Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Education/Employment options for someone without GCSEs?

Education/Employment options for someone without GCSEs?

Old Jan 21st 2017, 1:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

PetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Education/Employment options for someone without GCSEs?

Originally Posted by zanbay View Post
Hello

I just joined the forum and was hoping for some help regarding what options are available in the U.S for someone without any GCSEs?

I'm 16 and still living in the U.K with my dad but my mother moved out to America last may and got re-married, whilst i was unsure about moving out there myself last year i feel like i could be missing out on a better future and the deadline for the 'to follow' visa is nearing.

If your wondering why i have an absence of GCSEs its due to the fact that i was home-schooled for my secondary education and have been unable to sit GCSE assessments. I do however have a level 2 functional skills qualification in both English and Maths that i believe are equivalent to a GCSE C.

So what type of education or employment opportunities would i beable to get if i decided to make the move?

Thanks
At a risk of boring everyone else to tears, I will give some brief advice on my experience. I'm not right, its just an opinion:

I would complete your education to the highest level you can, in the UK before you come over. Take your GCSE's, and unless you want a very menial job here, finish your A-levels/IB and get some sort of college degree. For someone your age, in a competitive sector, that would be the bare minimum. Competition for well paid jobs, for someone soon to be early 20's, is fierce. It may change by then, but the system is spitting out graduates (advanced graduates more so) year, after year, after year.

Note: I don't want to get into future work/family sponsorship here for visa/GC purposes, others know far more than me.

Why the above? For me, it was a financial call, getting educated in the UK is much cheaper than the US.

Don't put yourself in a position where you are in the US, living at home with a family member, no job, no education, no large network of personal/professional contacts. Your life will be miserable.

Good luck to you.
Old Jan 23rd 2017, 3:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Education/Employment options for someone without GCSEs?

Originally Posted by zanbay View Post
Hello

I just joined the forum and was hoping for some help regarding what options are available in the U.S for someone without any GCSEs?

I'm 16 and still living in the U.K with my dad but my mother moved out to America last may and got re-married, whilst i was unsure about moving out there myself last year i feel like i could be missing out on a better future and the deadline for the 'to follow' visa is nearing.

If your wondering why i have an absence of GCSEs its due to the fact that i was home-schooled for my secondary education and have been unable to sit GCSE assessments. I do however have a level 2 functional skills qualification in both English and Maths that i believe are equivalent to a GCSE C.

So what type of education or employment opportunities would i beable to get if i decided to make the move?

Thanks
If you join your mother, you may be able to go to the local high school where she lives....there are also (depending on where you live and what school district you are in) skills centers for teens to learn a trade. Wherever you stay, you need more education, please invest in yourself.