Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Elderly Parent

Elderly Parent

Old Feb 11th 2014, 2:40 pm
Forum Regular

Floridared has much to be proud ofFloridared has much to be proud ofFloridared has much to be proud ofFloridared has much to be proud ofFloridared has much to be proud ofFloridared has much to be proud ofFloridared has much to be proud ofFloridared has much to be proud ofFloridared has much to be proud ofFloridared has much to be proud ofFloridared has much to be proud of
Default Elderly Parent

Is it difficult to bring an elderly parent to the USA, I am a USC and my mother could be on her own very soon, she is nearly blind and would find it very difficult to go about her daily life. I'm sure I could start the process of bringing her here, but what about things like medicare? I'm fishing, it's not bad at this moment, but there's a time in the near future that I would have to think about this.

Last edited by Floridared; Feb 11th 2014 at 2:58 pm.
Old Feb 11th 2014, 3:06 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Elderly Parent

Legally, visa-wise, it is easy, but I don't believe she would ever be Medicare eligible, so the medical cost/ insurance could create an insurmountable problem.
Old Feb 11th 2014, 4:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

As I understand it she MAY (this is how the Medicare site terms it) be eligible for Medicare having been a permanent resident for 5 years.

Even if she is able to enroll, because she has not paid into Medicare and obtained the relevant 40 quarters, she would have to pay for part A (which the majority of US residents/citizens do not) which, currently, is $405.00 per month. On top of that she would have to pay for Part C and D.

It could be very expensive.

Alternatively, she MAY be able to get a policy under the Affordable Care Act. You should get quotes from either Healthcare.gov or your state Exchange site.
Old Feb 11th 2014, 5:20 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl

Even if she is able to enroll, because she has not paid into Medicare and obtained the relevant 40 quarters, she would have to pay for part A (which the majority of US residents/citizens do not) which, currently, is $405.00 per month. On top of that she would have to pay for Part C and D.
...and Part B which is $104.50 a month.
Old Feb 11th 2014, 6:13 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Just another thought after the practicalities...but how would she get around here either? Less public transport.

Also, what about the social life? She got friends, or social groups she'll be losing out on if she moved away? Might be hard for someone starting from scratch.
Old Feb 11th 2014, 7:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

jmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl

Is this for after she has spent 5 years here as a PR?
Old Feb 11th 2014, 10:32 pm
Forum Regular

Married2abrit has a reputation beyond reputeMarried2abrit has a reputation beyond reputeMarried2abrit has a reputation beyond reputeMarried2abrit has a reputation beyond reputeMarried2abrit has a reputation beyond reputeMarried2abrit has a reputation beyond reputeMarried2abrit has a reputation beyond reputeMarried2abrit has a reputation beyond reputeMarried2abrit has a reputation beyond reputeMarried2abrit has a reputation beyond reputeMarried2abrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jmood
Is this for after she has spent 5 years here as a PR?
Yes.
Old Feb 11th 2014, 11:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

kins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond repute

Under the ACA she can get health insurance and it can be up to three times as expensive as insurance for someone much younger, I believe.

One of my colleagues brought his father over recently. They've not had problems finding health insurance, and they're now looking for sheltered accommodation for him.
Old Feb 12th 2014, 1:41 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

How old of a parent?

Reason I ask is that people have reported, anecdotally, that the older the harder time you'll have finding insurance. After 65 and you might have a few options. After 75 and it's very tough to get options. Pushing 80 and much much harder.

Not sure how the ACA has altered this process. Hope it is easier but still, you should probably start searching around for options.

I should also note some health insurance plans (i.e. yours) will have the option of adding a "dependent parent". Might be worth checking with your HR staff to see if that is available.
Old Feb 12th 2014, 2:07 am
BE Forum Addict

jmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kins

One of my colleagues brought his father over recently. They've not had problems finding health insurance, and they're now looking for sheltered accommodation for him.
Not had problems as in they have a lot of money and don't mind paying $1000 a month for it? That was the average when I was checking for my dad a few years ago. He was 76 then.
Old Feb 12th 2014, 12:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

kins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond repute

Not had problems as in they have a lot of money and don't mind paying $1000 a month for it? That was the average when I was checking for my dad a few years ago. He was 76 then.
The ACA has reduced the amount insurance companies can overcharge people for being older - the ratio is now 3:1 where a few years ago it could be much higher depending on what state you were in.
Old Feb 12th 2014, 12:38 pm
Forum Regular

Floridared has much to be proud ofFloridared has much to be proud ofFloridared has much to be proud ofFloridared has much to be proud ofFloridared has much to be proud ofFloridared has much to be proud ofFloridared has much to be proud ofFloridared has much to be proud ofFloridared has much to be proud ofFloridared has much to be proud ofFloridared has much to be proud of

Thanks for all your help, she is 80 this year, and is basically blind, if she comes over, there's no way she'll be staying in sheltered accommodation, she'll be living with us no matter how hard it is. I guess the option is stay with us for free and use her pension and a bit of savings for insurance? I think that'll be the way to go, she has friends, but as you get that old, they are all disappearing, so I don't think that's a problem, it sure is a lot warmer in FL!!
Old Feb 12th 2014, 1:44 pm
Forum Regular

cynthia786 has a reputation beyond reputecynthia786 has a reputation beyond reputecynthia786 has a reputation beyond reputecynthia786 has a reputation beyond reputecynthia786 has a reputation beyond reputecynthia786 has a reputation beyond reputecynthia786 has a reputation beyond reputecynthia786 has a reputation beyond reputecynthia786 has a reputation beyond reputecynthia786 has a reputation beyond reputecynthia786 has a reputation beyond repute

My mum turned 70 in January and we are at the interview stage of her immigrant visa. I've checked into insurance for her with the Washington Health Exchange and we can get an HMO plan for $632.00 a month. As she will be a new immigrant, she will not be eligible for the $512.00 tax credit. The plan is not too bad, it has a $1750.00 deductible, out of pocket maximum $5000.00. Doctor visits will be $25.00. She is extremely healthy, no chronic illness and so does not need medication on a regular basis.
The plan is to keep $5000.00 aside to take care of the out of pocket maximum in case it's needed. This is a big move for her, but we don't want her to spend this next bit of her life alone. I cannot move back to where she is and we'll make it work somehow.
Old Feb 12th 2014, 2:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by cynthia786
. As she will be a new immigrant, she will not be eligible for the $512.00 tax credit. .
What'a that?
Old Feb 12th 2014, 2:58 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

What'a that?
Subsidy or a state thing perhaps.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.