Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Election 2005

Election 2005

Old May 4th 2005, 9:12 pm
No, it's toe-mart-o!

Chandler has a brilliant futureChandler has a brilliant futureChandler has a brilliant futureChandler has a brilliant futureChandler has a brilliant futureChandler has a brilliant futureChandler has a brilliant future
Default Election 2005

Does anyone know where we can watch/listen to the election results from the UK tomorrow?

Thanks
Mrs Chandler
Old May 4th 2005, 9:23 pm
Get em out by Friday

tony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Election 2005

Originally Posted by Chandler
Does anyone know where we can watch/listen to the election results from the UK tomorrow?

Thanks
Mrs Chandler
It's on Radio 4 - live coverage starts 10pm UK time. I think this is only for digital subscribers though. But it is also on 5 live and BBC World Service.
Old May 4th 2005, 9:51 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Re: Election 2005

I had the worldwide news on BBC America this morning and they said that they will be covering the results as they come in....so I don't know if they're scrapping the programmes normally on tomorrow late afternoon/early evening (it would be no loss, it's probably all the usual crap repeats like Graham Norton, Benny Hill & Kumars at no 42). I think the polls close at 9pm in Blighty don't they, so it will be 4pm Eastern time when I guess the TV coverage will begin?

If you don't have BBC America, you can see the latest election coverage here:

http://www.bbcamerica.com/genre/news/news_resource.jsp

And if you want to have a go on Peter Snow's Swingometer (I miss watching him, he really is an institution isn't he? I can even remember when Robin Day used to be on the telly on election night)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politi...05/default.stm

I didn't even register to vote this time (you can vote if you left the UK within the previous 15 years). I voted for Labour in the last two elections but I'm disillusioned with Tony Blair (like Thatcher I think he's been in charge for too long and it's gone to his head) but I don't think much of the alternatives either. I do know quite a few people back home who won't vote tomorrow either - they don't like Labour anymore but think the Tories and Lib Dems are useless. I reckon there will be a low voter turnout for sure, but Labour will get in again. I've seen a couple of columnists writing that they'd like to see a 'hung' parliament so there would be a prospect of another early election being called; including former Cabinet Minister Mo Mowlam:

http://comment.independent.co.uk/com...p?story=635409

Oooh, I've just found this interactive map on the Sky News website; you can type in your (old) postcode and see who won the seat when the election results are in:

http://news.sky.com/election/

Last edited by Englishmum; May 4th 2005 at 9:57 pm.
Old May 4th 2005, 11:54 pm
Just Joined

McApple is an unknown quantity at this point

I believe that C-SPAN 2 is showing the live BBC coverage if you don't have BBC America.

Does anyone know where in manhattan might be showing the coverage for political junkies...? I just can't imagine not watching Peter Snow and his swingometer, getting some coloured pencils and a map of the UK, settling in for the evening of local tv people having a moment of national fame and really pedantic reporting officers.

---------------------------

[QUOTE=Englishmum]I had the worldwide news on BBC America this morning and they said that they will be covering the results as they come in....
Old May 5th 2005, 12:06 am
Just Joined

Feezy has a spectacular aura aboutFeezy has a spectacular aura aboutFeezy has a spectacular aura about

Just go to BBC.co.uk and check out Radio 4. As long as you have Real Player (or equivalent) you can listen pretty much all day I should think. that's what I'm planning on doing
Old May 5th 2005, 11:15 am
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

I'll be watching C-Span when I get home from work.
Old May 5th 2005, 11:53 am

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Post Re: Election 2005

Aha....polls opened at 7am and close at 10pm (UK time) and here's the latest:

http://www.sky.com/skynews/article/0...180692,00.html
Old May 5th 2005, 11:57 am
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishmum
Aha....polls opened at 7am and close at 10pm (UK time) and here's the latest:

http://www.sky.com/skynews/article/0...180692,00.html
seeing whom Sky is owned by, I was surprised the article hasn't declared Michael Howard the winner already.
Old May 5th 2005, 12:15 pm

Talking Re: Election 2005

Originally Posted by Manc
seeing whom Sky is owned by, I was surprised the article hasn't declared Michael Howard the winner already.
Well, I don't know about that....Rupert Murdoch also owns "The Sun" tabloid and they're supporting Blair again.

http://www.thesun.co.uk
Old May 5th 2005, 12:32 pm
@matthewb76

Well, I don't know about that....Rupert Murdoch also owns "The Sun" tabloid and they're supporting Blair again.

I saw that in the football thread.
bizarre world no?
Old May 5th 2005, 12:33 pm
Forum Regular

UJ_99 has a brilliant futureUJ_99 has a brilliant futureUJ_99 has a brilliant futureUJ_99 has a brilliant futureUJ_99 has a brilliant futureUJ_99 has a brilliant futureUJ_99 has a brilliant future

[QUOTE=McApple]I believe that C-SPAN 2 is showing the live BBC coverage if you don't have BBC America.QUOTE]

It is, from 4:56pm;
http://inside.c-spanarchives.org:808...n/schedule.csp

and CSPAN2 is available over the web
Old May 5th 2005, 12:34 pm
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Manc
I'll be watching C-Span when I get home from work.
C-SPAN Simulcast of BBC British Election Coverage On C-SPAN2 at 5pm ET.

Paxman Ahoy and swingometers all round.
Old May 5th 2005, 12:40 pm
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

Murdoch is an unprincipled bandit who knows when to back the winning side. If he thought the Tories were likely to win it would be "come on you blues" on the front of the Sun and Michael Howard in a Chelsea shirt.
Old May 5th 2005, 12:42 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Just rang my Mum back in the UK. She was just on her way to the Polling Station. No, I don't know whom she's voting for.

If my brother is voting, I'm sure he'll be voting for the candidate with the silliest name (at least he's got a "strategy").

NC Penguin
Old May 5th 2005, 1:23 pm
Blindside Fumbler

Tone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of light

Whereas The Times, also owned by the Dirty Digger, yesterday said Vote Conservative. Guess he's just covering himself either way

Best Headline

Last edited by Tone; May 5th 2005 at 1:27 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.