Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

EB-2 Exceptional Ability

EB-2 Exceptional Ability

Old Jul 6th 2016, 6:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: EB-2 Exceptional Ability

Originally Posted by ZoeT90
I am not just looking to be an accountant - I want to do more than that, that's why I am doing a business degree also.

My step-father is very good with IT and software packages, he's mentioned that in his and my mothers company the accounting software is useless - who knows me and him could develop something together.....
Accountants know about business. Any successful accountant is commercially inclined, this is nothing special, it is expected.

You are not going to invent accounting software with functionality that nobody else has thought of, there are huge organisations dedicated to doing nothing but develop accounting software how are you ever going to compete. Perhaps your step father just doesn't understand accounting or made a poor choice. Either way, there really are plenty of very good accounting systems out there and there is no gap in the market, in fact it is a crowded market. I can assure you of this.
Old Jul 6th 2016, 7:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all,

I'm appearing on Britain's Got Talent, so when I win showing off my yak milking talents (which is a surefire winner - I can do it blindfolded), which visa should I get?
Old Jul 6th 2016, 8:36 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ZoeT90
That's all fine - but what one person dislikes another may like....

I've been to Orlando, Miami, Fort Lauderdale, Clearwater, Tampa, Jacksonville, Tallahassee, Key West, and so many more little towns I can't even remember.....but how were you to know my experience - you just assumed I was another 'Brit wannabe'

I didn't say anything about disliking anything or anyplace or anyone. I'm pointing out that America is not paradise. You, if you are lucky enough to make it here, will find that it is actually less than what you have right this minute in the UK. But you don't want to see that and are beating yourself numb with trying on different visas for a good fit.

I cannot understand the desperation you are displaying to come to a country that you have only visited. You have not worked here; lived here; gotten sick here; gone to school here; purchased a home here, etc.

It is wonderful to have a goal in life. But it appears, at least to me, that you are obsessed with your goal.

You don't want to see what I have to say and so I will stop banging my drum in an empty room.

BTW as for Florida, I leave for that state tomorrow morning to visit my sister. I have spent many weeks in Florida in various cities that my daughter and my sister have lived in. And yes, I have even been to Disneyworld. And you are a "Brit wanna be".
Old Jul 6th 2016, 9:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

neill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond repute

The criteria for EB-2/NIW is high. I suspect most that would qualify under EB-2/NIW could also make the case under EB-1 extraordinary ability.

There is a well known case precedent(?) -see link below- that spelt out the conditions to meet "National Interest". In particular, note "The proposed impact must be national in scope".

https://www.uscis.gov/eir/visa-guide...nterest-waiver
Old Jul 7th 2016, 1:36 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tcburke
Yes. Received Green Cards for me, my wife and son late April 2016.
I petitioned on basis of my business work pioneering collaborative/partnerships with various governments and US and US Industry. Began with UK! while with UK mentored/helped Australia, Canada, then most recent working here for a multi-national airlift partnership based in Hungary. In my EB-2 petition I demonstrated the benefits to US National Interests: security, economy and jobs.

Took a long time building the partnerships, almost as long to get the Permanent Resident status!

Everyone seems to have glossed over this rather impressive initial post by this individual.

So you're saying you managed to get an NIW? First person I can ever recall who has managed to pull it off, most people go for EB-1A instead.
Old Jul 7th 2016, 11:53 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_
So you're saying you managed to get an NIW? First person I can ever recall who has managed to pull it off, most people go for EB-1A instead.
There have been quite a few on the forum that I can think of - phoenix25, sherbert and dbj1000 spring to mind, but I'm sure there have been others over the years too. Although irrc, sherbert is still going through the process so hasn't quite 'pulled it off' just yet!
Old Jul 8th 2016, 11:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

sherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond repute

Haven't got it yet: it is in process (almost ready to submit) but to be honest I'm quite sceptical as to whether we will be successful (may have just thrown thousands of $$$ down the drain if the 'attention to detail' from my lawyer so far is anything to go by...). I know several academics who have successfully petitioned with 'no win, no fee' lawyers so I assume their case gets taken on because there's an overwhelming chance they will be successful.
Old Jul 10th 2016, 12:41 pm
Forum Regular

