British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Egypt Police Certificate (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/egypt-police-certificate-111762/)

jms Sep 24th 2002 7:31 pm

Egypt Police Certificate

Hi, Can anyone tell me how long it takes to get a police certificate in Egypt and how much it might cost in US dollars?

ms_bhon Sep 24th 2002 9:05 pm

Re: Egypt Police Certificate

Originally posted by jms:
Hi, Can anyone tell me how long it takes to get a police certificate in Egypt and how much it might cost in US dollars?

My husband had to get one when we were applying for the K-1 visa. He applied from the UK, and it then had to be sent via diplomatic pouch to the Egyptian embassy in London. He then had to have it translated.

All in all, I think it took about 3 months or so... we ended up having to push our tentative wedding date back a couple of weeks.
Can't remember how much it costs, just ring the embassy and they'll tell you- maybe 40 or 50 bucks.
The translator was also about 50 bucks, but was a really nice guy and offered my then fiance, now husband in for a cup of tea when he went to pick up the translated document.

jms Sep 24th 2002 9:57 pm

Originally posted by ms_bhon:

My husband had to get one when we were applying for the K-1 visa. He applied from the UK, and it then had to be sent via diplomatic pouch to the Egyptian embassy in London. He then had to have it translated.

All in all, I think it took about 3 months or so... we ended up having to push our tentative wedding date back a couple of weeks.
Can't remember how much it costs, just ring the embassy and they'll tell you- maybe 40 or 50 bucks.
The translator was also about 50 bucks, but was a really nice guy and offered my then fiance, now husband in for a cup of tea when he went to pick up the translated document.

jms Sep 24th 2002 10:01 pm

[SIZE=1]Originally posted by jms:
[/

Thanks for the info. My fiance has given up on the Egypt embassy in his country and is going to Egypt to obtain the certificate. Does anyone know how long it then may take? Also, I had not given any thought to the translation. Where might that be done? JSM

SIZE]

Folinskyinla Sep 25th 2002 1:25 am

Originally posted by jms:

Hi:

I'm an immigration lawyer in Los Angeles. Seek and you shall find: go to http://travel.state.gov and drill down through the "visa reciprocity tables".

I can't speak from experience -- but if the person is in Egypt -- it appears to be a quite prompt process. If the person is outside of Egypt -- then the requrest has to be processed through an Egyptian diplomatic post -- which apprears to entail long delay.

The comment by the other poster about translation -- as a general rule, documents need NOT be translated if they are in the official language of the country where the post issuing the visa is located. So, you would not need a translation for an arabic speaking country if that's where you are applying.

For some reason, this rule does NOT apply to birth certificates. I've never figured out why, just go with the flow on that one.

jms Sep 25th 2002 1:34 am

Originally posted by Folinskyinla:
He is not applying in an arabic speaking country so how would he go about getting it translated? JMS

Hi:

I'm an immigration lawyer in Los Angeles. Seek and you shall find: go to http://travel.state.gov and drill down through the "visa reciprocity tables".

I can't speak from experience -- but if the person is in Egypt -- it appears to be a quite prompt process. If the person is outside of Egypt -- then the requrest has to be processed through an Egyptian diplomatic post -- which apprears to entail long delay.

The comment by the other poster about translation -- as a general rule, documents need NOT be translated if they are in the official language of the country where the post issuing the visa is located. So, you would not need a translation for an arabic speaking country if that's where you are applying.

For some reason, this rule does NOT apply to birth certificates. I've never figured out why, just go with the flow on that one.

ms_bhon Sep 25th 2002 4:19 pm

Originally posted by Folinskyinla:

Hi:

Yes, it did seem to us that if he had actually *gone* to Egypt to get the certificate, he could have gotten it pretty quick... it did seem that to get it back to the UK via diplomatic pouch is what took most of the time...
As far as translation, if its a US visa you seek, and you're applying from an English soeaking country, like my husband did, in the UK, he was required to get the document translated from the Arabic. You can find translators in any large to medium sized city in the yellow pages under "Translation services" or a similar heading.

niledoc Oct 16th 2002 2:14 pm

If you are in Egypt, getting the police certificate is quite easy and cheap (less than one dollar). You simply go to the police station in Doqqi and I think you can pick it up later that day or the next day. It is only good for four months. Everything is computerized.