Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Education expenses and donations

Education expenses and donations

Old Mar 20th 2011, 4:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

E3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond repute
Default Education expenses and donations

Hi guys,

I have a couple of quick question regarding tax deductions.

1. Self education expenses. I am currently working in the Finance field and converting my CPA
2. Donations.

Can I ask if either or both of these can be claimed as deduction? I get confused with the term 'itemized' vs. 'standard deduction'.

For the self education expenses, I read up publication 970 but I wanted to understand more.

We will be filing jointly (wife does not work) and we do not own a home yet. All I want to know is either or both of the above are deductible. e.g. say year income 75k and self expenses ~$750 and $200 donations.

Thanks in advance!
Old Mar 20th 2011, 5:03 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Education expenses and donations

Originally Posted by E3only
Hi guys,

1. Self education expenses. I am currently working in the Finance field and converting my CPA
2. Donations.

Can I ask if either or both of these can be claimed as deduction? I get confused with the term 'itemized' vs. 'standard deduction'.

For the self education expenses, I read up publication 970 but I wanted to understand more.

We will be filing jointly (wife does not work) and we do not own a home yet. All I want to know is either or both of the above are deductible. e.g. say year income 75k and self expenses ~$750 and $200 donations.

Thanks in advance!
Room-mate a CPA will get the answer for you as soon as I can get hold of her!!
Old Mar 20th 2011, 5:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

You can file either using the standard deduction ($11,400 for married filing jointly) or itemize deductions. Therefore unless you have more than $11,400 in deductions (state income tax, property taxes, mortgage interest, personal property taxes, donations, and other deductions), it is not worth itemizing deductions.

If you have expenses from a business, those are taken on a different form and are taken immediately.

Look at this form to determine what are deductions.

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f1040sa.pdf
Old Mar 20th 2011, 5:53 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Michael
You can file either using the standard deduction ($11,400 for married filing jointly) or itemize deductions. Therefore unless you have more than $11,400 in deductions (state income tax, property taxes, mortgage interest, personal property taxes, donations, and other deductions), it is not worth itemizing deductions.

If you have expenses from a business, those are taken on a different form and are taken immediately.

Look at this form to determine what are deductions.

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f1040sa.pdf
You beat me to it Thanks thats 3 this past few days
Old Mar 20th 2011, 6:02 pm

Hi guys,

1. Self education expenses. I am currently working in the Finance field and converting my CPA .......
2. Donations.

Thanks in advance!
In order to take advantage of itemized items you have to have over $5,700.
If married $11,400.
Old Mar 20th 2011, 6:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

E3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond repute

Ok so donations and self education expenses fall within the 'itemized deductions'. I will claim 11700 coz my expenses will never reach that limit.

So that means - my education expenses and donations won't get me deductions.
Old Mar 20th 2011, 6:09 pm

Ok so donations and self education expenses fall within the 'itemized deductions'. I will claim 11700 coz my expenses will never reach that limit.

So that means - my education expenses and donations won't get me deductions.
Correct on donations
Education would depend on few things possibley!! but as you are not a full time student unlikely

(LOL Yes being expressed these answers by roomie
Old Mar 20th 2011, 6:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Poppy girl
Correct on donations
Education would depend on few things possibley!! but as you are not a full time student unlikely

(LOL Yes being expressed these answers by roomie
)

No, not a full time student but it's painful to know the expenses are out of pocket
Old Mar 20th 2011, 6:23 pm

)

No, not a full time student but it's painful to know the expenses are out of pocket
But if its personal you can't if its for your job you can.
It goes under un-reimbursed business expenses if for job.
Old Mar 20th 2011, 6:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Explain that to me?

I am converting my CPAs so technically it's for my job. Unfortunately with budget issues, my job won't reimburse it.
Old Mar 20th 2011, 6:32 pm

Explain that to me?

I am converting my CPAs so technically it's for my job. Unfortunately with budget issues, my job won't reimburse it.
In the event of a Adit you would have to be prepared to agrue this if it came to that.......she says she would probably right it off thats her personal opinion what you choose to do is up to you!!

It boils down to if the company are requesting you do this or it is of your own free will and time.

Hope this explains.
Old Mar 20th 2011, 6:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

In the event of a Adit you would have to be prepared to agrue this if it came to that.......she says she would probably right it off thats her personal opinion what you choose to do is up to you!!

It boils down to if the company are requesting you do this or it is of your own free will and time.

Hope this explains.
Ok how about this the job that I applied for read "Bachelors with CPA/MBA preferred"

Either way, I am converting them given I am in accounting/finance. In a way, it gives me an edge over others if you will in terms of marketability ..

I am definitely not doing it coz I have too much time on hand!! I work 14 hours a day 5 days a week + some weekend work!!
Old Mar 20th 2011, 6:44 pm

Ok how about this the job that I applied for read "Bachelors with CPA/MBA preferred"

Either way, I am converting them given I am in accounting/finance. In a way, it gives me an edge over others if you will in terms of marketability ..

I am definitely not doing it coz I have too much time on hand!! I work 14 hours a day 5 days a week + some weekend work!!
Bottom line it won't kick it off the tax return, but they will probably question if you get an audit....makes no odds what the study is for in your case CPA/MBA preferred.
Old Mar 20th 2011, 6:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

But if its personal you can't if its for your job you can.
It goes under un-reimbursed business expenses if for job.
Not quite. There are complex rules determining if educational expenses are deductable. If I remember correctly, if the educational expense is required to keep your current job, it is not deductable but if it is just to enhance you knowledge, it is deductable.

However, the deduction is on Schedule A under unreimbursed business expense and that category has a 2% exclusion of income before the expense will count towards a deduction.

I believe Poppy Girl is self-employed and files Schedule C and on that, she probably deducts just about everything imaginable.
Old Mar 20th 2011, 6:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bottom line it won't kick it off the tax return,

but they will probably question if you get an audit....

makes no odds what the study is for in your case CPA/MBA preferred.
I need english language lessons...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.