Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Easter Bunny- What's He(?) All About?

Easter Bunny- What's He(?) All About?

Old Apr 9th 2004, 7:29 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Easter Bunny- What's He(?) All About?

I don't understand the US's fixation on the Easter Bunny...

If it were the Easter lamb, I'd understand.

How does the bunny relate to the Easter story (i.e. Jesus's death and resurrection)?

Any why is a bunny delivering eggs? Chickens and other poultry lay eggs, rabbits don't.

Rabbits do produce rabbit poo but I don't think hung the rabbit poo would really catch on

I favour the Easter chicken bringing eggs!! I like eating rabbit anyway!
Old Apr 10th 2004, 12:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Taffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Easter Bunny- What's He(?) All About?

Originally posted by NC Penguin

How does the bunny relate to the Easter story (i.e. Jesus's death and resurrection)?

Any why is a bunny delivering eggs? Chickens and other poultry lay eggs, rabbits don't.

Rabbits do produce rabbit poo but I don't think hung the rabbit poo would really catch on

I've wondered that too. Maybee...St Patrick had a pet rabbit...maybe the magic rabbit is one of the three things James Joyce was referring to in his "Patrick's flop hatrick" (Finnegan's Wake). Just ignore me...its been a hectic day ...TGIF
Old Apr 10th 2004, 1:19 am
Through the square window

Webbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond repute

I actually learnt the other day - from that "Jeopardy" quiz show that the Easter bunny is from a Pagan ritual that was just kept going. Cool.
It's like Crimbo trees - it has fück all to do with the actual event (the rebirth/death of Christ ? Sorry not big on religion) but forever associated with it.

And what's with the Purple sash on the cross for ? Has he finally been outed and Prince was the second coming but didn't tell anyone ?

"Yeah it was me. I just wanted to do a few albums and a line of coke first."

Last edited by Webbie; Apr 10th 2004 at 1:23 am.
Old Apr 10th 2004, 3:07 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Rabbits do produce rabbit poo but I don't think hung the rabbit poo would really catch on.

Thank you NC Patrick!
Old Apr 10th 2004, 3:57 am
UK & US Citizen

ScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond repute

What about chocolate eggs? Find the answer to that one while you're at it.
Old Apr 10th 2004, 7:43 am
Forum Regular

ejay1 will become famous soon enough

What I would like to know is how do they get the chocalate in the eggs.
Old Apr 10th 2004, 12:18 pm
Account Closed

Dimsie is an unknown quantity at this point

Here's an extract from www.cainer.com earlier this week

Easter bunnies are actually hares rather than rabbits, and the hare was thought sacred to the moon goddess. The first full moon following the spring equinox defines the date of Easter, hence the bunnies. Or is it just a symbol of the way the date of Easter jumps about?

The calendar we use today was devised to correct errors in the previous system, which had begun to slip when compared to the stars. The Orthodox churches in Eastern Europe still use the older calendar, which makes Easter fall on a different date. About one year in four, however, the calendars coincide, and this year is one of them. We're all celebrating together. Happy Easter, everybody.

Ann
Old Apr 10th 2004, 9:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

CitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond repute

My understanding of the situation is this...

The easter bunny and easter eggs represent the pagan festivals which existed before the Christian holidays.

When the Roman empire converted to Christianity they made the major Christian dates of the year coincide with the pagan holidays which already existed in order to make the conversion easier.

This is also the situation with Christmas being on December 25th. Prior to the Roman conversion to christianity, December 25th was the festival of the Sun god in Rome. It is the pagan festival that has generated Christmas symbols such as Santa Claus and mistletoe.

The fact is that the Christian holidays are representative of the events rather than being on the exact dates that the events occured during the time of Jesus.
Old Apr 13th 2004, 3:01 am
You Are All Diseased

rincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond repute

Found this on a history site. I knew it was Pagan thing but here is more info:

The Easter bunny has its origin in pre-Christian fertility lore. The Hare and the Rabbit were the most fertile animals known and they served as symbols of the new life during the Spring season.

The bunny as an Easter symbol seems to have it's origins in Germany, where it was first mentioned in German writings in the 1500s. The first edible Easter bunnies were made in Germany during the early 1800s. And were made of pastry and sugar

The Easter bunny was introduced to American folklore by the German settlers who arrived in the Pennsylvania Dutch country during the 1700s. The arrival of the "Oschter Haws" was considered "childhood's greatest pleasure" next to a visit from Christ-Kindel on Christmas Eve. The children believed that if they were good the "Oschter Haws" would lay a nest of colored eggs.

The children would build their nest in a secluded place in the home, the barn or the garden. Boys would use their caps and girls their bonnets to make the nests . The use of elaborate Easter baskets would come later as the tradition of the Easter bunny spread through out the country.
I have to sit back and laugh and watch the hypocritical christians here that deem other religions heresy yet fill their yards with eggs.

If only they knew all of the other religious symbols and rituals they stole from the so called "heretics."

The only thing Easter is good for is the widely available Cadbury's Creme Eggs.
Old Apr 14th 2004, 10:11 pm
Not dead yet

Thydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond repute

The rabbits are actually hares a sign of fertility March is the breeding season after winter Mad March hares and all that is the mating palaver they go through.They were substituted by the early church as a way of subtly removing the real pagan symbol and as such the moving the festival to a Christian meaning
The festival is a pagan festival 'hijacked' to make the transition to Christianity easier even the name easter is derived from the pagan god 'Aster'(sorry if the spelling is wrong) who's festival it was.
The eggs are symbolic of new birth chicks hatching and such.
It is true that Christianity took over pagan festivals but Santa Claus is a corruption of Saint Nicholas the Dutch chap who gave gifts and not a Roman sun god.