Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Eeeeek - A mouse!

Eeeeek - A mouse!

Old Dec 8th 2006, 1:03 pm
Blondie22

blaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Eeeeek - A mouse!

Originally Posted by Bob
yeah, but not poisonous...nor nearly as bad as when a rat bites

Very true, but I would rather not be bitten by any of them! (of course if it's venomous then it definitely goes to the top of the "do not bite me please" list!)
Old Dec 8th 2006, 1:50 pm
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TruBrit

anyway the mice here are huge, they are the size of rats and the rats are as big as cats :scared:
OK a 8-10 inch mouse would freak me out.
Old Dec 8th 2006, 2:07 pm
Re vera, potas bene.

krizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishmum
OMG - I went into the kitchen at 6.45am this morning and went to put the kettle on. Out of the corner of my eye I saw something move.....and nearly had a heart attack when I saw that it was a dark grey mouse... :scared:

Unfortunately I don't have a cat as I'm allergic to them, but I did think of Tom & Jerry cartoons where the mama of the house spots Jerry, jumps onto a chair and screams THOMAAAASSS!

Being the wimpy coward that I am, I screamed and the mouse seemed to jump and ran behind the oven. I ran straight up the stairs and my heart was pounding very fast indeed. My husband had left the house at 5.30am to go to an early meeting in NYC, so I called him and he burst out laughing - saying they're "only little and it's cold outside for them" and said to call pest control. At that time of the morning all the pest control services listed in the Yellow Pages just had answerphones on. My son just laughed at me and he went off to school (without any breakfast...).

I then legged it up to the gym where I go to aqua-aerobics, had tea and a cake from the vending machine and made some calls at 9am. The earliest anyone could come was between 2pm and 5pm so after my class I went out shopping and got home at about 1.59pm and stayed upstairs, wrapping Xmas gifts...didn't want to be downstairs LOL! The pest control guy turned up at about 5.50pm (grrrr) and found mice droppings behind the oven and near the wet bar in the basement.

He says that as soon as the weather gets cold, the mice first look for somewhere warm to go, then they look for food, but warmth is their no.1 priority. Favourite spots are the warm places behind the oven, behind the fridge and next to the dishwasher.....mice love the lining at the side of them. They can get through a hole the size of the diameter of a pinky finger (ugh) and possibly it/they came in the house where the tumble dryer outlet flue pipe goes.

The pest guy was going home for the day, so has put some mousetraps with peanut butter down. He checked the pantry which was fine - but we did eat out tonight. I'm still freaking out....I've just sent my husband to the Home Depot to get sealant and extra mousetraps (ugh, ugh, ugh) and nagged him into working from home tomorrow and the pest guy will come back with bait in boxes. In the meantime I'm staying upstairs as much as possible and avoiding the kitchen and basement for the next day or two.

I don't know why I'm scared of them...but it creeped me out. Oddly enough I used to love having geckos running up and down the walls when we lived in Singapore, but mice and spiders give me the willies.
We've had mice once...they die quick in the basement...no way to get water...we got some bait from the hardware shop and they were gone within a few days....
The raccoons were harder to remove....but once the babies were big enough I got them out the chimney with coyote pee....they ran like the devil was on their tails....
Old Dec 8th 2006, 2:16 pm

syllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by krizzy
The raccoons were harder to remove....but once the babies were big enough I got them out the chimney with coyote pee....they ran like the devil was on their tails....
Dare I ask how you managed to acquire said coyote pee in the first place?
Old Dec 8th 2006, 2:44 pm
Re vera, potas bene.

krizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by syllk
You buy it in a bottle at the hardware store...they sell it to keep the wildlife out your garden....it was that or stopping the coyote on his morning walk and asking him for a simple....
Old Dec 8th 2006, 6:39 pm

Neathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of light

Can't say that mice bother me; as others have said, there are worse things, like the scorpions in Texas. Recently, we had a mouse that got up through the crawl space and into the wall between our bathroom and bedroom. Hubby got a trap and the next day the mouse was caught and so far, we haven't had any more problems. I'm sure it will happen again though; last week, I was in the attic and found a few mouse skeletons. We just got a cat a few months ago, so maybe she'll help if any more mice get in the house .
Old Dec 8th 2006, 6:42 pm
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

Originally Posted by syllk
My guess would be from a Coyote.
Old Dec 8th 2006, 6:44 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rushman
My guess would be from a Coyote.

Really...how did you come to that conclusion?
Old Dec 8th 2006, 6:49 pm
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Really...how did you come to that conclusion?
A few years intensive study.
Old Dec 8th 2006, 8:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Toontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond repute

anyway the mice here are huge, they are the size of rats and the rats are as big as cats :scared:
And how big are the cats then in Texas?

Have a good evening.
Old Dec 8th 2006, 8:22 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Toontje
And how big are the cats then in Texas?

Have a good evening.
you should know that living in texas..... everything's bigger
Old Dec 8th 2006, 8:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Toontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond repute

you should know that living in texas..... everything's bigger
So I've noticed. Especially when I look down.

Have a good evening.
Old Dec 8th 2006, 8:25 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Toontje
So I've noticed. Especially when I look down.

Have a good evening.

exactly, one reason i married a texan
Old Dec 8th 2006, 8:42 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Anything that shits right there while it's eating must die!!

Mice must die.
Rats must die.

Old Dec 8th 2006, 9:15 pm
Another gloomy day!

hayley82 is a glorious beacon of lighthayley82 is a glorious beacon of lighthayley82 is a glorious beacon of lighthayley82 is a glorious beacon of lighthayley82 is a glorious beacon of lighthayley82 is a glorious beacon of lighthayley82 is a glorious beacon of lighthayley82 is a glorious beacon of lighthayley82 is a glorious beacon of lighthayley82 is a glorious beacon of lighthayley82 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Englishmum
That's an excellent idea!

Are you around in the Christmas period or are you going home to England? I need to catch up on all your news & wedding plans!

Possibly going for Sunday brunch in Hoboken or NYC a week on Sunday - fancy meeting up?
We fly out on the 23rd for Christmas. I'm actually going home for a while, haven't booked my return flight yet!

Let me know about brunch, sounds good!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.