British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Educational advice- IGCSEs and US High school (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/educational-advice-igcses-us-high-school-909223/)

TheMatrix1101 Feb 14th 2018 6:10 pm

Educational advice- IGCSEs and US High school

Greetings. I'm a 16 year old student from Bangladesh, and I am giving the British IGCSEs this May. However, today I got the news that me and my family got the immigrant visa for US (family category).

So, I was wondering, if I want to go to a good college in the US or any other country, which of the following options should I choose?

* Give my IGCSEs, then go to US and start US High School

*Stay behind and give IGCSEs and then complete A levels, then apply for US College as an international student

* Don't give IGCSEs, and start US High School directly

My exam registration date is approaching, and I need to take a decision soon. Thank you for your time.

petitefrancaise Feb 14th 2018 7:28 pm

Re: Educational advice- IGCSEs and US High school

Right now you should register for your IGCSE exams in Bangladesh in case you are still there in May.
If possible try to take these exams before you leave - it will help with your transition to US high school.

Applying as an international student will be lots more expensive with fewer places available. Unless your parents are able to afford these fees, I would try to avoid this route.

If you want to go to US College/University then take your IGCSEs, move to the USA and go to high school, apply to colleges as a "legal permanent resident" ie Greencard holder and if you want to keep the tuition fees lower, look at the in-state universities of wherever you will be living.

Good Luck!

steveq Feb 14th 2018 11:31 pm

Originally Posted by TheMatrix1101 (Post 12442101)
* Give my IGCSEs, then go to US and start US High School

At this stage, I agree with PF, yes, stay, get your qualifications finished with. It should be possible, if you move to a fairly enlightened state to get your IGCSE recognised and valued PROPERLY.

Which state are you likely to be moving to ?

Congratulations on your move. Its a daunting prospect, but worth it.

TheMatrix1101 Feb 15th 2018 9:40 am

Thank you for your advice. I have decided to register for the exams. Hopefully it will turn out fine. I don't yet know what state we are moving in, but there's a chance that it will be New York or New Jersey. By the way, if I have to leave before the exams, will it affect my qualifications in USA? Also, do UK universities accept American Highschool degree?

robtuck Feb 15th 2018 4:50 pm

Uk Universities do accept USA High School qualifications - they are likely to want to see AP classes though, which is the closest to showing A Level performance.

I agree you should sit the exams then come over - it is much easier with the exams to translate your existing studies to courses you need in the USA system. Moving without them will be a struggle and you may find yourself sitting classes you have essentially already done. Moving post A Level makes it trickier I imagine, to gain entry.

mommapudding Feb 15th 2018 4:53 pm

Yes, UK schools accept US high school GPA results, SAT & ACT scores. Competitive universities like to see subject SATs too, which they can align more easily. Some may wish you to do a foundation year as an international student, so it can take four years just like a US degree.

You will often classify as an international student in the USA college system even if you hold a green card, though not be subject to their international fees.

Either way. It gets complicated, but it’s not insurmountable if you work hard and keep up your grades and extra curriculars.

petitefrancaise Feb 15th 2018 5:02 pm

Moving before taking your exams may well have an important impact on your academic status in the USA.

In the US, you accrue points for each class you complete and you would need to show that you had successfully completed the class. In the US, you would be given marks out of 100 as you go along for tests/homework completion and then a final end of course exam at the semester. Then you would get your points ( or credits) added to your GPA.

If you don't take the IGCSE then you may have trouble getting all the points you need. This would bring down your GPA and consequently may make it more difficult to gain entry to US colleges.

You should also be looking at preparation for the SATs and ACTs, you would be expected to take them in the Autumn semester or perhaps early spring next year to have the results ready to show the US universities. Khan academy has an excellent prep course for the new SAT. I would think about doing this next summer, ready to start US high school.

Definitely try to do your IGCSEs before leaving Bangladesh.

BigK Feb 17th 2018 12:27 am

Complete your studies and get your grades. Most importantly, take the SAT or ACT tests because that is what will get you into college.