Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Easiest Credit Card to Get In US

Easiest Credit Card to Get In US

Old Feb 11th 2012, 8:19 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Easiest Credit Card to Get In US

Originally Posted by JockBrocas
now we hit on another point. Mortgages, how easy or difficult are those to get here for expats.
Every market, in every state is different, so you'll get different answers.

In MA, in the Boston area, it's hard to get a mortgage even with a solid history, but out in the burbs, where the market is a lot slacker, it is easier to get, but mostly dependent on how much you put down and how much you can show as reserves in your bank account in case of getting laid off.
Old Feb 11th 2012, 8:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ja5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Bink
I didn't have to put down 20%. I got an FHA insured loan so only had to put down the 3.5% (as it happens I put down more but my point was I didn't need to). Plus as I bought new the builder covered closing costs etc. Having a UK mortgage helped me immensely. I'm fortunate that I live in Houston where housing is reasonable as I maxed out the FHA loan amount but here it's enough to buy a nice house.

Keep using the secured card it will help. The real pain is waiting to be able to get a long enough history and unfortunately this just takes time.
I won't have to put 20% down but I would rather put a big chunk down, we won't be getting a house for a few years yet then will look at our options. We got approved for a 100% home loan because of my wives profession that we also didn't have to pay insurance on.....But we may only be in the area we live for a couple of years so we decided to carry on renting for now.
Old Feb 11th 2012, 8:49 pm
Just Joined

JockBrocas is an unknown quantity at this point

I am interested in everyones experience and opinion here. That's what i wanted as it seems many individuals find it easier than others. I was also told, your profession plays a major role and how much you will put down. Some have said they ony had a few thousand whist other expats had to put a large chunk down.
Old Feb 11th 2012, 10:58 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JockBrocas
I am interested in everyones experience and opinion here.
Respectfully, to what end? Other peoples' experiences may or may not be yours. Mortgage info, credit card info, and insurance info (since you'll probably ask about it soon) is largely dependent on where you live... and, quite frankly, in none of your posts have you given any indication of where you're going to be!

Here's a hint... if you want good information, you need to give good information - otherwise, you're JAHV.

Ian
Old Feb 12th 2012, 1:13 am
Just Joined

apologies i am looking at va.
Old Feb 12th 2012, 1:29 am
Just Joined

i am dipping in and out of the threads when i can get to a wireless connection so apologies if i am not clear enough at times. I am also running about trying to find a car, which is harder than i first thought. I had ideas, i may be able to get a finance deal on one. lol
Old Feb 13th 2012, 8:09 pm
Waiting for GC

Linda44 is just really niceLinda44 is just really niceLinda44 is just really niceLinda44 is just really niceLinda44 is just really niceLinda44 is just really niceLinda44 is just really niceLinda44 is just really nice

For any future readers who may not already be in the US, if you have a AMEX card in the UK prior to moving here (you have to have been using it for 6 months prior to moving) I think they'll transfer it to the US.
Not sure about the credit limit, but at least you can start building a score immediately you arrive.
Old Feb 13th 2012, 8:57 pm
Wondering if...

celticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond repute

"Easiest"? In my case it was the credit card from my employers credit union. If you have an employers credit union it has to be the place to start. Easy to get, and a significant credit limit so up and running fast.

Of course, if your employer doesn't have its own credit union then...
Old Feb 14th 2012, 12:06 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Linda44
For any future readers who may not already be in the US, if you have a AMEX card in the UK prior to moving here (you have to have been using it for 6 months prior to moving) I think they'll transfer it to the US.
Not sure about the credit limit, but at least you can start building a score immediately you arrive.
Technically it's 12 months, but they have let people transfer with less than that if they were in good standing.
Old Feb 16th 2012, 1:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Linda44
I contacted AMEX when I got to the US and told them I had a UK AMEX card and would like to get a US credit card They did some research (e.g. checked my payment history with AMEX UK) and called me back a couple of days later to tell me that I'd been approved for a US card. This wasn't a "transfer" per se. They simply issued a new credit card in the US. I did the same thing with MBNA but they were later acquired by Bank of America.
Old Feb 16th 2012, 2:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Wibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud of

We got an HSBC one with a $10K limit easily, but it was through a contact given by AIG/Travelguard. We weren't expecting such a high limit though, they said the limit would be $1-2K but when it was approved it said $10K

We also have secured one's through our bank, which in my case helps as I have no SSN which means I cannot build a credit history other than with the bank....this is according to Wells Fargo and HSBC.

Vicki
Old Feb 16th 2012, 5:01 pm
Just Joined

Jabez is an unknown quantity at this point

We just moved to Florida, set up a bank account with wells Fargo, they have been really helpful, set us up with a Pre paid credit card with out needing a Ssn or itin. Also it will help build up our US credit history. Only down side is the money that has to sit as security.
Old Feb 17th 2012, 9:09 pm
Banned

londonights is an unknown quantity at this point

If u have an HSBC account can get a credit card there i heard they have links to other banks.

Most UK banks will give u some form of credit report to take with u
Old Feb 17th 2012, 9:35 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by londonights
If u have an HSBC account can get a credit card there i heard they have links to other banks.

Most UK banks will give u some form of credit report to take with u
HSBC, if you have the premier account I think it is...they won't help really with the bog standard accounts. Plus there are hardly any branches over here.

UK credit reports from the UK will mean shit over here. Might be helpful for a broker when looking for a mortgage but won't do squat for a credit card.
Old Feb 17th 2012, 9:43 pm
Banned

londonights is an unknown quantity at this point

I heard they have some ties to other banks though well just what I heard ?wells fargo i thought but could be wrong

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.