Wikiposts

Eddie Bauer

Old Apr 11th 2004, 9:49 am
BE Enthusiast

whatever will become famous soon enoughwhatever will become famous soon enough
Default Eddie Bauer

Okay, here's a couple of question's for those in the know Re: SUV's.

The Ford Expedition 2003. Is it worth paying a little more (approx $2,000), for an Eddie Bauer version?
Would you buy a 4 wheel-drive even though you would probably off-road only once or twice a year? All general feedback on the Expedition most welcome.

p.s. Who is this 'Eddie Bauer' bloke anyway?!?!?!
Old Apr 11th 2004, 10:23 am
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

Eddie Bauer is the name of a relatively up-market store that sells mainly clothing. As I understand, they are one of the oldest mail-order companies alongside Sears in the US.

The point of the Eddie Bauer line of Fords is that it's their way of saying that there's a full leather interior. The Eddie Bauer brand stands for quality leather tailoring, I guess.

Worth the extra $2000? That's a matter of opinion. I'd go for a good leather interior every time, but many people wouldn't bother spending the extra I guess.

If you're going to off-road once or twice a year then you'll be off-roading once or twice a year more than 99.9% of Expedition owners. That makes you an enthusiast, so you'll need to buy titanium-plate protection for the underside, four 10,000W spotlights, kevlar tyres, extra-high suspension, sat-nav, GPS and a gun rack (to help fight off the natives)... well at least that's what you'd do if you were Texan
Old Apr 11th 2004, 10:41 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Eddie Bauer

Originally posted by whatever
Okay, here's a couple of question's for those in the know Re: SUV's.

The Ford Expedition 2003. Is it worth paying a little more (approx $2,000), for an Eddie Bauer version?
Would you buy a 4 wheel-drive even though you would probably off-road only once or twice a year? All general feedback on the Expedition most welcome.

p.s. Who is this 'Eddie Bauer' bloke anyway?!?!?!
Where in the US are you going? If it's somewhere that gets a lot of snow. 4WD might be useful.

4WD cars tend to have worse gas mileage than 2WD - worth considering the way gas prices are going (I think it's typically about 1 or 2 mpg worse).
Old Apr 11th 2004, 11:14 am
BE Enthusiast

DBJ1000... okay I know I said once or twice a year but I was probably grossly exagerating Thanks for the explaination. Think we'll give the gun rack a miss!
There was us thinking that Eddie Bauer was some rugged all American truck driver!
We will be (99% sure), in Texas, funnily enough, very possibly in Plano! Is there a good car dealer in Plano that you would recommend?
Where are you from originally? How long have you been in Plano? What's it like? Do you like it there? Seem's like a pretty nice place. We have been looking at a few different places like Allen, Southlake, Flower Mound (maybe to close to DFW Airport though). Love to hear your opinions - feel free to dish the dirt!!!
PM me if you want

Dunroving...
Not too much snow in Texas from what I have heard and by what you have said it sound's like a 2wd would be fine. No point in spending extra just for gas.
Old Apr 11th 2004, 11:17 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Eddie Bauer is sort of an American Austin Reed.

Switchable 4 wheel drive would be the way to go, my other half's Ford Ranger has this, do not use it often but it snowed Saturday, enough to bring the UK to a halt, but not a big deal here. Back to t shirt weather today.

A Ranger would be considered a big truck in UK, quite titchy here.

