Reload this Page >

East Coast vs West Coast?

East Coast vs West Coast?

Old Jun 24th 2003, 9:08 am
ZJ1
Just Joined

ZJ1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default East Coast vs West Coast?

I think from reading other posts this is the place to ask this question - Husband is American, left when a child but now wants to go back. Originally from California but on my one visit I wasn't filled with joy (sorry!), as a 'compromise' we are considering East Coast - New England kind of area. Anyone got any info, I know nothing about the States, cost of living, pros and cons of either, friendliness of people (!We have 2 young kids, I want them to grow up with friendly people!), Education and cost of. Healthcare? 'Lifestyle'/recreation. Job availiability?

I know thats asking alot but there seems lots of people on this board. Thanks for any info. Appreciate it.

Sarah.
Old Jun 24th 2003, 1:09 pm
Pagan Sex God

Patrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: East Coast vs West Coast?

Originally posted by ZJ1
I think from reading other posts this is the place to ask this question - Husband is American, left when a child but now wants to go back. Originally from California but on my one visit I wasn't filled with joy (sorry!), as a 'compromise' we are considering East Coast - New England kind of area. Anyone got any info, I know nothing about the States, cost of living, pros and cons of either, friendliness of people (!We have 2 young kids, I want them to grow up with friendly people!), Education and cost of. Healthcare? 'Lifestyle'/recreation. Job availiability?

I know thats asking alot but there seems lots of people on this board. Thanks for any info. Appreciate it.

Sarah.
You might as well ask us to explain quantum physics! America is a huge place and the cost of living and quality of life differs so much from state to state and city to city.

San Francisco, Silicone Valley, Washington Boston, New York are all very expensive places to buy houses.

Most big cities in the states (Chicago, Cleveland, Atlanta and the ones I mentioned above) have there bad areas as well, you will have learn more about the place to live to find the places to avoid.

There are also smaller places (I for example live in a small town in NC) where the cost of housing isn't very high but then again salaries are pretty low. It will be that if you move to somewhere expensive the salary will be more.

As far as East Coast or West Coast its up to you, which do you prefer Earth Quakes or Hurricanes!

The other thing is give us some ideas of the cities you want to live and we will try and tell you more. NE has bad winters where as Calafornia has mild weather. The southern states have great weather but apart from Atlanta, the triangle and Texas jobs are at a premium (recession or no recession)

Most places are freindly and for the most part the people are nice.

Health care is expensive and if you do not get a job with a good health plan it could cost you upwards of $400 a month for a family. If you get a company health plan that price will come down to about $200 a month.

The US is in a huge recession right now and jobs are very scarce, consider that carefully, especially with so many americans out of work why would they give your husband a job (for all intends and purposes he is a Brit).

Think about the implications of starting from scratch, your husband, although american by birth, probably won't have a credit history which will make getting any kind of credit very difficult. Your car insurance alone will be in the region of $4000 a year when you first move there.

This is really the best time to uproot a family and move across to the states, you may want to think about it for a year or two until the economy recovers.

Patrick
Old Jun 24th 2003, 1:12 pm
Go RedSox!

MrsLondon is an unknown quantity at this point

My hubby's from Boston. Be prepared for much more extreme weather than the UK if you go out there. The summers can be very very humid with highs in the upper 90s. In winter, they get feet of snow, not just a few inches. The spring is a month or 2 later than in the south of England. For example, don't expect to see daffodils at the same time you see them in the UK!
However as a city, Boston is pretty nice. Clean, good transport system, (4 line subway, colour coded and easy to use, which is more than can be said about NYC, we got lost on their subway!). It's a lovely mix of old and new buildings and none of the 'monstrous carbuncles' as Prince Charles would say. Property is not cheap, but you'd expect that in a city like Boston.
Old Jun 24th 2003, 2:05 pm
British/Irish(ish) Duncs

Location: Cambridge MA, via Mississippi and Belfast Northern Ireland.
Duncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant future

Originally posted by MrsLondon
My hubby's from Boston. Be prepared for much more extreme weather than the UK if you go out there. The summers can be very very humid with highs in the upper 90s. In winter, they get feet of snow, not just a few inches. The spring is a month or 2 later than in the south of England. For example, don't expect to see daffodils at the same time you see them in the UK!
However as a city, Boston is pretty nice. Clean, good transport system, (4 line subway, colour coded and easy to use, which is more than can be said about NYC, we got lost on their subway!). It's a lovely mix of old and new buildings and none of the 'monstrous carbuncles' as Prince Charles would say. Property is not cheap, but you'd expect that in a city like Boston.
We are considering Boston as our destination when we move, my wife is USC me UKC. My wife is from Mississippi but does not want to go back. have lived IN N Ireland for last decade and visited Boston lots of times so i like it there.

