Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

East coast vs. West coast living

East coast vs. West coast living

Old Feb 4th 2004, 5:52 pm
Forum Regular

swingin scot is on a distinguished road
Default East coast vs. West coast living

Having lived in Southern California for the past 8 years I'm getting that itch to experience something different again. Top of our list is Boston and other areas around there on and near the East coast. Has anyone lived there? Have any opinions on the way of life out there? What it's like to live there? It would be nice to see the pros and cons people think there are of living out there as opposed to here in S Cal. For me one major one would be the weather, ahhhh to have seasons again AND be a closer trip back to the UK ... but on the flip side we do have it pretty nice out here in constant sunshine. Thoughts?
Old Feb 4th 2004, 6:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

effi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud of
Default Re: East coast vs. West coast living

Originally posted by swingin scot
Having lived in Southern California for the past 8 years I'm getting that itch to experience something different again. Top of our list is Boston and other areas around there on and near the East coast. Has anyone lived there? Have any opinions on the way of life out there? What it's like to live there? It would be nice to see the pros and cons people think there are of living out there as opposed to here in S Cal. For me one major one would be the weather, ahhhh to have seasons again AND be a closer trip back to the UK ... but on the flip side we do have it pretty nice out here in constant sunshine. Thoughts?
I lived in Philly for 10 years and here in AZ for 6. I loved Philly, and miss it terribly. It is very industrialised over there, busy and fun and some of the coastline areas are beautiful. The weather can be a bit iffy. One winter we had over 3ft of snow over the weekend and everything came to a standstill for about 2 days, but that is not the norm. It gets very cold though in winter. Summer in Philly was miserably humid and hot, usually in a ratio of 90/90. If we could have the AZ sunshine in Philly, I would move back tomorrow. I am Scottish by the way, so am used to the cold weather and did not mind the snow, I was brought up in Fife. The one thing I do miss is the changing of the leaves in the Autumn. People travel to the east coast just to see that.
Old Feb 4th 2004, 8:12 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

If you want four seasons, my part of NC definitely has that. I think that must be one of the major attractions for "Northerners" fed up of shovelling their vehicles out of the snow at wintertime.

Also, the cost of living is noticeably less than larger metropolitan cities in the NE part of the US. Also, the Triangle has a non-stop direct flight to the UK (to Gatwick fortunately).
Old Feb 4th 2004, 8:33 pm
JeanDupont

I could not take that cold weather on the east coast - though its nice to visit in the fall.
No I will stick here - 30 mins to Hollywood - dry atmosphere - warm weather and sunshine - even if the traffic is intense if I want to go anywhere.

Old Feb 4th 2004, 9:14 pm
Forum Regular

swingin scot is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by effi
I lived in Philly for 10 years and here in AZ for 6. I loved Philly, and miss it terribly. It is very industrialised over there, busy and fun and some of the coastline areas are beautiful. The weather can be a bit iffy. One winter we had over 3ft of snow over the weekend and everything came to a standstill for about 2 days, but that is not the norm. It gets very cold though in winter. Summer in Philly was miserably humid and hot, usually in a ratio of 90/90. If we could have the AZ sunshine in Philly, I would move back tomorrow. I am Scottish by the way, so am used to the cold weather and did not mind the snow, I was brought up in Fife. The one thing I do miss is the changing of the leaves in the Autumn. People travel to the east coast just to see that.
Sweet ... I grew up in Fife too. I'm from Kincardine ... where you from? Definately miss the seasons and it's really nice to play in the snow every now and then
Old Feb 5th 2004, 1:36 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by NC Penguin
.... Also, the Triangle has a non-stop direct flight to the UK (to Gatwick fortunately).
Ditto Charlotte, NC.

From New Jersey north and east to Boston the cost of living is high, though perhaps you wouldn't notice if you are living in Southern California. The cost of housing is crazy anywhere near New York (meaning within 2½ hours commute of Manhattan), and through much of New England, and aside from income taxes, property taxes can be really off the scale - $10,000 a year for a relatively ordinary 3 or 4 bed (1,800 sqft) house is not all uncommon.

I (for once ) agree wholeheartedly with NCP, North Carolina is the place to be!
Old Feb 5th 2004, 1:47 am
Through the square window

Webbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Pulaski
Another vote for NC here. Helluvalot of Brits here for some reason.
Old Feb 5th 2004, 6:08 am
Forum Regular

Dant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud of

My wife's family have lived in SoCal for the last 20 years but all originally from Boston and the old East coasters still visit from time to time. Though everyone loves Massachussettes and were all cheering for the Patriots on Sunday, the one and only reason none of them would go back is the weather. It's not just cold up there, it's positively Siberian - my wife's uncle actually got frozen into his bloody house. I always liked Chicago, but that gets pretty chilly too. I'll be sticking with California for a few years yet.

James
Old Feb 5th 2004, 3:56 pm
Forum Regular

Jxab12 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Pulaski
Ditto Charlotte, NC.

