Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Elderly Flight Attendants

Elderly Flight Attendants

Old Nov 15th 2010, 6:46 am
Forum Regular

babybyrd is a name known to allbabybyrd is a name known to allbabybyrd is a name known to allbabybyrd is a name known to allbabybyrd is a name known to allbabybyrd is a name known to allbabybyrd is a name known to allbabybyrd is a name known to allbabybyrd is a name known to allbabybyrd is a name known to allbabybyrd is a name known to all
Default Re: Elderly Flight Attendants

poor dropstep

ive flown with a thousand drivers like you and the only time theyre as bitter as this is when the flying whores dont give you a second glance and wont pop round to your room on a lay over or when theyve forgotten to put sugar in your tea which of course youre too important to do yourself

8 years before you got your first flying job? wowser you werent very good at it then were you?

oh and fwiw THESE DAYS ALL commercial aircrafty have emergency lights in the cabin which glow when the planes crashed ditched etc

so

i think you need to go back to your manuals sweetie
Old Nov 15th 2010, 2:35 pm
Ginger Monkey

Gingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by drop step
I'm an expert on this subject and i'm merely adding my two cents to the discussion. I don't care if you think i'm a garbage man, can collector, baggage handler or a homeless man..I'm not trying to impress anybody here
Douche.

Originally Posted by babybyrd
poor dropstep

ive flown with a thousand drivers like you and the only time theyre as bitter as this is when the flying whores dont give you a second glance and wont pop round to your room on a lay over or when theyve forgotten to put sugar in your tea which of course youre too important to do yourself

8 years before you got your first flying job? wowser you werent very good at it then were you?

oh and fwiw THESE DAYS ALL commercial aircrafty have emergency lights in the cabin which glow when the planes crashed ditched etc

so

i think you need to go back to your manuals sweetie
Old Nov 15th 2010, 3:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

AlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Kaffy Mintcake
I don't for one minute believe that you're a commercial pilot with that comment.
Don't be like that. As a brain surgeon, I see that comment as an indication of the onset of dementia.

I must go...patients waiting!
Old Nov 15th 2010, 3:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AlienUk
Don't be like that. As a brain surgeon, I see that comment as an indication of the onset of dementia.

Old Nov 15th 2010, 3:32 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AlienUk

Me too...I have a Space Shuttle to catch.
Old Nov 15th 2010, 3:39 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gingerert
I f.cking HATE American Airlines! Their O'Hare - Manchester flight has only one aisle, which is impossible to navigate with a small child and flight attendants coming up and down with trolleys. I have NEVER been on an AA flight with polite, helpful staff either at check-in or on the plane itself, and I swore last time I flew to the UK that it would be my last with AA. They're just so f.cking miserable and the quality of your flight experience is terrible.

I am seriously considering just spending the dough and going with Premium Economy seats on Virgin this time (next June)... unless Cindy has another suggestion...?
[Aviation Nerd content warning]

I don't know if you got an answer to this or not but depending on where you want to fly to in the UK you have a bunch of other options from O'Hare.

Single aisle on the ORD-MAN?? Granted the last time I flew this route was 2004 but they used the 767, which has 2 aisles (2-3-2 seat config) - you must have been on a 757. I flew one of those on Continental from Belfast to Newark. Single aisle on a 7+ hour flight is no joke. I just held it in and took a 3 hour slash when I got to EWR

Here's what you can do if you want to explore other options. Go to a site such as www.flightaware.com, and put in the route/airline you want to view, and look at the aircraft type they list for that flight (usually it is the same each day). You want a twin aisle or widebody so you should look for 747,767,777, A330,A340 or A380. Rarely you'd see MD-11. Any and all of those will have a twin aisle configuration and should meet your needs.

Of course, an internal connection to JFK opens up a bigger world of possibilities, Virgin being one. They only fly the 747 or A340, two of the biggest planes in commercial aviation, and I think they have orders in for the biggest, the A380.

[/Aviation Nerd content warning]

Oh and ignore drop step, he apparently flew 727s for a minor cargo airline based out of Texas, I'm sure his opinion of modern airline transport is solid gold
Old Nov 15th 2010, 4:13 pm
Just Joined

peachleaf is a name known to allpeachleaf is a name known to allpeachleaf is a name known to allpeachleaf is a name known to allpeachleaf is a name known to allpeachleaf is a name known to allpeachleaf is a name known to allpeachleaf is a name known to allpeachleaf is a name known to allpeachleaf is a name known to allpeachleaf is a name known to all

Well I think old people need to get more respect. Old age comes to us all.It seems like only 2 minutes ago I was saying I would never get older than 25 and now I am 33 years old I guess with all the uncertainty and stress in my life I feel older. So I think good for her to be able to work. In an emergency situation she might be brilliant whereas the 20 year old might be worrying about snagging a nail...
Well I need to get back to some housework. I just left a'hello my name is Peggy 'voice message to somebody. My 3 year old finds that advert hysterical...... WEll I am going off on a tangent now....

