British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Electric Kettle (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/electric-kettle-250244/)

antjen Aug 22nd 2004 1:30 pm

Electric Kettle

this sounds quite silly and has probably come up before, but one of the important things we have to buy when we go to america shortly is an electric kettle - though from what we know and have found on the net - because they are not so common in usa there is a lack of choice, compared to over here where we would like to buy a nice looking one (yes i know any kettle boils water just as good :) - so would a kettle brought over here with a plug adapter work ok in usa??, thanks!

Ant

Ray Aug 22nd 2004 1:45 pm

Re: Electric Kettle

I had terrible trouble finding a cordless one in Florida a few years back when I needed a new one .. but got a nice Braun by mail order
http://www.bizrate.com/buy/products_...-13050820.html

Your UK one is for 230v where out here its 110v ..leave it behind..

Pulaski Aug 22nd 2004 1:58 pm

Target sells 'em, and has several others to choose from (besides the one in the link, above).

They a seem to be getting more common in the US, and you should quite easily be able to find other stores that carry them.

Ben Aug 22nd 2004 2:15 pm

I agree with Pulaski they are definitely becoming more common. You can buy many different varieties, varying in price from good to expensive from many different stores - Target, Walmart, Kmart, Linens n Things, Bed, Bath and Beyond, Sears etc. I purchased a small one for $10 which is great for taking on holiday with us (hotels only supply coffee making, not boiling water for tea) and have a really nice cordless one for every day home use. You can get a decent sized white one for well under $30.:)

vegas Aug 22nd 2004 2:47 pm

so would a kettle brought over here with a plug adapter work ok in usa??, thanks!

No It would not work

Also the choice over here now is pretty good so why bother?

fatbrit Aug 22nd 2004 3:14 pm

Try Braun Kettle @ WallyMart.

Pimpbot Aug 22nd 2004 4:50 pm

We got our's from Bed Bath and Beyond. I've noticed recently though, that you can pretty much get them most places now.

Bob Aug 22nd 2004 4:55 pm

Originally Posted by antjen
this sounds quite silly and has probably come up before, but one of the important things we have to buy when we go to america shortly is an electric kettle - though from what we know and have found on the net - because they are not so common in usa there is a lack of choice, compared to over here where we would like to buy a nice looking one (yes i know any kettle boils water just as good :) - so would a kettle brought over here with a plug adapter work ok in usa??, thanks!

Ant

Just a thought, but why not a stove top jobby?
Nothing beats that annoying whistle...had to break that off :)

207lonsdale Aug 22nd 2004 6:09 pm

I got mine from www.amazon.com

honeymommy Aug 22nd 2004 6:32 pm

Originally Posted by Bob
Just a thought, but why not a stove top jobby?
Nothing beats that annoying whistle...had to break that off :)

We had a stove top jobbie also... Had a really annoying whistle so you had to turn it off quick... Kids used to dive into the kitchen to turn it off... Guess you could say that was an automatic kettle for me as I hardly ever switched it off... :D

We did later buy an electric... They are everywhere now..... 1.7ltr cordless for about $30.

Oh... If you want tea when you wake up... Just put the tea bags in the filter coffee jug and use the timer..... Brews an OK cup if you wake up on time... LOL.... Well the kids drank it anyway... I prefer my coffee.... :D

dbark Aug 22nd 2004 7:00 pm

Originally Posted by fatbrit

Yep, I have that very kettle that my sister bought as our wedding present. It works great. But reading that link made me smile!

Now you can boil water quicker than you do on a stove or in a microwave! It's also great for preparing beverages, instant foods, baby formula and purifying water.

Hilarious! They make it sound like they just invented the electric kettle! :rolleyes:

Debbie

lynnxa Aug 22nd 2004 7:15 pm

when we lived in Florida, we came here to Spain on holiday (where we now live) with some born & bred Floridians. They had NO CLUE what a kettle was - or how to use it!!!

dunroving Aug 22nd 2004 7:32 pm

Originally Posted by xabiachica
when we lived in Florida, we came here to Spain on holiday (where we now live) with some born & bred Floridians. They had NO CLUE what a kettle was - or how to use it!!!

Seems like a lot of people here in the South call it a "tea kettle" - is that common elsewhere in the US?

fatbrit Aug 22nd 2004 8:04 pm

Originally Posted by dbark
Hilarious! They make it sound like they just invented the electric kettle! :rolleyes:
Debbie

Hey! They invented democracy, freedom, capitalism, happiness, etc. Why not the electric kettle, too?

tinaflorida Aug 22nd 2004 9:04 pm

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Hey! They invented democracy, freedom, capitalism, happiness, etc. Why not the electric kettle, too?

Don't forget that Al Gore invented the Internet. He's regular modern-day Edison.

I got bought a nice Kenwood kettle as a gift when I moved here. One of my English friends was horrified that I didn't have one and decided to remedy the situation - even though I've told her time and again that I drink tea about twice a year.