No gun racks in Colorado, quite disappointed!
Old Apr 11th 2004, 1:37 pm
Pagan Sex God

Patrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by whatever
DBJ1000... okay I know I said once or twice a year but I was probably grossly exagerating Thanks for the explaination. Think we'll give the gun rack a miss!
There was us thinking that Eddie Bauer was some rugged all American truck driver!
We will be (99% sure), in Texas, funnily enough, very possibly in Plano! Is there a good car dealer in Plano that you would recommend?
Where are you from originally? How long have you been in Plano? What's it like? Do you like it there? Seem's like a pretty nice place. We have been looking at a few different places like Allen, Southlake, Flower Mound (maybe to close to DFW Airport though). Love to hear your opinions - feel free to dish the dirt!!!
PM me if you want

Dunroving...
Not too much snow in Texas from what I have heard and by what you have said it sound's like a 2wd would be fine. No point in spending extra just for gas.
You'll be the exception rather than the rule with a 2wd, even if you aren't going to use the 4wd it adds resale value to your vehicle. There is a beach near us that you can go driving on if you have a 4wd, just think how dissappointed you will be if you bought a 2wd then discovered there was something fun you needed 2wd for, you will find that, if you want to, you will find things to do with your 4wd

Patrick
Old Apr 11th 2004, 1:42 pm
Howling at the Moon

lairdside will become famous soon enoughlairdside will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Eddie Bauer

Originally posted by dunroving
Where in the US are you going? If it's somewhere that gets a lot of snow. 4WD might be useful.

4WD cars tend to have worse gas mileage than 2WD - worth considering the way gas prices are going (I think it's typically about 1 or 2 mpg worse).
For ice and snow I'd go with a decent AWD, raTher than 4WD (which on some vehicles is actually 3WD in reality).

If it was switchable I'd go for manual selection rather than "on the fly", inho 2WD is preferable to this as it can cause someone to flip out when it switches. More harm than good in icy conditions.
Old Apr 11th 2004, 1:44 pm
Howling at the Moon

lairdside will become famous soon enoughlairdside will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by dbj1000
Eddie Bauer is the name of a relatively up-market store that sells mainly clothing. As I understand, they are one of the oldest mail-order companies alongside Sears in the US.

The point of the Eddie Bauer line of Fords is that it's their way of saying that there's a full leather interior. The Eddie Bauer brand stands for quality leather tailoring, I guess.

Worth the extra $2000? That's a matter of opinion. I'd go for a good leather interior every time, but many people wouldn't bother spending the extra I guess.

If you're going to off-road once or twice a year then you'll be off-roading once or twice a year more than 99.9% of Expedition owners. That makes you an enthusiast, so you'll need to buy titanium-plate protection for the underside, four 10,000W spotlights, kevlar tyres, extra-high suspension, sat-nav, GPS and a gun rack (to help fight off the natives)... well at least that's what you'd do if you were Texan
LOL.

Don't forget the dog for the back and the dead animal.

If you have children as messy as mine the leather is defintely worth it. I had to put sheepskin covers on mine though as leather gets hot and tends to burn the backs of your knees when you wear a skirt in summertime (not a problem for most men).

Last edited by lairdside; Apr 11th 2004 at 1:47 pm.
Old Apr 12th 2004, 12:45 am
Forum Regular

yorkshirelass has a reputation beyond reputeyorkshirelass has a reputation beyond reputeyorkshirelass has a reputation beyond reputeyorkshirelass has a reputation beyond reputeyorkshirelass has a reputation beyond reputeyorkshirelass has a reputation beyond reputeyorkshirelass has a reputation beyond reputeyorkshirelass has a reputation beyond reputeyorkshirelass has a reputation beyond reputeyorkshirelass has a reputation beyond reputeyorkshirelass has a reputation beyond repute

Are you sure you can still purchase the Eddie Bauer Ford? The company filed for bankruptcy not too long ago and will soon be closing all their stores.
Old Apr 12th 2004, 6:00 am
Carrot Cruncher

pilgrim22 is an unknown quantity at this point

The Eddie Bauer name will still be on cars already made of course!

Exception rather than the rule with 2WD? Huh? I find that a surprising remark - I have not seen many 4WD Expeditions around here (N. Texas).

I would not waste the extra money on 4WD if you're not gonna use it, personally. But that's just my opinion. There's no beaches nor mountains in N. Texas - we live in Carrollton which is also a North Dallas suburb, west of Plano.

