Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Is the economy stopping you from accepting a relocation offer?

Is the economy stopping you from accepting a relocation offer?

Old Feb 7th 2009, 7:47 am

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Is the economy stopping you from accepting a relocation offer?

Originally Posted by MsElui
i would imagine for most people facing this situation now - the concerns would be what to do with the house you own back in blighty.

with sinking house prices and a slow market - people dont necessarily want to sell up as they wont get much money from it (or maybe negative equity !) and might not be able to find a buyer in any case! And if they dont want to/cant sell - they worry about will their possible rental cover mortgage and agency costs etc.

Then the sinking exchange rate means their pound is worth less and less - and unless the company is offering a wage taking that into account - worry they could be getting screwed.
Our move is family, rather than work, but we've experienced every one of the challenges you list. At the end of the day, though, SWMBO wanted to go home and we figured it's now or never, so we just went for it.

I am practising saying "You want fries with that?" though.
Old Feb 7th 2009, 3:40 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is the economy stopping you from accepting a relocation offer?

Besides the whole "selling the house (that has dropped in value)" thing, and the "sterling exchange rate (down the toilet)" thing, the other economic concern making a UK-US relocation chancy can be summed up in one word: Uncertainty.

The economic news is changing every day (for the worse), and I'd be worried that a job offer could evaporate in an instant. I was shortlisted for a plum job late last year and had been waiting to hear about interview details. Just yesterday I found out the position has been frozen (state school), which likely means either a) the position search will be unfrozen, probably next academic year, or b) the position will simply disappear. :curse: