Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Elderly Flight Attendants

Elderly Flight Attendants

Old Nov 13th 2010, 1:00 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Elderly Flight Attendants

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma

I need to explain to ChocolateBabz that Saturday night babysitting is just not possible. Too much going on for that...
Easy for you to say, you don't have to find a babysitter
Old Nov 13th 2010, 1:14 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
Easy for you to say, you don't have to find a babysitter

Old Nov 14th 2010, 8:04 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishmum
The stewardess told my mum that she's 73 years old! My mum was thinking - blimey, if there's an emergency she wouldn't be of much help, it would be the passengers having to assist her!
And from out here in the diametrically-opposed Middle East, flying Emirates and Etihad (the 2 UAE carriers) is a treat on the eyes, coz last time I checked there weren't any age discrimination laws (or pretty much ANY employment laws), so not surprisingly all the stewardesses are young (but not all pretty, alas--I think they need to tighten up their selection processes).
Old Nov 14th 2010, 11:08 am
Forum Regular

babybyrd is a name known to allbabybyrd is a name known to allbabybyrd is a name known to allbabybyrd is a name known to allbabybyrd is a name known to allbabybyrd is a name known to allbabybyrd is a name known to allbabybyrd is a name known to allbabybyrd is a name known to allbabybyrd is a name known to allbabybyrd is a name known to all

without sounding too serious

i am 48
i am a flight attendant on long haul and i have been for over 23 years
do i look as good as a 22 year old blonde? no i probably dont

but, without generalising, my life experience means that i can probably empathise with you more than the 22 year old can if youre travelling home for a parents funeral or to be at their sickbed, i can relate to a wider variety of people and as i have been doing the job this long you can know for sure that i am doing the job because i love it NOT just cause its a good way to see the world (cause take it from me i have now seen it 10 times over!)and go to good places for parties and shopping-

(can i look after you if youre sick or have a heart attack or a panic attack? can i get you out of your seat if youre unconcious, assess your condition and administer a defibrillator, do cpr, administer morphine based drugs on you? yes i can
can i throw you out of a toilet if youve set it on fire having a sneaky fag and squirt a fire extinguisher? yes
can i physically handcuff restrain you and tie you into your seat of your deserving of it? again - yes)

of course these things dont happen every day but to keep the job and your license to fly you get tested every year

you have to show you can drag a life size and realistically weighted dummy from a chamber ( airplane mock up) thats pitch black and filled with smoke while wearing a smoke hood

we have to be able to extinguish fires

straddle a dummy and do cpr

those are probably the most physical parts of our annual exams
but theres also a LOT of mental/memory tests about all teh proceedures and equipment we have on board ( 90% of which most of you will never even be aware of) and all of this on up to 3 different aircraft types

so if a woman of 73 CAN cope with all this AND cope with mega time changes and very long hours on her feet and with no sleep, then seriously she deserves some respect and admiration

sermon over ( forgive me - ive flown 16 hours out of the last 36 - my varicose veins are playing up and my wig has squeesed so tight ive got a headache - not to mention that my incontinence pad needs changing )
Old Nov 14th 2010, 11:59 am
lush

Juswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by babybyrd

sermon over ( forgive me - ive flown 16 hours out of the last 36 - my varicose veins are playing up and my wig has squeesed so tight ive got a headache - not to mention that my incontinence pad needs changing )

Old Nov 14th 2010, 1:55 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

i am 48

but, without generalising, my life experience means that i can probably empathise with you more than the 22 year old can if youre travelling home for a parents funeral or to be at their sickbed, i can relate to a wider variety of people and as i have been doing the job this long you can know for sure that i am doing the job because i love it NOT just cause its a good way to see the world (cause take it from me i have now seen it 10 times over!)and go to good places for parties and shopping-

