Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

eBay and showing the currect country/currency in all areas

eBay and showing the currect country/currency in all areas

Old Jun 22nd 2014, 5:39 pm
Forum Regular

The Earl of Drumer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Earl of Drumer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Earl of Drumer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Earl of Drumer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Earl of Drumer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Earl of Drumer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Earl of Drumer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Earl of Drumer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Earl of Drumer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Earl of Drumer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Earl of Drumer has a reputation beyond repute
Default eBay and showing the currect country/currency in all areas

I moved from the UK to the US in early 2012 and one of the things I had to do was change eBay's country for my account. Now, I closed my old UK PayPal account and created a US one because I know there isn't an way to re-configure that, but re: eBay I altered my registered address and also changed the currency.

However, ever since then it's still a weird mish-mash of UK and US. I can buy and sell things just fine, which is why I've not really pursued this particularly, but if I enable newsletters they're .co.uk ones, and my 'Sell' monthly limit always show as GBP with no way to change it. Aside from signing in if I have to enter my password anywhere on the site I tend to have to enter it twice - once for the US and once for the UK.

This kind of thing happens (albeit less often) on Amazon, too; I had to call them once for something unrelated and they stated it was logging them in to the UK site by default. It was a pain to have to explain I live in the US now and redirect them verbally.

Does anybody know what I can do about this? Presumably the original UK flag set to my account is still active; I'm surprised it wasn't changed over when I tinkered with the settings. I suppose I could just call them and ask, but with the mish-mash of countries I'm thinking there's not much that can be done, or they won't care enough.

As said, not really a huge deal, but it would be nice to finally resolve this.

(On a separate note if I try and search for absolutely anything on these forums I get told there's no matches, no matter what it is. Even if the word is 'immigration', for example. How odd.)
Old Jun 22nd 2014, 10:05 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: eBay and showing the currect country/currency in all areas

Our search engine is down...it's been problematic for some time. Sorry.
Old Jun 23rd 2014, 1:49 pm
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

I moved from the UK to the US in early 2012 and one of the things I had to do was change eBay's country for my account. Now, I closed my old UK PayPal account and created a US one because I know there isn't an way to re-configure that, but re: eBay I altered my registered address and also changed the currency.

However, ever since then it's still a weird mish-mash of UK and US. I can buy and sell things just fine, which is why I've not really pursued this particularly, but if I enable newsletters they're .co.uk ones, and my 'Sell' monthly limit always show as GBP with no way to change it. Aside from signing in if I have to enter my password anywhere on the site I tend to have to enter it twice - once for the US and once for the UK.

This kind of thing happens (albeit less often) on Amazon, too; I had to call them once for something unrelated and they stated it was logging them in to the UK site by default. It was a pain to have to explain I live in the US now and redirect them verbally.

Does anybody know what I can do about this? Presumably the original UK flag set to my account is still active; I'm surprised it wasn't changed over when I tinkered with the settings. I suppose I could just call them and ask, but with the mish-mash of countries I'm thinking there's not much that can be done, or they won't care enough.

As said, not really a huge deal, but it would be nice to finally resolve this.

(On a separate note if I try and search for absolutely anything on these forums I get told there's no matches, no matter what it is. Even if the word is 'immigration', for example. How odd.)
You have to call eBay and request that your account be switched to the 'US'. You can't do this yourself via their website, it must be done by either phoning or using their secure webchat facility.
Old Jun 25th 2014, 3:36 pm
Forum Regular

The Earl of Drumer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Earl of Drumer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Earl of Drumer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Earl of Drumer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Earl of Drumer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Earl of Drumer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Earl of Drumer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Earl of Drumer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Earl of Drumer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Earl of Drumer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Earl of Drumer has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers. Yes, called them up and it only took a couple of minutes. I had to 'verify' that I was me by telling the lady what e-mail address I signed up to eBay with (which was just the (then) UK googlemail version of my current gmail address, hah), and within a few minutes it was changed over.

I'm not entirely sure why this can't just be done in the account info like the registered address et al, but I suppose there must be a reason. At least I didn't have to completely close my account and create a new one like I did with PayPal.

I shot off an e-mail to Amazon to ask the same thing, but I never tend to get very good replies with them.
Old Jun 25th 2014, 4:26 pm
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers. Yes, called them up and it only took a couple of minutes. I had to 'verify' that I was me by telling the lady what e-mail address I signed up to eBay with (which was just the (then) UK googlemail version of my current gmail address, hah), and within a few minutes it was changed over.

I'm not entirely sure why this can't just be done in the account info like the registered address et al, but I suppose there must be a reason. At least I didn't have to completely close my account and create a new one like I did with PayPal.

I shot off an e-mail to Amazon to ask the same thing, but I never tend to get very good replies with them.
You don't need to do anything with Amazon. You can just login to amazon.com using your .co.uk details and change your address / card details as appropriate.
Old Jun 25th 2014, 5:02 pm
Forum Regular

Oh, I know, but whenever I've contacted Amazon in the past and they've logged into my account it would always take them to the UK page by default, so there must be some flag stored somewhere regarding that. Very trivial, but I was in the mood to resolve things so thought I'd try.
Old Jun 27th 2014, 3:17 pm
Forum Regular

Just a final FYI for anybody that has a similar issue/searches for this problem here in the future: I'm fairly certain if you sell on eBay you'll also need to update/re-do your (PayPal) automatic payment option in the Account>Seller Account section of eBay. It seems, at least in my case, when they switched me over to a fully US account the earlier automatic payment agreement was silently cancelled (since it was with the EU arm of the company), and I needed to set up and agree to the US one. It took ten seconds.

The only reason I found out was because I was about to re-list an unsold item and I got the warning pop up that they had no way to take their cut of the (potential) sale.