British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Earthquake in the heartland......... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/earthquake-heartland-530260/)

dakota44 Apr 18th 2008 12:25 pm

Earthquake in the heartland.........

(CNN) -- A magnitude-5.2 earthquake, centered 131 miles east of St. Louis, Missouri, shook southern Illinois early Friday, according to the U.S. Geological Survey.

There were few reports of damage immediately after the predawn quake, which struck at 4:36 a.m. (5:36 a.m. ET), but CNN affiliate WHAS-TV in Louisville, Kentucky, showed footage of rubble left in a street after a cornice fell off a brick building there.

The epicenter of the earthquake was about three miles below ground, six miles northwest of Mount Carmel, Illinois, and 38 miles north-northwest of Evansville, Indiana, according to the USGS.
People as far north as southern Michigan and as far west as Des Moines, Iowa, reported feeling the quake, according to The Associated Press.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/04/18/ill...ake/index.html

Mind you, a 5.2 is just a baby quake.
I remember reading some time ago that there is a major fault going right up through the heartland and into Quebec...and that it has not had a seriously major quake since 1812....but when it does it could be a huge one.

the most widely felt temblors in North America were a series of four that hit near New Madrid, Missouri from December 16, 1811 through February 7, 1812. They ranged from magnitude 7.6 to 8.2. The largest was felt from the East Coast to the Rocky Mountains and from Canada to the Gulf of Mexico. New Madrid also represents an intracontinental fault system.

dakota44 Apr 18th 2008 1:07 pm

Re: Earthquake in the heartland.........

Found it..it is called the New Madrid Fault.

The New Madrid fault line is located in the central United States. It covers parts of Illinois, Kentucky, Missouri, Tennessee, and Arkansas. It was formed 550,000,000 years ago when North America began to split apart. It never completely split apart, but it left a break called Reelfoot Rift, which is a weak spot in the earth's crust. Much of the soil in this area is loose and wet because it is near the Mississippi River. This makes it more likely that the ground will shake violently and have a lot of movement during an earthquake.

Between December of 1811 and February of 1812, there was a series of earthquakes around New Madrid, Missouri. These earthquakes caused damage over 50,000 square miles. The tremors could be felt for 1,000,000 square miles, all the way from the Gulf of Mexico to Canada. These earthquakes changed the course of some rivers and streams, and made new lakes. They also destroyed whole forests full of trees.

One weird event that happened was that the Mississippi River flowed backwards. A boat called the New Orleans was sailing down the river when one of the earthquakes caused a huge wall of mud across the river. Suddenly a huge wave came up the river the wrong way and smashed into the boat. The crew lived to tell the people what had happened. The earthquakes measured from 7.6 to 7.9 on the Richter scale, which measures earthquake intensity.

This is an important fault line because a large earthquake there could affect the whole United States. There are also a lot of chemical companies located near this fault today. If these buildings were damaged, it could release poisonous chemicals into the air and water supply. There is a 50% chance that an earthquake measuring 6.0 or more could occur by the end of this year and a 90% chance by the year 2040.

willmore Apr 18th 2008 8:40 pm

Terrible news. I hope that everyone that was affected is safe and well, and in contact with family members to reassure them that they are ok.

ugacrew Apr 18th 2008 9:40 pm

Originally Posted by willmore (Post 6230020)
Terrible news. I hope that everyone that was affected is safe and well, and in contact with family members to reassure them that they are ok.

We're all good Sue. My mom was shakin' a bit both literally and figuratively. Alls well and the pictures are on the wall. I just woke up from my bed shaking like I was laying on cheap hotel bed with Vibramatic quarter machine on the night stand.

dakota44 Apr 18th 2008 9:40 pm

Originally Posted by ugacrew (Post 6230255)
I just woke up from my bed shaking like I was laying on cheap hotel bed with Vibramatic quarter machine on the night stand.

So you've been on a few of those then?

ugacrew Apr 18th 2008 9:46 pm

Originally Posted by dakota44 (Post 6230259)
So you've been on a few of those then?

I've been to one. That was the only thing novel about the place. All the other classy establishments had the 'No acancy' signs flashing.

dakota44 Apr 18th 2008 9:55 pm

Originally Posted by ugacrew (Post 6230286)
I've been to one. That was the only thing novel about the place. All the other classy establishments had the 'No acancy' signs flashing.

Well..they definitely don;t want any acancy going on. :p

willmore Apr 18th 2008 10:11 pm

Originally Posted by ugacrew (Post 6230255)
We're all good Sue. My mom was shakin' a bit both literally and figuratively. Alls well and the pictures are on the wall. I just woke up from my bed shaking like I was laying on cheap hotel bed with Vibramatic quarter machine on the night stand.

That is good news. Happy to hear that you are safe and well!

willmore Apr 18th 2008 10:13 pm

I know Im probably going to regret asking this, but here goes anyway.

Why was this thread moved from the lounge to the US and the living and moving abroad part.

I would think that there would be a far greater audience in the lounge that would be concerned about folks and would like to reply to the message. I probably would never have seen this thread if it had not originally been in the lounge.....

Just asking....

USBound Apr 19th 2008 1:48 am

i was up at 4:40 with my alarm and didn't notice a thing...

jumping_ship Apr 19th 2008 6:43 am

I was in San Francisco a while back standing on the pier in Fisherman's Wharf when there was what I have since found was a very minor tremor. Hilarious - all us tourists were panicking like hell, and all the locals were like "what...where....what happened????"

A little embarrassing....but gave the locals a giggle. I suspect it happens all the time though!

