British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Is the economy stopping you from accepting a relocation offer? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/economy-stopping-you-accepting-relocation-offer-589784/)

ukintexas Feb 6th 2009 7:09 pm

Is the economy stopping you from accepting a relocation offer?

Hi all,
Wonder if you could help me. I would really appreciate any input you can give me on what your key concerns are at the moment with regard to accepting offers to relocate to the US. Are people reticent to do so because of the economy globally being so bad?
I confess I'm asking because I need to write an article for my job, highlighting what companies should be focusing on when making offers to employees to relocate at the moment. Should they be making sure a repatriation clause is in the offer to minimize fears of what would happen if you needed to go home because of company difficulties? That sort of thing.
As an expat myself I can draw on my own experiences, but thought it would be interesting to open it up to the crowd too and get some help! Thanks for any feedback. :thumbsup:

Bob Feb 6th 2009 7:35 pm

Re: Is the economy stopping you from accepting a relocation offer?

Most of us are already here so errr...probably not much use, unless it's for people relocating around the US.

ukintexas Feb 6th 2009 7:40 pm

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 7257736)
Most of us are already here so errr...probably not much use, unless it's for people relocating around the US.

Hi Bob
I'm already here too! I can still remember my thoughts on what enticed or scared me about making the decision though. Am hoping others that are here already might be able to reflect too and be willing to share their thoughts. Equally, thought I might reach some who are searching the forums as they make their decision to relocate. Perhaps the way I worded it made it sound like only those about to make the decision could answer. Hope that makes a little more sense. Thanks for the redirection.

Jerseygirl Feb 6th 2009 7:43 pm

Originally Posted by ukintexas (Post 7257761)
Hi Bob
I'm already here too! I can still remember my thoughts on what enticed or scared me about making the decision though. Am hoping others that are here already might be able to reflect too and be willing to share their thoughts. Equally, thought I might reach some who are searching the forums as they make their decision to relocate. Perhaps the way I worded it made it sound like only those about to make the decision could answer. Hope that makes a little more sense. Thanks for the redirection.

There's been a couple of posts recently from people asking the same question.

ukintexas Feb 6th 2009 7:44 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 7257773)
There's been a couple of posts recently from people asking the same question.

Really Jerseygirl? I haven't seen those - in this bit of the forums? Any idea how I can search for them? Thanks.

Jerseygirl Feb 6th 2009 7:48 pm

Originally Posted by ukintexas (Post 7257778)
Really Jerseygirl? I haven't seen those - in this bit of the forums? Any idea how I can search for them? Thanks.

Either in the US or Trailer Park forums. There's a Search tab at the top of the page but I think the search may be a little too broad to find them. Sorry I can't remember the threads in question...just people asking generally if now is a good time to jump ship.

ukintexas Feb 6th 2009 7:51 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 7257794)
Either in the US or Trailer Park forums. There's a Search tab at the top of the page but I think the search may be a little too broad to find them. Sorry I can't remember the threads in question...just people asking generally if now is a good time to jump ship.

Thanks Jerseygirl. I'll mooch on through some of the forums and see what I can find. Appreciated.

Jerseygirl Feb 6th 2009 7:59 pm

Originally Posted by ukintexas (Post 7257807)
Thanks Jerseygirl. I'll mooch on through some of the forums and see what I can find. Appreciated.

Actually thinking about it they could have been people with USC spouses who were thinking about moving here and not with a relo offer. Sorry I can only remember a couple asking if now was a good time to make the move due to the economy.

If you read through the threads over the last few months...you will probably come across people who are making the move due to a job transfer...they may be able to help you. They must have had the same concerns.

MsElui Feb 6th 2009 8:09 pm

i would imagine for most people facing this situation now - the concerns would be what to do with the house you own back in blighty.

with sinking house prices and a slow market - people dont necessarily want to sell up as they wont get much money from it (or maybe negative equity !) and might not be able to find a buyer in any case! And if they dont want to/cant sell - they worry about will their possible rental cover mortgage and agency costs etc.

Then the sinking exchange rate means their pound is worth less and less - and unless the company is offering a wage taking that into account - worry they could be getting screwed.

Jerseygirl Feb 6th 2009 8:47 pm

I've caught a live one for you. ;) She's not raised any concerns but she must have a few I would imagine.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=589787

Bluegrass Lass Feb 6th 2009 9:18 pm

Originally Posted by MsElui (Post 7257883)

with sinking house prices and a slow market - people dont necessarily want to sell up as they wont get much money from it (or maybe negative equity !) and might not be able to find a buyer in any case! And if they dont want to/cant sell - they worry about will their possible rental cover mortgage and agency costs etc.

My OH has been searching for a few positions within the US - for us it would an internal move since we already live here. But the housing situation is one of the key factors against him taking a job in another state, even if it was a better paying or more fulfilling job. It's actually rather depressing. Having a house is suppossed to be this great accomplishment and provide a feeling of security. It just feels like a great big noose around our necks right now.

Bob Feb 6th 2009 10:02 pm

Originally Posted by sunflwrgrl13 (Post 7258135)
My OH has been searching for a few positions within the US - for us it would an internal move since we already live here. But the housing situation is one of the key factors against him taking a job in another state, even if it was a better paying or more fulfilling job. It's actually rather depressing. Having a house is suppossed to be this great accomplishment and provide a feeling of security. It just feels like a great big noose around our necks right now.

We don't have a house and the idea of moving would be great and even before the house prices took a dip, there weren't that many places that had a higher cost of living than where we already are for a work hub, and now, well if we move we could actually afford something that's not a closet, so for us its been great :D

I say that, being made redundant hasn't been so great though :D

ukintexas Feb 7th 2009 12:13 am

Thanks everyone - really appreciate the input and the time taken to respond to my post.

meauxna Feb 7th 2009 1:10 am

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 7258291)

I say that, being made redundant hasn't been so great though :D

At least you were ahead of the curve, you trend setter you. :p

Bob Feb 7th 2009 2:34 am

Originally Posted by meauxna (Post 7258765)
At least you were ahead of the curve, you trend setter you. :p

lol indeed :D