leave all electriclas behind and buy new. But what about our DVDs? We have hundreds and i want to take them. Bob, does this mean we just buy a DVD player that will play them and also US ones?
Old Nov 23rd 2009, 9:58 pm
Account Closed

Best advice! Go to walmart pick a few dvd players that you are possibly interested in buying. Write the model/make down, go online, with those model numbers type into the mighty google, sony, x y z etc ..... How do I make my sony dvd player multi region?
Google will then give you various codes that unlock your chosen dvd player using your remote control.
Your dvd player now plays any dvd!
Voila!
Old Nov 23rd 2009, 10:09 pm
Forum Regular

Lazzza is a name known to allLazzza is a name known to allLazzza is a name known to allLazzza is a name known to allLazzza is a name known to allLazzza is a name known to allLazzza is a name known to allLazzza is a name known to allLazzza is a name known to allLazzza is a name known to allLazzza is a name known to all

Thank you. You see I really needed to know because I actually cleaned all our DVDs and then put them in alphabetical order, for ease of transport. My life might be in chaos but my DVDs will be in order!
Old Nov 23rd 2009, 10:14 pm
Account Closed

Lol lol you sound like me! I'm ocd anyway, but definately with the dvds! Ha ha
Old Nov 23rd 2009, 10:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lazzza
a) we have decided to leave all electriclas behind and buy new.

b) But what about our DVDs?
a) A wise decision.

b) No problem, Walmart has $45 DVD players that are easily region-free-able, they will play all manner of PAL and NTSC disks and all manner of DVD-ISO with DivX/Xvid downloaded AVI files too. It also has 1080p upscaling and an HDMI output for easy digital connection to your nice new LCD. Philips DVP-3982 is the one you're looking for. A new LCD will cope with PAL playback just fine.

As for the original question, forget about farting around with transformers and shipping all your old stuff over here, sell it and buy new stuff if it's a permanent move - laptops/PCs the only notable exception of course.

Last edited by BritishGuy36; Nov 24th 2009 at 12:00 am.
Old Nov 23rd 2009, 11:29 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by Lazzza
Bob, does this mean we just buy a DVD player that will play them and also US ones?
Post 14 answered that.
Old Nov 24th 2009, 12:23 am
Forum Regular

buckers is a name known to allbuckers is a name known to allbuckers is a name known to allbuckers is a name known to allbuckers is a name known to allbuckers is a name known to allbuckers is a name known to allbuckers is a name known to allbuckers is a name known to allbuckers is a name known to allbuckers is a name known to all

Hi

We moved over nearly a month ago and our Wii and xbox both work with the UK and US games. We checked when we came on our field trip by buying an xbox and Wii game over here and trying it out on the UK consoles and they worked fine, and vice versa over here. You can buy the power packs for them over here (cost around 20$ from target) and saved us a fortune in buying new games etc. We bought a US dvd player and got the code so that we could play both UK and US dvd's etc the player didnt cost that much, and it was more for the kids than for us.
I brought my hair dryer etc over, but whilst they do work with the adapter they arent as good but i picked up a new hair dryer for around $12 so it wasnt much at all.

Unfortunately most electricals wont work over here, even with the adapters, but check the appliance and see if it says 110-240v or just 240v - we brought our ipod player and a few other things over that had the 240v on them (things you dont use that often so you could use a traval adaptor on them) and it has saved a heap (although to be fair, electrical items over here are cheaper than the uk by far so you could save up and enjoy a spending spree when you get here or use the money from the items you sell in the UK etc)

Have fun either way and enjoy the ride.........its great.

Best regards
Old Nov 24th 2009, 12:25 am
Forum Regular

buckers is a name known to allbuckers is a name known to allbuckers is a name known to allbuckers is a name known to allbuckers is a name known to allbuckers is a name known to allbuckers is a name known to allbuckers is a name known to allbuckers is a name known to allbuckers is a name known to allbuckers is a name known to all

Originally Posted by buckers
Hi

We moved over nearly a month ago and our Wii and xbox both work with the UK and US games. We checked when we came on our field trip by buying an xbox and Wii game over here and trying it out on the UK consoles and they worked fine, and vice versa over here. You can buy the power packs for them over here (cost around 20$ from target) and saved us a fortune in buying new games etc. We bought a US dvd player and got the code so that we could play both UK and US dvd's etc the player didnt cost that much, and it was more for the kids than for us.
I brought my hair dryer etc over, but whilst they do work with the adapter they arent as good but i picked up a new hair dryer for around $12 so it wasnt much at all.

Unfortunately most electricals wont work over here, even with the adapters, but check the appliance and see if it says 110-240v or just 240v - we brought our ipod player and a few other things over that had the 240v on them (things you dont use that often so you could use a traval adaptor on them) and it has saved a heap (although to be fair, electrical items over here are cheaper than the uk by far so you could save up and enjoy a spending spree when you get here or use the money from the items you sell in the UK etc)

Have fun either way and enjoy the ride.........its great.

Best regards
sorry meant to say we brought over items that were 110v - 240v, not the 240v items..............long day and all that
Old Nov 24th 2009, 9:21 pm
Forum Regular

ImmortalNinja is a name known to allImmortalNinja is a name known to allImmortalNinja is a name known to allImmortalNinja is a name known to allImmortalNinja is a name known to allImmortalNinja is a name known to allImmortalNinja is a name known to allImmortalNinja is a name known to allImmortalNinja is a name known to allImmortalNinja is a name known to allImmortalNinja is a name known to all

First and foremost I would check the voltage rating on the appliances. They should tell you if it will work or not. And some have a switch to change mode. Make sure you check the for switches before plugging anything in!!!

For us it was a balance between the hassle of shipping and the cost of buying new. For small appliances like toaster and blenders we bought new when we moved here.
All our computer equipment we kept (apart from the scanner which was 240 only).
TV we bought new becuase well I wanted a newer better one and it would have cost almost the same for the extra shipping.

Finally for games consoles:

Wii: Games are region coded so US games wont work on UK wii. You can mod your wii quite easily to bypass this though. (I modded my UK maching and kept it. Although I ended up buying a new power transformer. This was mainly for convience of not having to use a plug adapter)

Xbox 360: Game dependant. Some games are region coded some are not its up to the developer. As far as I know there is no mod that bypasses this. Also DVD playback is region locked. (I gave mine to a friend and bought a new one here as I wanted to upgrade to an Elite. I would suggest buying a new one mainly so that it can be replaced on warranty as they have a high failure rate)

PS3: Most games are region free although there are censorship differences. (Eg Resistance is censored when playing on any jap machine but the same disc will be uncensored on a UK machine). Blu-ray and dvd players are region locked. (I kept my Jap machine and am just careful about buying region free blu ray and dvd discs.)

Finally Hair dryers and lamps.
Some travel hair dryers will let you switch from 110 to 240. If your hair dryer does not buy a new one. Even if you buy a voltage coverter becuase of the high current a dryer draws when it turns on it will most likely blow the fuse in your converter and/or house.
Our lamps worked but because it was running on half voltage they were half as bright.

Hope this helps.

KK
Old Nov 24th 2009, 11:43 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Isn't there some limit on Xbox Live if you move overseas? I thought a UK console would connect to the UK servers even if you were in the US, causing some serious lag.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.