Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Eating out vs. Supermarket

View Poll Results: Apart from breakfast, what do you MOSTLY do about lunch/supper
I eat out
8.89%
I make something myself
91.11%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Eating out vs. Supermarket

Old Sep 2nd 2016, 6:03 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Eating out vs. Supermarket

$10 will feed 1 person at most chain burger joints here in BC, assuming your buy a combo with fries and a drink.

They are not the places to go though, Chinese places are, 6.25 for so much food it literally can be 3 meals.

Originally Posted by sherbert
Really depends on where you shop and where you eat out. In the Bay Area you'll drop $70 on dinner for two (including one alcoholic drink each) and it will be mediocre at best, that's IF you can get into the restaurant in the first place without having to wait in line for two hours.

If you're into fast food then yes, you can feed an entire family of 5 on chicken nuggets and coke for less than $10.

The lower end supermarkets and Latino stores sell fresh produce and name brands at low prices. I don't know why anyone ever shops at Safeway.
Old Sep 2nd 2016, 6:09 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

The lower end supermarkets and Latino stores sell fresh produce and name brands at low prices. I don't know why anyone ever shops at Safeway.
this is a really good point - the other day I was heading out of central Austin and there is a huge Fiesta supermarket there that I've been meaning to check out for ages. There were no spaces in the car park. People were doing that stalking thing that I remember from my sainsbury saturday shopping trips. I gave up and went home.
Old Sep 2nd 2016, 6:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

They generally don't sell organic produce
Old Sep 2nd 2016, 7:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

sherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrken30
They generally don't sell organic produce
Many of the ones here in the Bay Area do.

$10 will feed 1 person at most chain burger joints here in BC, assuming your buy a combo with fries and a drink.
Just heard an ad on the radio for 10 chicken nuggets for 1.49...

And if you've ever wondered where your 'homemade' pesto/ravioli/pasta sauce is really being 'made', head on down to Costco at 10am to watch the spectacle of the local restaurateurs loading up their trolleys with the day's goodies!
Old Sep 2nd 2016, 7:08 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Always amazes me how cheap fast food can be in the US. Crazy cheap it seems.

Here fast food is convenient but but not cheap. 2 adult ordering 2 burgers, 2 fries and 2 drinks, pushing 20 dollars.

I've seen families go through MCds drive thru showing 75 dollars on the screen.

Many of the ones here in the Bay Area do.

Just heard an ad on the radio for 10 chicken nuggets for 1.49...

And if you've ever wondered where your 'homemade' pesto/ravioli/pasta sauce is really being 'made', head on down to Costco at 10am to watch the spectacle of the local restaurateurs loading up their trolleys with the day's goodies!
Old Sep 2nd 2016, 11:34 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Always amazes me how cheap fast food can be in the US. Crazy cheap it seems.

Here fast food is convenient but but not cheap. 2 adult ordering 2 burgers, 2 fries and 2 drinks, pushing 20 dollars. .....
It's about the same in the US IMO. If Mrs P, little Miss P and I get burgers, or similar, such as Subpar sandwiches, it runs close to $20.

I made a mistake of ordering a basic cheeseburger a couple of months ago, and it was soggy and pathetic.
Old Sep 2nd 2016, 11:47 pm
Account Closed

Oh yes the basic cheeseburger at most places are about as gross as you can get.

Originally Posted by Pulaski
It's about the same in the US IMO. If Mrs P, little Miss P and I get burgers, or similar, such as Subpar sandwiches, it runs close to $20.

I made a mistake of ordering a basic cheeseburger a couple of months ago, and it was soggy and pathetic.
Old Sep 3rd 2016, 6:40 am
Just Joined

lanyloopoo is an unknown quantity at this point

The lady who said eating out was cheaper also said just eat Mexican, could this have any bearing on it? X
Old Sep 3rd 2016, 7:21 am
BE Enthusiast

sherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lanyloopoo
The lady who said eating out was cheaper also said just eat Mexican, could this have any bearing on it? X
Yes - at the taquerias (i.e. the simple counter-service places) you can get an enormous burrito for about $6.