But basically older people need more respect!!!!!!!!
Old Nov 15th 2010, 4:17 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by peachleaf
Well I think old people need to get more respect. Old age comes to us all.It seems like only 2 minutes ago I was saying I would never get older than 25 and now I am 33 years old I guess with all the uncertainty and stress in my life I feel older. So I think good for her to be able to work. In an emergency situation she might be brilliant whereas the 20 year old might be worrying about snagging a nail...
Well I need to get back to some housework. I just left a'hello my name is Peggy 'voice message to somebody. My 3 year old finds that advert hysterical...... WEll I am going off on a tangent now....

But basically older people need more respect!!!!!!!!
We all respect Ray...sort of...
Old Nov 15th 2010, 9:13 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

I f.cking HATE American Airlines! Their O'Hare - Manchester flight has only one aisle, which is impossible to navigate with a small child and flight attendants coming up and down with trolleys. I have NEVER been on an AA flight with polite, helpful staff either at check-in or on the plane itself, and I swore last time I flew to the UK that it would be my last with AA. They're just so f.cking miserable and the quality of your flight experience is terrible.

I am seriously considering just spending the dough and going with Premium Economy seats on Virgin this time (next June)... unless Cindy has another suggestion...?
1) Get Chase BA card - 50,000 miles sign-up bonus that equates to a free return upgrade for two from Premium Economy to lie-flat Business goodness (lounge access as well). I find BA's PE fares less than Virgin's - but remember you're getting Business class for this price.
2) Cane said card to get more miles for following year and a 2-4-1 redemption voucher. You will then get to fly Business again in 2012 but for half of what you likely paid in 2011.
3) Repeat step 2 annually.

Chase will likely send you additional offers of double or triple miles etc. over various months that will help keep your balance up.
Old Nov 15th 2010, 9:37 pm
Ginger Monkey

Gingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tonrob
1) Get Chase BA card - 50,000 miles sign-up bonus that equates to a free return upgrade for two from Premium Economy to lie-flat Business goodness (lounge access as well). I find BA's PE fares less than Virgin's - but remember you're getting Business class for this price.
2) Cane said card to get more miles for following year and a 2-4-1 redemption voucher. You will then get to fly Business again in 2012 but for half of what you likely paid in 2011.
3) Repeat step 2 annually.

Chase will likely send you additional offers of double or triple miles etc. over various months that will help keep your balance up.
But the ONLY Chicago-Manchester flight is operated by AA! It says it's a British Airways/AA combination, but the plane itself and all the staff are sodding AA. I will never, ever fly AA again... even if I could upgrade to Business Class each and every trip. I refuse to give them any more business. Humph.

HOWEVER... flying with BA into Heathrow on a BA-controlled flight does sound rather tempting, particularly with a swanky free upgrade. Perhaps the Chase card is worth investigating...
Old Nov 15th 2010, 9:56 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

But the ONLY Chicago-Manchester flight is operated by AA! It says it's a British Airways/AA combination, but the plane itself and all the staff are sodding AA. I will never, ever fly AA again... even if I could upgrade to Business Class each and every trip. I refuse to give them any more business. Humph.

HOWEVER... flying with BA into Heathrow on a BA-controlled flight does sound rather tempting, particularly with a swanky free upgrade. Perhaps the Chase card is worth investigating...
You should. At this rate I'm never (a) flying economy or (b) paying full price ever again!
Old Nov 15th 2010, 11:42 pm

penguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond repute

We flew Continental just this passed week from Newark to Edinburgh and returned today. There was a flight attendant on todays flight that was probably in her late sixties. My husband was trying to load the hand luggage into the overhead and she got very nasty and told him he needed to put in wheels out to leave some room. There was no excuse for her nastiness or her bright blue eyeshadow and bad dye job!
Old Nov 15th 2010, 11:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by penguinbar
We flew Continental just this passed week from Newark to Edinburgh and returned today. There was a flight attendant on todays flight that was probably in her late sixties. My husband was trying to load the hand luggage into the overhead and she got very nasty and told him he needed to put in wheels out to leave some room. There was no excuse for her nastiness or her bright blue eyeshadow and bad dye job!
I've had snippety flight attendants on Delta as well as very nice ones. I don't think their age factors into this. I am sympathetic when I see how many times they have to ask passengers to comply with simple requests (shutting down cell phones, staying in their seat while the plane is taxiing, etc.)
Old Nov 15th 2010, 11:48 pm

penguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond repute

I think the worst is Allitalia. I have flown them several times to Italy from the US as well as several internal flights in Italy. They were the most reasonable at the time. I have never had a good experience with them and will never fly them again.
Old Nov 16th 2010, 3:18 pm
Septic Sprout

Originally Posted by penguinbar
We had a pair of old buggers on Ushited from ORD-BDL last Thursday. They were as good as gold and maybe the best FAs I'd seen on a US domestic flight - it was like having your favourite grandparents looking after everyone on the plane. I was both surprised and impressed.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.