Kaffy Mintcake Apr 19th 2008 10:43 pm

Apparently it was felt in 16 states. An expert on the news I saw said the quake was a very good thing - it released some pressure and that promotes more stability vs. letting it build up. The last time something similar was felt in Cincinnati was 1968.

We wouldn't have been aware of it at all, but our dog was very upset.

Marmalade Apr 20th 2008 12:37 am

Definitely felt it where I was. The shaking of my bed woke me up. My first thought was that it was an earthquake. I get really mean if woken up in the middle of the night ~ and I yelled really loud 'What the hell was that?" as I awoke. I was mad that I was woken up. Stayed up for a while and then went back to bed. My first earthquake that I know of.:)

Folinskyinla Apr 21st 2008 5:27 am

Originally Posted by dakota44 (Post 6227724)
(CNN) -- A magnitude-5.2 earthquake, centered 131 miles east of St. Louis, Missouri, shook southern Illinois early Friday, according to the U.S. Geological Survey.

There were few reports of damage immediately after the predawn quake, which struck at 4:36 a.m. (5:36 a.m. ET), but CNN affiliate WHAS-TV in Louisville, Kentucky, showed footage of rubble left in a street after a cornice fell off a brick building there.

The epicenter of the earthquake was about three miles below ground, six miles northwest of Mount Carmel, Illinois, and 38 miles north-northwest of Evansville, Indiana, according to the USGS.
People as far north as southern Michigan and as far west as Des Moines, Iowa, reported feeling the quake, according to The Associated Press.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/04/18/ill...ake/index.html

Mind you, a 5.2 is just a baby quake.
I remember reading some time ago that there is a major fault going right up through the heartland and into Quebec...and that it has not had a seriously major quake since 1812....but when it does it could be a huge one.

the most widely felt temblors in North America were a series of four that hit near New Madrid, Missouri from December 16, 1811 through February 7, 1812. They ranged from magnitude 7.6 to 8.2. The largest was felt from the East Coast to the Rocky Mountains and from Canada to the Gulf of Mexico. New Madrid also represents an intracontinental fault system.

Hi:

It also depends upon how close you are to the damn thing -- and it is roughly a logrithmic scale. A very close by 5.2 can be slightly scary. I can tell you that being 12 miles from a 6.8 at 4:31 a.m is downright frightening!

After the rumbling had finished and I turned off the water main -- the two things I remember -- 1) every car and business alarm had been set off 2) how beautiful the sky was with all the lights off from the power failure. BTW, one thing that to this day no one seems to make earthquake proof -- the porcelain tank on one toilet was shattered when the top was tossed up by the shaking and came down.

Once you go through a big one -- the little ones cause you pause and wait to see if it stops. Sometimes even a "mild" quake can be a sharp jolt. But when starts and then KEEPS ON GOING -- lets put it this way -- a minute can be an awfully long time.

Our phone rang at 7:45 and it was my father letting me know he was OK [and he was a lot closer to the quake -- we had power back at 11:30 am that day, Dad didn't get his back for 4 days.] We then called the New Jersey relatives to let them know we were OK. Funny thing is that they were telling US what was on TV from Los Angeles.

The aftershocks were not truly babies either.

dakota44 Apr 21st 2008 12:41 pm

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla (Post 6240757)
Hi:

It also depends upon how close you are to the damn thing -- and it is roughly a logrithmic scale. A very close by 5.2 can be slightly scary. I can tell you that being 12 miles from a 6.8 at 4:31 a.m is downright frightening!

After the rumbling had finished and I turned off the water main -- the two things I remember -- 1) every car and business alarm had been set off 2) how beautiful the sky was with all the lights off from the power failure. BTW, one thing that to this day no one seems to make earthquake proof -- the porcelain tank on one toilet was shattered when the top was tossed up by the shaking and came down.

Once you go through a big one -- the little ones cause you pause and wait to see if it stops. Sometimes even a "mild" quake can be a sharp jolt. But when starts and then KEEPS ON GOING -- lets put it this way -- a minute can be an awfully long time.

Our phone rang at 7:45 and it was my father letting me know he was OK [and he was a lot closer to the quake -- we had power back at 11:30 am that day, Dad didn't get his back for 4 days.] We then called the New Jersey relatives to let them know we were OK. Funny thing is that they were telling US what was on TV from Los Angeles.

The aftershocks were not truly babies either.

Agreed that close proximity amplifies the negative experience. I've experienced at least 4 quakes, all in the 5's, highest I think was a 5.8. One in Turkey, two in Chile and one, surprisingly, in Ontario. Haven't been through one in Peru yet, but no doubt will have that experience at some point given how much time I spend there, and will be spending more time there even more eventually. The quakes in Chile were preceded by a very loud noise akin to what it might sound like if large boulders were rolling down the street. Both times it woke me from a sound sleep. No movement, just noise. Then, soon after the noise subsides, the quake comes. People I know in La Serena, Chile, decide whether or not to get out of the house by the loudness and length of the noise that precedes the quake. I was on the phone with a friend there a few years ago when she said..wait, there is an earthquake coming, wait.....then a few seconds later she said, ok, it will just be a small one. Now what were we talking about? Very casual and matter of fact.

Agree with you on the length of the quake increasing the stress on people. The recent quake in Peru that did so much damage along the coast was a long one. Friends there, who have been through quakes before, told me that one was very disturbing due to how long the tremor lasted. They were in Lima, which suffered very little in the way of damage. I seem to remember it being reported that it lasted in the neighborhood of 2 minutes. That would feel like a lifetime, and the reason the coastal city of Pisco was nearly obliterated.