We have a 2000 Expedition Eddie Bauer edition - it's a nice ride, powerful Triton V8 engine, but the handling doesn't seem very sharp to me - it feels like it rolls a bit going around corners. Probably because of the "soft" suspension/air shocks. But it's the wife's car, I don't drive it much.

As for Ford dealers in Plano, there's one - Middlekauf. don't know how good they are. We got our Exp. at Payton Wright in Grapevine, out near the big airport. It wasn't the best car-buying experience in the world, either... but that's another story. However, there's tons of Ford dealers in the Dallas area, these two aren't the only ones!

p22

Last edited by pilgrim22; Apr 12th 2004 at 6:03 am.
Old Apr 12th 2004, 6:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Pimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by pilgrim22

I would not waste the extra money on 4WD if you're not gonna use it, personally. But that's just my opinion. There's no beaches nor mountains in N. Texas - we live in Carrollton which is also a North Dallas suburb, west of Plano.

p22
A friend of mine's Uncle lives in Carrollton. I visited there with him back in 97. Liked the area a lot.

Wouldnt the 4wd option ad to insurance costs also?. I know we are just going with the 2wd option for the xterra.
Old Apr 12th 2004, 6:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

Personally I wouldn't go for the leather seats...sure they look nice but in our neck of the woods they burn ya legs in the summer and are freezing in the winter... yeah maybe you can get heated seats but thats more cost (usually) and you can buy covers but then again whats the point of leather if you are just gonna cover them up. Are they really worth the extra 2 grand?

Ash
Old Apr 12th 2004, 7:03 am
BE Enthusiast

- we live in Carrollton which is also a North Dallas suburb, west of Plano.
p22
Hi Pilgrim22
Everyone seems to live in Plano area today! Okay slight exageration but it's nice to know that there are Brits out there who rate it (Pimpbots post).

Thanks for the info on Dallas area dealers. We think we may well end up living in Plano - currently reserching areas.

Can I ask, what was the bad experience buying your car?
Old Apr 12th 2004, 7:19 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

My fiancee bought her truck through the Internet, only met the Dealer when she went to collect it.

If you do not even wish to do that, you can use someone like www.carsdirect.com

Their web site will give you a price to beat if you do not use them. Net prices vary by area so having a Zip code is a must
Old Apr 12th 2004, 10:31 am
Carrot Cruncher

pilgrim22 is an unknown quantity at this point

I think that Eddie Bauers have more bells and whistles than just the leather. We haven't yet been through high summer with that car yet, but the A/C works well in it, so that should cool the seats down. Also, windshield shades help protect the dash from the intense sun, and keeps the inside a bit cooler.

The bad experience was in the financing... the dealer only gave us a 7.9% loan over 66 months, and when we told them we could probably do better with our credit union, they said "Oh we don't think you'll be able to beat this". So we called the credit union the following Monday (bought car late on a Saturday), and sure enough they gave us a 4.9% loan over 60 months, and told us that we didn't need some of the extras they tried to sell us. So we ended up with slightly lower payments in the end. Then the dealer dragged their heels in signing the paperwork to hand over the loan info to the CU. So I now call "Payton Wright Ford" "Painful Fight Ford".

The two Ford dealers we've dealt with, the other being Prestige in Garland, have these "towers" where the finance guys in sharp collars-and-ties with flashy gaudy jewelry come up with the numbers when you're working out your deal, and your salesperson goes back and forth between you and these guys until a deal is agreed. These can be intimidating, and in fact I read an article on edmunds.com (sorry, too lazy to look up the link right now) that this is deliberate, and meant to give the impression the the dealer is in control. I did not see this kind of thing at the Nissan dealer I bought my Frontier from, although the salesman did disappear after each iteration of haggling the numbers.

Anyhoo, rambling a bit here....

If you're considering Plano, you may also consider Carrollton , Frisco, The Colony, Lewisville, and like you said, Flower Mound... depends on what your criteria are for choosing a location, i.e. job, schools, shopping etc etc...

p22

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.