Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Elderly Flight Attendants

Elderly Flight Attendants

Old Nov 14th 2010, 11:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Elderly Flight Attendants

Originally Posted by babybyrd
oh i know
i was being a bit flippant and fernickity
but just wanted to make the point that not everything is better younger : )

sipping a nice AGED wine as i type - cheers
Hear, hear! YOU GO GIRL!!! I like your style.
Old Nov 15th 2010, 12:24 am
Banned

drop step is a jewel in the roughdrop step is a jewel in the roughdrop step is a jewel in the roughdrop step is a jewel in the roughdrop step is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by babybyrd
without sounding too serious

i am 48
i am a flight attendant on long haul and i have been for over 23 years
do i look as good as a 22 year old blonde? no i probably dont

but, without generalising, my life experience means that i can probably empathise with you more than the 22 year old can if youre travelling home for a parents funeral or to be at their sickbed, i can relate to a wider variety of people and as i have been doing the job this long you can know for sure that i am doing the job because i love it NOT just cause its a good way to see the world (cause take it from me i have now seen it 10 times over!)and go to good places for parties and shopping-

(can i look after you if youre sick or have a heart attack or a panic attack? can i get you out of your seat if youre unconcious, assess your condition and administer a defibrillator, do cpr, administer morphine based drugs on you? yes i can
can i throw you out of a toilet if youve set it on fire having a sneaky fag and squirt a fire extinguisher? yes
can i physically handcuff restrain you and tie you into your seat of your deserving of it? again - yes)

of course these things dont happen every day but to keep the job and your license to fly you get tested every year

you have to show you can drag a life size and realistically weighted dummy from a chamber ( airplane mock up) thats pitch black and filled with smoke while wearing a smoke hood

we have to be able to extinguish fires

straddle a dummy and do cpr

those are probably the most physical parts of our annual exams
but theres also a LOT of mental/memory tests about all teh proceedures and equipment we have on board ( 90% of which most of you will never even be aware of) and all of this on up to 3 different aircraft types

so if a woman of 73 CAN cope with all this AND cope with mega time changes and very long hours on her feet and with no sleep, then seriously she deserves some respect and admiration

sermon over ( forgive me - ive flown 16 hours out of the last 36 - my varicose veins are playing up and my wig has squeesed so tight ive got a headache - not to mention that my incontinence pad needs changing )
I'm a commercial pilot, I trained for 8 years before getting my first job and I always laugh when flight attendants act like they are an integral part of the crew... When the plane goes down and the only lights in the cabin are the ones coming from a fuel fire nobodies going to listen to that 20 year old bubble head with 4 weeks of training. No, they'll be climbing the walls, climbing over the seats, and climbing over fellow passengers to get to the fresh air.

Flying waitress
Old Nov 15th 2010, 12:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by drop step
I'm a commercial pilot, I trained for 8 years before getting my first job and I always laugh when flight attendants act like they are an integral part of the crew... When the plane goes down and the only lights in the cabin are the ones coming from a fuel fire nobodies going to listen to that 20 year old bubble head with 4 weeks of training. No, they'll be climbing the walls, climbing over the seats, and climbing over there fellow passengers to get to the fresh air.

Flying waitress
I don't for one minute believe that you're a commercial pilot with that comment.
Old Nov 15th 2010, 12:32 am
Banned

drop step is a jewel in the roughdrop step is a jewel in the roughdrop step is a jewel in the roughdrop step is a jewel in the roughdrop step is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by gingerert
I f.cking HATE American Airlines! Their O'Hare - Manchester flight has only one aisle, which is impossible to navigate with a small child and flight attendants coming up and down with trolleys. I have NEVER been on an AA flight with polite, helpful staff either at check-in or on the plane itself, and I swore last time I flew to the UK that it would be my last with AA. They're just so f.cking miserable and the quality of your flight experience is terrible.

I am seriously considering just spending the dough and going with Premium Economy seats on Virgin this time (next June)... unless Cindy has another suggestion...?
U.S. airline employees have really been taking it in the shorts for the last decade and quite frankly they just don't give a sh#t, and why should they? Most of them have lost their pensions (thats why you see a 73 year old F/A), 1/3 of their pay and most of their benefits. In 1968 it cost thousands to fly from America to Europe, now 50 years later it cost a fraction of that, so I have to say. You get what you pay for, a cattle car
Old Nov 15th 2010, 12:32 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I'm a commercial pilot, I trained for 8 years before getting my first job and I always laugh when flight attendants act like they are an integral part of the crew... When the plane goes down and the only lights in the cabin are the ones coming from a fuel fire nobodies going to listen to that 20 year old bubble head with 4 weeks of training. No, they'll be climbing the walls, climbing over the seats, and climbing over fellow passengers to get to the fresh air.

Flying waitress
Nice try...I'd stick to golf if I were you.
Old Nov 15th 2010, 12:34 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Kaffy Mintcake
I don't for one minute believe that you're a commercial pilot with that comment.
I love flight attendants, I have for years, but some of them tend to get a little carried away with themselves at times. Just my opinion
Old Nov 15th 2010, 12:38 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Nice try...I'd stick to golf if I were you.
I'm not going to argue with you...I'm just telling you that I have every pilots license and rating known to man..Private, Commercial, CFI, CFII, Multi engine, ATP and instrument ratings...
Old Nov 15th 2010, 12:45 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not going to argue with you...I'm just telling you that I have every pilots license and rating known to man..Private, Commercial, CFI, CFII, Multi engine, ATP and instrument ratings...
Course you do.
Old Nov 15th 2010, 12:55 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Course you do.

He's 'aving a laugh mate
Old Nov 15th 2010, 1:32 am
Banned

I'm an expert on this subject and i'm merely adding my two cents to the discussion. I don't care if you think i'm a garbage man, can collector, baggage handler or a homeless man..I'm not trying to impress anybody here
Old Nov 15th 2010, 1:36 am
SUPER MODERATOR

I'm an expert on this subject and i'm merely adding my two cents to the discussion. I don't care if you think i'm a garbage man, can collector, baggage handler or a homeless man..I'm not trying to impress anybody here
Course you're not.
Old Nov 15th 2010, 2:41 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Course you're not.
Old Nov 15th 2010, 3:25 am
Forum Regular

MadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond repute

Flying waitress

If the flight attendant is a flying waitress, I guess that makes you a flying bus driver.
Old Nov 15th 2010, 3:26 am
Banned

Originally Posted by MadRad
If the flight attendant is a flying waitress, I guess that makes you a flying bus driver.
Glorified bus driver..That what we say
Old Nov 15th 2010, 3:32 am
Banned

Originally Posted by MadRad
I gotta tell you another thing...Stewardess hired in the 50's, 60's and 70's were..... how do I put this politely.....They were of questionable social standing.

I remember the story about United Air Lines wanting to set up a hub in Cheyenne Wyoming and the mayor of Cheyenne wouldn't have it because he did'nt want to have a "1000 whores" domiciled in his town, so UAL went to Denver. My dad used to call them "sky whores"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.