Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Electrical appliances

Electrical appliances

Old Sep 23rd 2004, 2:27 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Electrical appliances

Originally Posted by USBound
Oh.. and regarding the power convertor/voltage changers.. you will find that they get VERY VERY hot .....
.... which is why I said, above, get one that has about twice the power handling capacity that you'll ever need. The one I run my hifi from only ever gets a little warm.
.... and often supply slightly more voltage that you require. Unless you opt for a very expensive one that is.
It depends what you mean by "expensive", DVD Overseas will sell you a 2KW voltage stabilizing transformer for $110 plus shipping, which is a bargain compared to a good hifi, and 500W one for $45, but I'd agree it's probably not worth buying a transformer for it for a garden-variety gaming machine.
Old Sep 23rd 2004, 2:46 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatman
Okay I was wondering if anyone could help me (again) despite my girlfriend trying to get me to sell my playstation before I moved, my brother begging me to just let him have it. I stubbornly held on to it and brought it here (I also need something that will play my collection of English DVD's). However getting some sort of English to American socket adapter that would let me plug it in seems to be very hard, has anyone else had this problem. perhaps they couldn't bear to part with their favourite hairdryer or something, if so what did you do?. Would you need to buy some sort of appliance that adjusts voltage or whatnot.

also, has anyone noticed that American pints are smaller than English ones?
http://www.threedoubleyou.com/converters.htm

That to convert the video signal, power should be fine, get a plug adaptor...
as for pints, yeah, annoying that ain't it, and US imperial is smaller, so the pint is a lot small than the pint is anyway...
Old Sep 23rd 2004, 3:10 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Uh? Is that anything like a mint imperial?
Well it is an imperial measurement, just not the same sized measurement in blighty is it...
anyway, just give me a litre anyday, that doesn't change...
Old Sep 23rd 2004, 5:30 am
BE Forum Addict

USBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
It depends what you mean by "expensive", DVD Overseas will sell you a 2KW voltage stabilizing transformer for $110 plus shipping, which is a bargain compared to a good hifi, and 500W one for $45, but I'd agree it's probably not worth buying a transformer for it for a garden-variety gaming machine.

what I meant by this was... unless you get a voltage convertor that ACTUALLY handles the rate at which the power is delivered then what you actually get is roughly 20% more voltage than was intended.

so... a power supply that outputs 12V on a UK power source (240V @ 50Hz) would be getting 240V @ 60Hz here thus outputting 13.2V, I have tried 5 different units here (all the ones below $100) and they ALL do this. For most applications its not a problem... for my laptop.. it was
Old Sep 23rd 2004, 6:49 am
The fattest member

fatman is a name known to allfatman is a name known to allfatman is a name known to allfatman is a name known to allfatman is a name known to allfatman is a name known to allfatman is a name known to allfatman is a name known to allfatman is a name known to allfatman is a name known to allfatman is a name known to all

Thank's for all yer help everyone, If I had known it was going to be so complicated and expensive I'd have sold me PS2 back in blighty, oh well it gives me the excuse I need to get a gamecube, and I do need to play the new mariokart...
Old Sep 23rd 2004, 9:56 am
6ka
Just Joined

6ka is an unknown quantity at this point

Simple question - I am moving from UK to US. Will my TV and video work in US? i can use adaptors for power but was wondering about reception of channels ?
Old Sep 23rd 2004, 1:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

USBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 6ka
Simple question - I am moving from UK to US. Will my TV and video work in US? i can use adaptors for power but was wondering about reception of channels ?
to Receive the american TV signals from a cable or satelite box all that is required normally is a component input into the TV, HOWEVER the tv must also handle NTSC ( most UK Tv's do ). Your video however is VERY unlikely to handle NTSC. My Advice would be, unless you REALLY need it (large video collection) then don't bother, sell it in the UK. Buy one 10x bigger here from the proceeds.
Old Sep 23rd 2004, 2:10 pm

James Box has a brilliant futureJames Box has a brilliant futureJames Box has a brilliant futureJames Box has a brilliant futureJames Box has a brilliant futureJames Box has a brilliant futureJames Box has a brilliant future

what I meant by this was... unless you get a voltage convertor that ACTUALLY handles the rate at which the power is delivered then what you actually get is roughly 20% more voltage than was intended.

so... a power supply that outputs 12V on a UK power source (240V @ 50Hz) would be getting 240V @ 60Hz here thus outputting 13.2V, I have tried 5 different units here (all the ones below $100) and they ALL do this. For most applications its not a problem... for my laptop.. it was
Most European electronics are rated for 220-240V and 50-60Hz. I'm surprised that a laptop (something you'd expect to take abroad) had a problem with it.
Old Sep 23rd 2004, 2:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by James Box
Most European electronics are rated for 220-240V and 50-60Hz. I'm surprised that a laptop (something you'd expect to take abroad) had a problem with it.

I checked the output voltage from the power supply, it was supposed to output 19.4V (strange I know) but WAS actually outputting more like 23V. First off I thought my meter was wrong. but nope.. Verified it with other power supplies all giving off the correct values.

the laptop basically overheated in a matter of minutes
Old Sep 23rd 2004, 2:39 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by fatman
Thank's for all yer help everyone, If I had known it was going to be so complicated and expensive I'd have sold me PS2 back in blighty, oh well it gives me the excuse I need to get a gamecube, and I do need to play the new mariokart...
Wait till the summer and get the new ps3 or xbox2
Old Sep 23rd 2004, 2:40 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Buy one 10x bigger here from the proceeds.
Plus the weight makes it silly...
Old Sep 23rd 2004, 3:26 pm
Can't Wait To Get There

pedro66 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bob
Plus the weight makes it silly...
For your laptop problem try here http://ebay.xppassport.com/ look in clearence at the Juice 70 what make of laptop are you having issues with?
Old Sep 23rd 2004, 3:49 pm
Forum Regular

Haldaman is a name known to allHaldaman is a name known to allHaldaman is a name known to allHaldaman is a name known to allHaldaman is a name known to allHaldaman is a name known to allHaldaman is a name known to allHaldaman is a name known to allHaldaman is a name known to allHaldaman is a name known to allHaldaman is a name known to all
Talking Re: Electrical appliances

When I get to NC for the last time (yehaa!) next month I will be taking two Sunpower ("power you can trust") 100VA stepup transformers for my wonderful HP printer/scanner /copier and a small appliance or two. I have Sunpower's USA-UK transformer here in Bristol and have been using it for yonks with no problems at all. The transformers are £29.99 each from Maplins but my son works there so I got them 1/2 price (smug!). I have a DELL 1100 laptop I bought in the USA and the power supply is an automatic transformer so to run it in the UK all I needed was a plug/socket adapter. Again no problem even tho the Dell transformer gets quite warm.
Old Sep 23rd 2004, 4:41 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by pedro66
For your laptop problem try here http://ebay.xppassport.com/ look in clearence at the Juice 70 what make of laptop are you having issues with?
I aint' the one having issues
Old Sep 23rd 2004, 5:34 pm
The fattest member

fatman is a name known to allfatman is a name known to allfatman is a name known to allfatman is a name known to allfatman is a name known to allfatman is a name known to allfatman is a name known to allfatman is a name known to allfatman is a name known to allfatman is a name known to allfatman is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Bob
Wait till the summer and get the new ps3 or xbox2

Is all that coming out so soon? I've only just moved here to be with my girlfriend, I guess she won't be seeing so much of me next year....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.