michaeldc is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ecpb1992
On a side note, my partner had a petition filed for an O-1 (for exceptional ability) for him back in 2014 as an international tennis player with a great world ranking and numerous internationally renowned awards, only to be deemed not extraordinary enough (pff)! We're now in the process for applying for an E2 visa for an investment visa into a business but it just helps to put into perspective just how tight the process is to move to the US (not to mention costly).
Ooh now I'm interested

I wouldn't expect you to divulge much information but as a tennis fan I'm curious, what ranking did your partner get to?
Old Jul 13th 2016, 1:57 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ecpb1992
On a side note, my partner had a petition filed for an O-1 (for exceptional ability) for him back in 2014 as an international tennis player with a great world ranking and numerous internationally renowned awards, only to be deemed not extraordinary enough (pff)! We're now in the process for applying for an E2 visa for an investment visa into a business but it just helps to put into perspective just how tight the process is to move to the US (not to mention costly).

I hope this helps in some way!
Hmm. I know people who've gotten EB-1A let alone O-1 based on their sporting achievements. One was a LPGA highly ranked player and the other was a water skier. Also a former T&F athlete, he was highly ranked at one point but hadn't been for years but still somehow got it.

The trick to it seems to be to send in a glossy magazine cover with said person on the front, imx.

I'm totally astonished at some of the people I know who've gotten O-1. Like literally I can't believe it. Although they were O-1B. One was an actress I can guarantee you've never heard of and her IMDB entry has hardly anything in it and they're all minor parts. Another was in an Australian reality TV show. How the hell does that make you "extraordinary"?
Old Jul 13th 2016, 2:39 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Hmm. I know people who've gotten EB-1A let alone O-1 based on their sporting achievements. One was a LPGA highly ranked player and the other was a water skier. Also a former T&F athlete, he was highly ranked at one point but hadn't been for years but still somehow got it.

The trick to it seems to be to send in a glossy magazine cover with said person on the front, imx.

I'm totally astonished at some of the people I know who've gotten O-1. Like literally I can't believe it. Although they were O-1B. One was an actress I can guarantee you've never heard of and her IMDB entry has hardly anything in it and they're all minor parts. Another was in an Australian reality TV show. How the hell does that make you "extraordinary"?
I got a second audition for an Australian baking competition (Great Australian Bakeoff). Doesn't that make me extraordinary?
Old Jul 13th 2016, 12:11 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

I'd chatted to a guy who has won two BAFTA's, has a few million plus selling games to his resume as a art and technical lead/director in games people probably have heard of and a list of games as long as your arm over 16 years and the company that wanted to get him a O1 were unsuccessful. Bonkers.
Old Jul 13th 2016, 12:38 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
I'd chatted to a guy who has won two BAFTA's, has a few million plus selling games to his resume as a art and technical lead/director in games people probably have heard of and a list of games as long as your arm over 16 years and the company that wanted to get him a O1 were unsuccessful. Bonkers.
He should have added some nude modeling (Reuters article) to his résumé.
Old Jul 13th 2016, 1:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

It's probably easier to get a job in the city with an American firm and get a visa that way. that's what one of my Oxbridge colleagues did. But then he moved to back to the UK as his wife was a surgeon and that's a difficult jump to the US. He also likes his Aston Martin's which has a lot smaller community in the US

Last edited by mrken30; Jul 13th 2016 at 1:53 pm.
Old Jul 13th 2016, 2:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
I got a second audition for an Australian baking competition (Great Australian Bakeoff). Doesn't that make me extraordinary?
Where are the cakes?
Old Jul 13th 2016, 11:46 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrken30
Where are the cakes?
Competition entry and step daughter's wedding cake below...
Attached Thumbnails EB-2 Exceptional Ability-280.jpg   EB-2 Exceptional Ability-img_4744.jpg  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.