(can i look after you if youre sick or have a heart attack or a panic attack? can i get you out of your seat if youre unconcious, assess your condition and administer a defibrillator, do cpr, administer morphine based drugs on you? yes i can
can i throw you out of a toilet if youve set it on fire having a sneaky fag and squirt a fire extinguisher? yes
can i physically handcuff restrain you and tie you into your seat of your deserving of it? again - yes)

of course these things dont happen every day but to keep the job and your license to fly you get tested every year

you have to show you can drag a life size and realistically weighted dummy from a chamber ( airplane mock up) thats pitch black and filled with smoke while wearing a smoke hood

but theres also a LOT of mental/memory tests about all teh proceedures and equipment we have on board ( 90% of which most of you will never even be aware of) and all of this on up to 3 different aircraft types

so if a woman of 73 CAN cope with all this AND cope with mega time changes and very long hours on her feet and with no sleep, then seriously she deserves some respect and admiration

With all due respect 48 is along way from 73yrs but I see your point.
I was a flight attendent for a short while and admire anyone with the stamina and personality to do this job the training as you say is very intense indeed and not for the faint hearted or lesser intelligent mortals.......I remeber only too well thinking OMG!! this is way harder then I signed up for, folk don't realize its not just serving the food and smiling sweetly, it a bloody tough job I admire you, personally I hated it and bailed after a few months so fair play to you
Old Nov 14th 2010, 2:10 pm
Forum Regular

babybyrd is a name known to allbabybyrd is a name known to allbabybyrd is a name known to allbabybyrd is a name known to allbabybyrd is a name known to allbabybyrd is a name known to allbabybyrd is a name known to allbabybyrd is a name known to allbabybyrd is a name known to allbabybyrd is a name known to allbabybyrd is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Poppy girl
With all due respect 48 is along way from 73yrs but I see your point.

oh i know
i was being a bit flippant and fernickity
but just wanted to make the point that not everything is better younger : )

sipping a nice AGED wine as i type - cheers
Old Nov 14th 2010, 2:43 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

oh i know
i was being a bit flippant and fernickity
but just wanted to make the point that not everything is better younger : )

sipping a nice AGED wine as i type - cheers
I am only 2 years behind you so I 2nd that
Old Nov 14th 2010, 2:47 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Poppy girl
I am only 2 years behind you so I 2nd that
You're just a baby then
Old Nov 14th 2010, 2:49 pm

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma
You're just a baby then
Whats the old saying your as young as you feel so that makes me 73 some days lol.
Old Nov 14th 2010, 3:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

i am 48

Respect!
Old Nov 14th 2010, 4:08 pm
Forum Regular

rivit is just really nicerivit is just really nicerivit is just really nicerivit is just really nicerivit is just really nicerivit is just really nicerivit is just really nicerivit is just really nice

i am 48

Never mind all that, how do you look in a mini-skirt
Old Nov 14th 2010, 4:11 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by rivit
Never mind all that, how do you look in a mini-skirt
like two raw pork sausages wrapped in a paper napkin/serviette
Old Nov 14th 2010, 4:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

cityhog will become famous soon enoughcityhog will become famous soon enough

Yes, experience counts, and they can do extraordinary things when the occasion arises, such as sacrificing their lives to save others. I heard about this old fella who saved several students' lives by taking a bullet for them in the deadliest US school shooting. A courageous act indeed.
Old Nov 14th 2010, 5:46 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishmum
I've just had a phone call from my mum who's just arrived back home in England after visiting me here in New Jersey. Last night she flew on a direct flight from Newark to Birmingham, UK.

My mum says she couldn't believe it when she saw a very old, scruffy looking Continental Airlines flight attendant bringing the food cart down the aisle and said that she looked much older than her - she is 71. Now my mum will chat to anybody and she said to the stewardess "This job looks too much for you, shouldn't you be retired by now? How old are you?" (My mum has got a bloody cheek!)

The stewardess told my mum that she's 73 years old! My mum was thinking - blimey, if there's an emergency she wouldn't be of much help, it would be the passengers having to assist her!

My mum also says that all the cabin crews on Continental are miserable and not friendly and chatty like the BA and Virgin crews....

One thing I did notice; it is pretty much all self-check in at Continental Airlines at Newark (even though I'd already checked her in online). They just basically have a bag-drop for all their flights, including international. There wasn't even a prompt on the touch-screen to ask whether or not one had packed check-in baggage by oneself and neither did the agent who came along to attach the label to the suitcase.
That's not at all unusual for Continental's cabin crew. I've seen cabin crew both men and women who have been in their 70's on the Man/New/Man flight.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Nov 14th 2010 at 6:03 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.