British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Election Results (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/election-results-406721/)

Manc Nov 8th 2006 1:14 am

Election Results

Well done Pensylvannia.............Santorum, gone...........

TRPardoe Nov 8th 2006 1:21 am

Re: Election Results

Right now there are only 5% precincts reporting and the result so far is 69% Casey 31% Santorum.

95% of the returns are not yet in. Even with statistics being what they are I think you may be a bit premature although I agree with the sentiment.

Originally Posted by Manc
Well done Pensylvannia.............Santorum, gone...........

Manc Nov 8th 2006 1:28 am

Originally Posted by TRPardoe
Right now there are only 5% precincts reporting and the result so far is 69% Casey 31% Santorum.

95% of the returns are not yet in. Even with statistics being what they are I think you may be a bit premature although I agree with the sentiment.

seems all over bar the shouting though I think

BritGuyTN Nov 8th 2006 1:43 am

Stupid tennesseans

Looks like that ***** corker is going to get in

Also i'm embarrassed to se that 80% of people in the state said yes to amending the constitution to define marriage as being a union between a man and a woman

BigDavyG Nov 8th 2006 1:53 am

Originally Posted by BritGuyTN
Also i'm embarrassed to se that 80% of people in the state said yes to amending the constitution to define marriage as being a union between a man and a woman

Err, that's because it is, what with it essentially being a religious concept after all.
I can see no reason why gay couples cannot be given the same rights as married ones, but why bother arguing over what are essentially semantics.

Manc Nov 8th 2006 1:55 am

Stupid tennesseans

That pisses me off to.......God's law supercedes the Constitution of the USA where everyone is equal and have the same rights.

A bit like Sharia law really

NC Penguin Nov 8th 2006 1:57 am

Stupid tennesseans

I think that's the TN way of giving the thumbs up to marital infidelity :rolleyes:

NC Penguin

Sally Nov 8th 2006 1:57 am

Originally Posted by BigDavyG
Err, that's because it is, what with it essentially being a religious concept after all.
I can see no reason why gay couples cannot be given the same rights as married ones, but why bother arguing over what are essentially semantics.

Don't agree at all. My husband and I are atheists and had a civil ceremony.

BigDavyG Nov 8th 2006 1:59 am

That pisses me off to.......God's law supercedes the Constitution of the USA where everyone is equal and have the same rights.

A bit like Sharia law really

But even in the UK the distinction is made between marriages and civil partnerships is it not ??
Is the UK a Sharia state too ?? :confused:

Manc Nov 8th 2006 2:01 am

Originally Posted by BigDavyG
But even in the UK the distinction is made between marriages and civil partnerships is it not ??
Is the UK a Sharia state too ?? :confused:

what is the difference between sharia law, and saying "God does like homo's so lets legislate against them"

TRPardoe Nov 8th 2006 2:02 am

Santorum just conceded.

A good thing too.

Leslie Nov 8th 2006 2:03 am

Dem's are making a good showing overall.

No surprises in Texas though.. :mad:

TRPardoe Nov 8th 2006 2:07 am

Isn't it about time that Texas seceded from the Union? I think they retained the right to do so.

Originally Posted by Leslie66
Dem's are making a good showing overall.

No surprises in Texas though.. :mad:

BigDavyG Nov 8th 2006 2:08 am

what is the difference between sharia law, and saying "God does like homo's so lets legislate against them"

Ahh - not allowing 'gay marriage' is not discriminatory if you allow civil partnerships as the UK has done, because then essentially all you are doing is defining marriage as something for a man and woman. Given that the concept has its roots in religion which by and large wasn't too keen on homosexuality I see nothing wrong with that.

However denying gay couples the same rights as married couples - well that's a different kettle of fish entirely and its morally indefensible.

So back to the original point - are people saying that gays can't get married or are they denying them the same rights as married couples - big difference.

Leslie Nov 8th 2006 2:09 am

Originally Posted by TRPardoe
Isn't it about time that Texas seceded from the Union? I think they retained the right to do so.

LA LA LA LA LA LA <fingers in ears> I can't hear you! :p