The scary thing right now is the cost against jobs situation. We both have masters degrees i am lawyer by profession but can not practice in MA so i dont know what i could do instead yet. Also property is high so we are worring about the costs of livng if we dont get work soon ish after coming. Where is a good part of Boston/ surburbs to find rental accomodation? Any advice on good spots? We had hoped for somerville/cambridge but at $1200 a month and up it seems a little rich for us yet.

Failing that maybe somehwere cheaper to live is better, like Texas, maybe Austin direction. Any one any views.

regards,

Duncan

P.s. I know Patrick will have a pessimistic view but no house or job in UK very soon as well so gots to go somewhere!
Old Jun 24th 2003, 2:16 pm
Pagan Sex God

Patrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by 17782023
We are considering Boston as our destination when we move, my wife is USC me UKC. My wife is from Mississippi but does not want to go back. have lived IN N Ireland for last decade and visited Boston lots of times so i like it there.

The scary thing right now is the cost against jobs situation. We both have masters degrees i am lawyer by profession but can not practice in MA so i dont know what i could do instead yet. Also property is high so we are worring about the costs of livng if we dont get work soon ish after coming. Where is a good part of Boston/ surburbs to find rental accomodation? Any advice on good spots? We had hoped for somerville/cambridge but at $1200 a month and up it seems a little rich for us yet.

Failing that maybe somehwere cheaper to live is better, like Texas, maybe Austin direction. Any one any views.

regards,

Duncan

P.s. I know Patrick will have a pessimistic view but no house or job in UK very soon as well so gots to go somewhere!
What about Brighton - its the irish neighborhood and its within walking distance of the T. You also have Nattick which isn't on the T but has a commuter line into Boston.

Why would I have a pessimistic view, your wife has a credit history and you have no kids, if you fall on your arse you have no kids to complicate matters. You do what you want your a semi intelligent person. For ZJ1 its complicated, they will start from zero and have kids in toe, for you its just geography - you will be the same arsehole just in a different location.

Patrick
Old Jun 24th 2003, 2:20 pm
British/Irish(ish) Duncs

Duncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant future

Originally posted by Patrick
What about Brighton - its the irish neighborhood and its within walking distance of the T. You also have Nattick which isn't on the T but has a commuter line into Boston.

Why would I have a pessimistic view, your wife has a credit history and you have no kids, if you fall on your arse you have no kids to complicate matters. You do what you want your a semi intelligent person. For ZJ1 its complicated, they will start from zero and have kids in toe, for you its just geography - you will be the same arsehole just in a different location.

Patrick
Hey i was being nice!

Cheers that helpful i will look at those ideas. True no kids makes a big difference, although i do have one cat!

regards,

Duncan
Old Jun 24th 2003, 2:27 pm
Pagan Sex God

Hey i was being nice!

Cheers that helpful i will look at those ideas. True no kids makes a big difference, although i do have one cat!

regards,

Duncan

So was I, try Framingham aswell, if you want somewhere cheaper you have to go far out to place like Wooster.

Patrick
Old Jun 24th 2003, 2:44 pm
Go RedSox!

MrsLondon is an unknown quantity at this point

Hubby's folks live in Watertown. That is nice. Hubby tells me Lynn and Chelsea are not such good areas.
Old Jun 24th 2003, 2:54 pm
Pagan Sex God

Originally posted by MrsLondon
Hubby's folks live in Watertown. That is nice. Hubby tells me Lynn and Chelsea are not such good areas.
Watertown is close to Brighton and is a mainly Jewish area - its very nice (especially if you like bagels). I was actually trying to think of Watertown and couldn't remember it - its no good if you smoke because it has a no smoking ordnance. There is also a really good wings place in Watertown and I can't remember the name of it now.

Patrick
Old Jun 24th 2003, 5:04 pm
British/Irish(ish) Duncs

Watertown is close to Brighton and is a mainly Jewish area - its very nice (especially if you like bagels). I was actually trying to think of Watertown and couldn't remember it - its no good if you smoke because it has a no smoking ordnance. There is also a really good wings place in Watertown and I can't remember the name of it now.

Patrick
Yes Watertown is nice. I especially love the way Boston folk say the word!

How is Revere? Around Revere Beach.

What about Malden? I lived in a Malden once but that was in essex county England.

regards,

Duncan
Old Jun 24th 2003, 5:15 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Yes Watertown is nice. I especially love the way Boston folk say the word!

How is Revere? Around Revere Beach.

What about Malden? I lived in a Malden once but that was in essex county England.

regards,

Duncan
Isn't the Malden (sic) you're thinking of spelt with an "o"? i.e. Maldon? That's the place where the famous salt comes from, isn't it?

