Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

education system

education system

Old Sep 2nd 2012, 8:44 pm
Just Joined

disneyscott is an unknown quantity at this point
Default education system

My husbands company is relocating him from Spain ( we are english ) to Los Angeles early next year. My daughter , who is 15, is half way through her GCSE exams. Is there any way of her finishing these in America? Also any info on the education system after she has finished her GCSEs would be gratfully received. thanks
Old Sep 2nd 2012, 8:47 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: education system

Originally Posted by disneyscott View Post
My husbands company is relocating him from Spain ( we are english ) to Los Angeles early next year. My daughter , who is 15, is half way through her GCSE exams. Is there any way of her finishing these in America? Also any info on the education system after she has finished her GCSEs would be gratfully received. thanks
Are you planning on staying in the US or leaving after a short contract?
Old Sep 2nd 2012, 8:54 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

There are a few Brit private schools, no idea if they are in LA and they aren't cheap, though usually they'd do the IB course.

GCSE's won't mean anything over here, she'd just be in highschool following the local curriculum.

If she want's to go to uni in the UK or else where in the EU, it would probably be worth staying in the EU, not just because of the schooling but because you need to be EU resident for 3 years prior to enrolling in uni to get local rates rather than international rates.

Anyway, welcome to BE and good luck.
Old Sep 2nd 2012, 10:02 pm
Just Joined

Hi Fatbrit....no we would be staying long term and my daughter wants to hopefully attend University in America.
Old Sep 2nd 2012, 10:08 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by disneyscott View Post
Hi Fatbrit....no we would be staying long term and my daughter wants to hopefully attend University in America.
So GCSEs will be as much use as a chocolate teapot to her.

Just have her follow the US high school graduation system and SAT/ACT. If she doesn't like it, switch her to a community college, though she's maybe a touch young.
Old Sep 2nd 2012, 10:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

The Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit View Post
So GCSEs will be as much use as a chocolate teapot to her.

Just have her follow the US high school graduation system and SAT/ACT. If she doesn't like it, switch her to a community college, though she's maybe a touch young.
Agreed.
I would just investigate the schools in the area near to where you will be living and just have her join the appropriate grade there.
Check on the City-Data forum for more info on the exact area and schools. Make sure her vaccinations meet the requirements for the school district you are moving into, you may want to start looking into that now as some (such as Hep B) are given over several months.
She'll have three or four years before university, I'm sure she'll be fully Americanised by then
Old Sep 2nd 2012, 10:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

jjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond repute

my daughter was 15 when we arrived and in the middle of her standard grades (we lived in Scotland at the time).
Because of the way the system works over here, individual subjects for Maths, (ie trigonometry, algebra) and missing some of the individual State subjects (Texas history) plus no transcripts, they were going to put her back a year. Elisabeth was understandably upset with this idea but in reflection that wouldn't have wouldn't have been a bad idea. Anyway, we managed to persuade the school counsellor to contact her school in Scotland and get the information they needed so she could start in the year she was meant to be (sophomore). She ended graduating early and completed her degree a few years back.

The reason I say about moving back to Freshman status, might not have been a bad idea is because although they gave her the credits for passing her freshman year, they didn't give her any grade points for those subjects which can be important when applying for colleges.

CA will have totally different system from TX so this only general advice which seems to be universal. Good luck with your move.
Old Sep 3rd 2012, 4:30 pm
Forum Regular

Chrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond repute

I'm looking to move to LA soon, and thinking about kids - so this is a topic I'm very interested in. From what the locals tell me, the public school system in LA is notoriously bad. The school your child goes to depends on where you live.
I am told that you either pay more for your house, or stump up for private schooling.

I've been looking at property on Trulia. Each listing includes which schools are nearby along with their ratings. Worth checking out.

HTH!
C
Old Sep 3rd 2012, 5:07 pm
Just Joined

Thanks folks for your info....alot to think about then!!!! Not as simple and dry cut as when we moved to Spain 3 years ago. No doubt many sleepless nights ahead chewing this one over.
Old Sep 3rd 2012, 5:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chrisdc View Post
I'm looking to move to LA soon, and thinking about kids - so this is a topic I'm very interested in. From what the locals tell me, the public school system in LA is notoriously bad. The school your child goes to depends on where you live.
I am told that you either pay more for your house, or stump up for private schooling.

I've been looking at property on Trulia. Each listing includes which schools are nearby along with their ratings. Worth checking out.

HTH!
C
LA schools do have a bad reputation. We are waiting to hear whether Proposition 30 will pass, otherwise funding will be a real problem. We moved out to Calabasas to be in a different school district, this is also badly underfunded though. It also means state university costs are rising steadily year after year.

OP will need to give this aspect a lot of thought.
Old Sep 5th 2012, 3:22 pm
Just Joined

George McHale is an unknown quantity at this point

Must appreciated.