British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Election Poll 2 (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/election-poll-2-a-512607/)

vegas Feb 7th 2008 5:10 pm

Election Poll 2

As Obama won our last poll. Romney suspended his presidential campaign and Huckabee with no chance lets see how you will vote now.

Bob Feb 7th 2008 5:55 pm

Re: Election Poll 2

Not that I can vote....

paddingtongreen Feb 7th 2008 5:57 pm

Is this for those who actually have a vote, or everybody's preference?

vegas Feb 7th 2008 5:58 pm

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 5900446)
Not that I can vote....

Neither can I till 2010. I was curious to see if we Brits will vote the same way as the Americans.

Brav Feb 7th 2008 8:31 pm

None of them. I'd rather write in Chuck E' Cheese.

Brav Feb 7th 2008 8:35 pm

By the way just because candidates have no chance why should people vote for the top runners? Do we get bonus points for voting for a winner? Is that the purpose of voting? To try and pick the winner? Not the individual we agree with most on the various issues? I'll be writing in Ron Paul. Whether or not he gets 50% of the vote or 5%. I still would

Xebedee Feb 7th 2008 8:44 pm

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by vegas (Post 5900208)
As Obama won our last poll. Romney suspended his presidential campaign and Huckabee with no chance lets see how you will vote now.

They're all Liberals.
We need someone like this to shake the country up. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

paddingtongreen Feb 7th 2008 9:12 pm

Originally Posted by Brav (Post 5901366)
By the way just because candidates have no chance why should people vote for the top runners? Do we get bonus points for voting for a winner? Is that the purpose of voting? To try and pick the winner? Not the individual we agree with most on the various issues? I'll be writing in Ron Paul. Whether or not he gets 50% of the vote or 5%. I still would

Look at the 2000 election. The 5% who voted for Nader, gave the election to GWB, even though they would have much preferred Gore over Bush.

It was an expensive application of principle.

Brav Feb 7th 2008 9:22 pm

If 100% of that 5% would have gone to John Kerry instead; would that have given him the majority in ELECTORAL votes? I'm asking this because I do not know :confused: Either way, I stand by what I said.

Pharrya Feb 8th 2008 12:04 am

I'll be eligible to vote for the first time in the US this time round. Who for? Don't know. I'm registered as Unaffiliated.

Look at the 2000 election. The 5% who voted for Nader, gave the election to GWB, even though they would have much preferred Gore over Bush.

It was an expensive application of principle.
This whole Nader nonsense really get's my goat. People whine constantly how it's a two party system - then lo and behold someone else shows up and captures a few votes and then the whining continues.....

vegas Feb 10th 2008 11:51 pm

Clinton Campaign Manager Is Out

looks like it is starting to go pear shaped for hillary

http://thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com/2...ger-is-out/?hp

cpltony Feb 11th 2008 12:37 am

Huckabee.
The race isn't over yet and Romney still has delegates.

fatbrit Feb 11th 2008 2:28 pm

Originally Posted by cpltony (Post 5914498)
Huckabee.
The race isn't over yet and Romney still has delegates.

Hey.....I'm gunning for the Rev. Hook, too! Best candidate ever for the Repugs in my book. Much better than that terrible, liberal McCain chap.

Rete Feb 11th 2008 2:43 pm

Why isn't there a "none of the above"

paddingtongreen Feb 11th 2008 3:07 pm

Originally Posted by Pharrya (Post 5902283)
I'll be eligible to vote for the first time in the US this time round. Who for? Don't know. I'm registered as Unaffiliated.

This whole Nader nonsense really get's my goat. People whine constantly how it's a two party system - then lo and behold someone else shows up and captures a few votes and then the whining continues.....

It's not whining, simply a statement of truth. The whole system is geared up against third parties or independents. In PA, to get on the ballot, you need petitions that include at least 2% of the electorate, each signing, printing name, giving full address and date, who voted for the same type of office in the previous election. If you want to get on as president this time, you need 2% of 2,886,000 petitioners, that looks like 47,720 signers say 50,000 to allow for some to be thrown out, and trust me, the two major parties inspect and check every entry. That is a huge number to collect.

I live in Delaware County, it is run by the Republicans, so even though i am independent in thought, I am registered as Republican so I get a say in candidate selection.

Back to Nader. Nader's policies were to the left of Gore's, so for the Nader supporters, a Bush win should have been the worst result. Game theory says they should have voted for Gore to avoid the worst result. We all have the right to vote for whom we wish, but sometimes, making a quixotic statement with your vote can spite your face.