NC Penguin
Old Jun 24th 2003, 8:19 pm
ZJ1
Just Joined

You might as well ask us to explain quantum physics! America is a huge place and the cost of living and quality of life differs so much from state to state and city to city.

San Francisco, Silicone Valley, Washington Boston, New York are all very expensive places to buy houses.

Most big cities in the states (Chicago, Cleveland, Atlanta and the ones I mentioned above) have there bad areas as well, you will have learn more about the place to live to find the places to avoid.

There are also smaller places (I for example live in a small town in NC) where the cost of housing isn't very high but then again salaries are pretty low. It will be that if you move to somewhere expensive the salary will be more.

As far as East Coast or West Coast its up to you, which do you prefer Earth Quakes or Hurricanes!

The other thing is give us some ideas of the cities you want to live and we will try and tell you more. NE has bad winters where as Calafornia has mild weather. The southern states have great weather but apart from Atlanta, the triangle and Texas jobs are at a premium (recession or no recession)

Most places are freindly and for the most part the people are nice.

Health care is expensive and if you do not get a job with a good health plan it could cost you upwards of $400 a month for a family. If you get a company health plan that price will come down to about $200 a month.

The US is in a huge recession right now and jobs are very scarce, consider that carefully, especially with so many americans out of work why would they give your husband a job (for all intends and purposes he is a Brit).

Think about the implications of starting from scratch, your husband, although american by birth, probably won't have a credit history which will make getting any kind of credit very difficult. Your car insurance alone will be in the region of $4000 a year when you first move there.

This is really the best time to uproot a family and move across to the states, you may want to think about it for a year or two until the economy recovers.

Patrick
Thanks Patrick, that is a really good start. I know my question was really general, am looking for a starting point, I guess we were looking at Maine really to start with then Connecticut...

Weather wise we do not mind the extremes, would be nice to be able to ski in winter and surf and kayak in summer so...can we do that?

The implications thing of starting from scratch - yes I know he is essentially British so we would be as expats though not the whole both of us having to apply for immigration status. Had not realised that car insurance and credit status would be so bad though.

And uprooting a family, good point but when is a good time? When they are old enough to mind that we cannot afford anything cos we do not have highly paid jobs? Old enough that we have to start paying for education and cannot afford to send them school? Or now when (I hope?) schooling is state funded (is it?!) and they will not miss holidays and expensive purchases as we have none of that now. I figure if this all goes ahead it will be a couple fo years at least, probably three by the time we have investigated, applied and got visas and moved. Hopefully the economy will have started to creep up by then.

Thanks alot for the info. Appreciate it.

Sarah.
Old Jun 24th 2003, 9:02 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by ZJ1
<<snip>>

Weather wise we do not mind the extremes, would be nice to be able to ski in winter and surf and kayak in summer so...can we do that?
Extreme weather in the US can result in you not being able to even get out of your home and even then, you may not be able to reach your place of work. That kind of extreme snow. My husband has lived in VA and MA and experienced such winters.

<<snip>> Had not realised that car insurance and credit status would be so bad though.
Credit status is critical to a plethora of issues. e.g. buying a home, getting a credit card, any kind of loan. I speak from experience and I have an American spouse!
<<snip>>

You and your husband should research the parts of the States where there's a concentration of employers for your areas of work. Despite some US states natural attractions, there are limited areas of work and if you don't do that kind of work, other areas of employment are scarce.

Just some thoughts...

NC Penguin
Old Jun 24th 2003, 9:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond repute

When my friend was studying at Tufts University in Boston, he stayed in Allston. Fairly nice area I thought and just a short T trip into the centre of Boston.
Old Jun 25th 2003, 6:14 am
ZJ1
Just Joined

Originally posted by NC Penguin
Extreme weather in the US can result in you not being able to even get out of your home and even then, you may not be able to reach your place of work. That kind of extreme snow. My husband has lived in VA and MA and experienced such winters.

Ok so not that extreme, what I meant was we are not moving just to get better weather, most people would just say California here we come!

Credit status is critical to a plethora of issues. e.g. buying a home, getting a credit card, any kind of loan. I speak from experience and I have an American spouse!
<<snip>>

So how long typically does it take to get credit status, presumably then there would be probs setting up bank accounts too? Once you have done that, does it take a couple of years, in this country you just need three months of bills to get a mortgage or card! It sounds like it is not that easy over there.

You and your husband should research the parts of the States where there's a concentration of employers for your areas of work. Despite some US states natural attractions, there are limited areas of work and if you don't do that kind of work, other areas of employment are scarce.

Yep, good point, on it. What about schooling - can you answer that one, does that vary from state to state too or is it state funded no matter where you are? Do you have to 'qualify' for schooling?

Thank you so much for all is info, it is invaluable.

Sarah.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.