Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Easiest Credit Card to Get In US

Easiest Credit Card to Get In US

Old Feb 11th 2012, 12:19 am
Just Joined

JockBrocas is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Easiest Credit Card to Get In US

Someone else mentioned these credit unions could be quite helpful. I have accounts with wachovia for a few years and wonder if that would help.
Old Feb 11th 2012, 3:09 am
BE Enthusiast

Ja5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of light

If you have a US partner then get them to apply for one and add you as a joint holder....It gives you better rates/rewards plus a higher limit....That's IF you have a US partner....
Old Feb 11th 2012, 5:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JockBrocas
Someone else mentioned these credit unions could be quite helpful. I have accounts with wachovia for a few years and wonder if that would help.
Wachovia is now Wells Fargo. So if you have a Wachovia account, check with Wells Fargo.
Old Feb 11th 2012, 12:40 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ja5on
If you have a US partner then get them to apply for one and add you as a joint holder....It gives you better rates/rewards plus a higher limit....That's IF you have a US partner....
The piggy back jump start doesn't really work these days. It'll get you signed up for their card, but you won't gain any of the credit history/score of the joint signer anymore.
Old Feb 11th 2012, 1:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ja5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Bob
The piggy back jump start doesn't really work these days. It'll get you signed up for their card, but you won't gain any of the credit history/score of the joint signer anymore.
I thought it got you history which seems to be the main thing. Also we got a car loan in both our names....my credit is over 700 but no lines of credit over a year old.
Old Feb 11th 2012, 1:32 pm
lush

Juswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond repute

I found if I used a paper application it got refused, but if I applied online, it would often say it refused me, but then I would receive the card in the mail a week later.
Old Feb 11th 2012, 1:47 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

I thought it got you history which seems to be the main thing. Also we got a car loan in both our names....my credit is over 700 but no lines of credit over a year old.
It used to, which was the loop hole everyone suggested....but that doesn't happen anymore, since people with good credit were making money by charging folks to piggy back off their history.

You get the card, you get the score, but you don't get the history.
Old Feb 11th 2012, 1:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Bob
It used to, which was the loop hole everyone suggested....but that doesn't happen anymore, since people with good credit were making money by charging folks to piggy back off their history.

You get the card, you get the score, but you don't get the history.
Oh well! We have our auto loans and a credit card with a big enough limit. I guess I will just always use my wives credit.

Thanks for the heads up though.
Old Feb 11th 2012, 3:02 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Oh well! We have our auto loans and a credit card with a big enough limit. I guess I will just always use my wives credit.

Thanks for the heads up though.
While the card's only impacting your wife's credit, if the auto loan is in joint names then this should contribute towards your own I'd have thought. You could accelerate things a bit by getting a secured credit card in your own name. Twelve months from now your credit could be a lot more rosy.
Old Feb 11th 2012, 3:06 pm
Rootbeeraholic

Bink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit
http://www.bankrate.com/calculators/...alculator.aspx

You can have a 700+ score in under a year if you play your cards right. But you'll still be refused the best credit for lack of history.
As Bob's highlighted, having a good score isn't everything. I still get issues with credit due to the length of my history here in the US.
Some store cards can be easy to get and at least get you started. Avoid Macy's - I know half a dozen expats who have been declined Macy's cards with good credit scores.
A secured card is guaranteed. It requires putting money down but is a good way to get started. It's not good to have a lot of credit inquiries on your account in a short time though so pick your applications wisely.
It can be done though - After 2 years here, I now have a mortgage, car loan and credit cards.
Old Feb 11th 2012, 4:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Bink
As Bob's highlighted, having a good score isn't everything. I still get issues with credit due to the length of my history here in the US.
Some store cards can be easy to get and at least get you started. Avoid Macy's - I know half a dozen expats who have been declined Macy's cards with good credit scores.
A secured card is guaranteed. It requires putting money down but is a good way to get started. It's not good to have a lot of credit inquiries on your account in a short time though so pick your applications wisely.
It can be done though - After 2 years here, I now have a mortgage, car loan and credit cards.
Yeah I have a secure BoA card that I had to put $100 down for and costs me $40 a year but only has a $500 limit, kinda pointless since every time I want to buy something big it doesn't cover it. Hopefully we will have at least 20% to put towards our mortgage when we finally decide to buy something.
Old Feb 11th 2012, 5:34 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah I have a secure BoA card that I had to put $100 down for and costs me $40 a year but only has a $500 limit, kinda pointless since every time I want to buy something big it doesn't cover it. Hopefully we will have at least 20% to put towards our mortgage when we finally decide to buy something.
I had the BoA secured card with a $500 limit. Spent one third of the limit each and every month, paying the balance off in full each time. After six months they wrote to say they were unsecuring it. I got my deposit back and transferred the card (including history) to one of their fee free cards.

I still have the card. I never use it, but because average age of credit is important I'm not going to close it. They upped the limit over the years, presumably hoping I was going to start using it again. It now stands at $10,000.

Your BoA card is hardly pointless. It probably provides the best starting point to getting your credit sorted.
Old Feb 11th 2012, 6:25 pm
Rootbeeraholic

Bink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't have to put down 20%. I got an FHA insured loan so only had to put down the 3.5% (as it happens I put down more but my point was I didn't need to). Plus as I bought new the builder covered closing costs etc. Having a UK mortgage helped me immensely. I'm fortunate that I live in Houston where housing is reasonable as I maxed out the FHA loan amount but here it's enough to buy a nice house.

Keep using the secured card it will help. The real pain is waiting to be able to get a long enough history and unfortunately this just takes time.
Old Feb 11th 2012, 6:46 pm
Just Joined

JockBrocas is an unknown quantity at this point

now we hit on another point. Mortgages, how easy or difficult are those to get here for expats.
Old Feb 11th 2012, 6:51 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JockBrocas
now we hit on another point. Mortgages, how easy or difficult are those to get here for expats.
Did you read the wiki link on finance you were given earlier?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.