Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Election time

Election time

Old Oct 25th 2006, 8:14 pm
Slight chance of Showers

dan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond repute
Default Election time

It's that time of the year again which makes me actually MISS party political broadcasts. The contest has become so heated here in TN it has been making the national news recently. Also because of Memphis's location we tend to get all of the mud from Arkansas and Mississippi too. Almost 80% of the commercials now are election related.

How are things in your neck of the woods?
Old Oct 25th 2006, 8:33 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Election time

Originally Posted by dan_alford
It's that time of the year again which makes me actually MISS party political broadcasts. The contest has become so heated here in TN it has been making the national news recently. Also because of Memphis's location we tend to get all of the mud from Arkansas and Mississippi too. Almost 80% of the commercials now are election related.

Not much activity since there aren't any "important" races locally.... but I did get a phone pollster calling the other day.
Old Oct 25th 2006, 8:50 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Lots of trash talk, shite campaign ads, and talks about stopping illegal immigrants from driving in this state...on thing is, they also group anyone who can't get a SSN in that category such as H4's etc....all very dumb.

But the big issue is number 1, for yes or no to allow grocery stores to sell wine.
Old Oct 25th 2006, 8:54 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Governor race here,
between incumbent Jennifer Granholm - D
and Dick Devos - R

lots of mudslinging on both sides.

tired of it.
I think Devos will win, but only because people have short memories.
Old Oct 25th 2006, 9:11 pm
Senior Moment

Sarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob

But the big issue is number 1, for yes or no to allow grocery stores to sell wine.
Wow, had no idea Mass was as backward as PA.
Its crazy isn't it, wine FFS, not guns, but wine. Makes me want to beat someone round the head with a crobar.
Old Oct 25th 2006, 9:22 pm
The Unmod

paddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond repute

You have one of the big and dirty races going on there. We've got it hot and heavy too. Senator sanctimonious is behind, but then he usually is and pulls it off, but I hope not this time. I have Representative Weldon in a tough race and crying foul, too. Charges were laid 2 1/2 years ago that he was sending government contracts to companies that hired his daughter's consulting/lobbying business, and the feds just went in with, warrants, last week. It's a mystery why the Republican led feds moved now, before the election. Weldon's approach is to send out negative mailings and phone calls about his opponent; which is funny because he's giving him name recognition.
Old Oct 25th 2006, 9:26 pm
Forum Regular

bettyboop80 has a reputation beyond reputebettyboop80 has a reputation beyond reputebettyboop80 has a reputation beyond reputebettyboop80 has a reputation beyond reputebettyboop80 has a reputation beyond reputebettyboop80 has a reputation beyond reputebettyboop80 has a reputation beyond reputebettyboop80 has a reputation beyond reputebettyboop80 has a reputation beyond reputebettyboop80 has a reputation beyond reputebettyboop80 has a reputation beyond repute

I will be SO glad when this is all over (i work in advertising and its CRAZY here)
Old Oct 25th 2006, 9:28 pm
Slight chance of Showers

dan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paddingtongreen
You have one of the big and dirty races going on there. We've got it hot and heavy too. Senator sanctimonious is behind, but then he usually is and pulls it off, but I hope not this time. I have Representative Weldon in a tough race and crying foul, too. Charges were laid 2 1/2 years ago that he was sending government contracts to companies that hired his daughter's consulting/lobbying business, and the feds just went in with, warrants, last week. It's a mystery why the Republican led feds moved now, before the election. Weldon's approach is to send out negative mailings and phone calls about his opponent; which is funny because he's giving him name recognition.
I am actually suprised corker or the RNC haven't ran anything about Ford's family. His uncle and cousin's were actually involved in a wrestling match last year. One of his uncle's got done for taking bribes as part of Tennessee waltz trap and his aunt's election to a state seat was thrown out due to iregularities.

The other strange thing is you have two candidates who are both centrists for their parties, Ford who is and anti-aboriton Democrat and Corker who is a pro abortion Republican.
Old Oct 26th 2006, 12:27 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sarah
Wow, had no idea Mass was as backward as PA.
Its crazy isn't it, wine FFS, not guns, but wine. Makes me want to beat someone round the head with a crobar.
it's weird really, because some stores are allowed to sell wine, well I think a chain is allowed one store per town or county or something....and that includes beer...no hard booze.

This proposal will only be for wine, but it's still quite restrictive, but it's better than what's on offer at the mo.

The other things in the vote are kind of a non-event, it's all about this booze jobby
Old Oct 26th 2006, 2:06 am
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute

Well here in Illinois we have a governor's race. The state treasurer, Judy Barr Topinka (R) is running (she helped jailed ex-gov Ryan get us into a $5 billion deficit) against Rod Blagojevich (D), the incumbant, who is pretty clean for a politician.
Old Oct 26th 2006, 2:23 am
The Unmod

paddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond repute

I am actually suprised corker or the RNC haven't ran anything about Ford's family. His uncle and cousin's were actually involved in a wrestling match last year. One of his uncle's got done for taking bribes as part of Tennessee waltz trap and his aunt's election to a state seat was thrown out due to iregularities.

The other strange thing is you have two candidates who are both centrists for their parties, Ford who is and anti-aboriton Democrat and Corker who is a pro abortion Republican.
These contests loom large because the central parties are involved. You could have two candidates exactly the same and get a big fight if it was a marginal seat because the central parties are trying for a majority in the houses of congress. The worst ads in your state are placed by the national committees.
Old Oct 26th 2006, 3:05 am
Time Lord

dgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Manc
Governor race here,
between incumbent Jennifer Granholm - D
and Dick Devos - R

lots of mudslinging on both sides.

tired of it.
I think Devos will win, but only because people have short memories.
You've got that right Manc! I've never seen such a negative campaign. I don't think i've seen a single positive commercial from either side, it's all about painting their opponent as a money grabbing egomaniac who doesn't give a toss about the average American (although that could sum up most politicians).

Granholm was eight points in front the last time I saw a poll, but it'll all come down to who can get the most shit to stick. And to be honest, to quote someone from work, "If DeVos Wins, We're F***ed."

Last edited by dgsyd1; Oct 26th 2006 at 3:08 am.
Old Oct 26th 2006, 6:20 am
who turned out the light?

Irn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
it's weird really, because some stores are allowed to sell wine, well I think a chain is allowed one store per town or county or something....and that includes beer...no hard booze.

This proposal will only be for wine, but it's still quite restrictive, but it's better than what's on offer at the mo.

The other things in the vote are kind of a non-event, it's all about this booze jobby
feel so sorry for you, I'm upset enough that I can't buy hard booze at my local supermarket. If I couldn't buy wine, I'd be mad!
Old Oct 26th 2006, 7:43 am
BE Forum Addict

CitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond repute

We have loads of people up for election in New York... You can't drive past a patch of grass without seeing an election board for one person or the other...

Got be honest, I have no idea who people are voting for. The only person I've ever heard of before is Hillary.
Old Oct 26th 2006, 12:24 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by irnbru4u
feel so sorry for you, I'm upset enough that I can't buy hard booze at my local supermarket. If I couldn't buy wine, I'd be mad!
I know...could get booze of all sorts in maine, just had to find a grocery store near enough...seems a whole world apart *lol*

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.