From New Jersey north and east to Boston the cost of living is high, though perhaps you wouldn't notice if you are living in Southern California. The cost of housing is crazy anywhere near New York (meaning within 2½ hours commute of Manhattan), and through much of New England, and aside from income taxes, property taxes can be really off the scale - $10,000 a year for a relatively ordinary 3 or 4 bed (1,800 sqft) house is not all uncommon.

I can second the comments from Pulaski with regards to property prices and taxes (here on the Island 10K is considered a very good deal). However, from what I've seen, house prices are comparable to LA. 3-4 beds probably around 500-600K ish in a semi decent area with about 1/4 acre.
Old Feb 6th 2004, 6:53 pm
Forum Regular

ctwickman is a jewel in the roughctwickman is a jewel in the roughctwickman is a jewel in the roughctwickman is a jewel in the rough

Why are you limiting yourself to the coasts? There are many great areas in between. It's not like once you hit the coasts life automatically becomes better. Try Chicago, for instance.
Old Feb 6th 2004, 6:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

effi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud of

Sweet ... I grew up in Fife too. I'm from Kincardine ... where you from? Definately miss the seasons and it's really nice to play in the snow every now and then
I am originally from a small place called Kinglassie, then moved to Glenrothes when I was 15. I too miss the seasons. The sun here in AZ is great, but that is all there is, every single day, gets old pretty quick.
Old Feb 6th 2004, 8:04 pm
Forum Regular

Suess is a name known to allSuess is a name known to allSuess is a name known to allSuess is a name known to allSuess is a name known to allSuess is a name known to allSuess is a name known to allSuess is a name known to allSuess is a name known to allSuess is a name known to allSuess is a name known to all

Hi Effi,
I live in Kennoway Fife and I am in the process of applying for a K1 Visa. My fiance lives in Pennsylvania. We are thinking about moving to the west coast once I get there and all the paper work is done. I know he is cheesed off at the moment having to dig his car out of the snow and in the summer the humidity can be unbearable. But weather aside the east coast is a beautiful part of the country.

By the way I work in Glenrothes for an American Company and some of my work mates live in Kinglassie.

The weather in Fife tonight is raining and windy. Typical. See what your missing..................

Best wishes to everyone on this forum. You have been a great source of information. Many thanks.

Patiently waiting on Vermont

Suess
Old Feb 8th 2004, 2:40 am
Forum Regular

156thSt. is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool Pennsylvania

Suess is right (My fiance'!). I am sick of digging snow in winter and sweating it off in the summer. Just where is it in the U.S. that has more moderate weather? The four seasons are nice, but winter and summer are too severe in the NE. Being a NYC native, the weather never bothered us much there because of the best public transit system in the world. Living here in PA., (100 miles due west on NYC) is located just at the base of the Pocono Mountains. Winter weather sucks with the moisture that we get. Summer has the same effect with H and H, total yuk. No air-conditioning, no sleep. I loved it in Scotland. Fife is like a story book come to life. Edinburgh is absolutely one of the msot beautiful places I have ever seen. Washington and Oregon interest me because they offer fresh water fishing and ocean bathing. Ocean bathing in the NE requires driving through two states just to find cleanliness. The Atlantic in New Jersey is awful. Maybe we'll finally settle in London afetr a while and be done with it.
Hi Effi,
I live in Kennoway Fife and I am in the process of applying for a K1 Visa. My fiance lives in Pennsylvania. We are thinking about moving to the west coast once I get there and all the paper work is done. I know he is cheesed off at the moment having to dig his car out of the snow and in the summer the humidity can be unbearable. But weather aside the east coast is a beautiful part of the country.

By the way I work in Glenrothes for an American Company and some of my work mates live in Kinglassie.

The weather in Fife tonight is raining and windy. Typical. See what your missing..................

Best wishes to everyone on this forum. You have been a great source of information. Many thanks.

Patiently waiting on Vermont

Suess
Old Feb 8th 2004, 11:52 am
C.G.D.S

sibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond repute

I'm moving to Rockport MA which is about 40 miles north of Boston. It's a pretty town but cold as hell. I just got back from there and have never been as cold in my life.

I did a year in DC and loved it. In a pefect world I'd head for NC as well. Real estate is really low compared to the amount I've just had to fork out.
Old Feb 8th 2004, 1:55 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by sibsie
I'm moving to Rockport MA which is about 40 miles north of Boston. It's a pretty town but cold as hell. I just got back from there and have never been as cold in my life. ....
Neither have most of the people in Rockport, I'd bet. The recent weather up there has been exceptionally cold, records have been broken right across New England. Boston experienced temperatures of -20ºF (-29ºC), with a wind chill of -40ºF (-40ºC)and in New Hampshire the temperatures got down to -40ºF (-40ºC), ...... with a wind chill of -100ºF (-73ºC).:scared:

Last edited by Pulaski; Feb 8th 2004 at 1:58 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.