Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Elderly People

Elderly People

Old Aug 21st 2008, 1:44 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Elderly People

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/global/ma...C-tra_21082008
If this is the worst problem seniors have in the UK, then the UK might be the place to retire to.
Old Aug 21st 2008, 2:29 pm
Dizzy Blonde

clarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Elderly People

My USC hubby loved that sign when he was in england - so much that he wanted to steal one to bring back to the states with him and hang in the garage!

.... yeah, he's a strange one
Old Aug 21st 2008, 2:59 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

So... without the cane and the hunch, how would people seeing the sign as they drive by be able to immediately identify the figures on teh sign as elderly? That's kind of the point of the image in the first place isn't it? I guess you could just have a sign that says "Elderly" with no picture.
Old Aug 21st 2008, 3:09 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by another bloody yank
So... without the cane and the hunch, how would people seeing the sign as they drive by be able to immediately identify the figures on teh sign as elderly? That's kind of the point of the image in the first place isn't it? I guess you could just have a sign that says "Elderly" with no picture.
He could be holding up his bus pass, with a big grin on his face...
Or standing at the Post Office counter, picking up his OAP...
Old Aug 21st 2008, 3:12 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

I want clarification. At what age is one considered elderly? Or is elderly a contingent on "looks".

In 1981 I would have considered someone hunched over and with a cane elderly as well. Today ... NO WAY
Old Aug 21st 2008, 3:22 pm
Banned

Kali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond reputeKali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond reputeKali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond reputeKali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond reputeKali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond reputeKali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond reputeKali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond reputeKali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond reputeKali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond reputeKali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond reputeKali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
I want clarification. At what age is one considered elderly? Or is elderly a contingent on "looks".

In 1981 I would have considered someone hunched over and with a cane elderly as well. Today ... NO WAY
Easy solution. With the demographic trend in the UK, isn't most of the population relatively elderly? If that's correct, DOT just need a sign for the minority of yoof ?

Last edited by Kali-forniarrr; Aug 21st 2008 at 3:25 pm.
Old Aug 21st 2008, 3:38 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete

I want to know if the problem with the elderly in the UK is similar to the deer problem here. Do most elderly/vehicle accidents happen in the early morning or around dusk? Could the issue of the elderly in the roadways be solved with high fences? Maybe high pitched whistles installed on the bumper?
Old Aug 21st 2008, 3:43 pm
Heading for Poppyland

I want to know if the problem with the elderly in the UK is similar to the deer problem here. Do most elderly/vehicle accidents happen in the early morning or around dusk? Could the issue of the elderly in the roadways be solved with high fences? Maybe high pitched whistles installed on the bumper?
Yeah - I'll need to remember to take a set of those whistles next time I go, for the hire care. Need to keep those wrinklies off the M25. Fast lanes, anyway.
Old Aug 21st 2008, 5:12 pm
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

just kicking around some ideas for an alternative......
Attached Thumbnails Elderly People-cdsign.jpg