Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Earth to America

Earth to America

Old Nov 24th 2005, 1:18 am
Pagan Sex God

Patrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Earth to America

Originally Posted by Roadster280
I think most on BE would agree that we moved to the US to better ourselves. And I think most would say that they succeeded.
I think most would disagree, most moved here for love and to better ourselves. Success is subjective, you obviously think you are successful because you have a bigger house, maybe a better car perhaps more money, success!

To me and many others success is based based on other things. I personally like spending time with my family, sharing time with my daughters, working to achieve that is my success.

Last edited by Patrick; Nov 24th 2005 at 3:07 am.
Old Nov 24th 2005, 1:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Big D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond repute

Not wishing to enter a war, but as an L-1 (i.e company transfer) I get the same T&Cs as the UK.

And as for the recycling, my city (the only garbage service allowed) doesn't allow the recycling of metal tins. I have no practical choice.

Im not against recycling, all for it. Did it years ago. I'm not against any eco friendly measures. Unfortunately, the US is "institutionally" against them. Not me. I am not about to take on the US!
Recycling is pretty good where we are - it costs a dollar a month for the bins but we can recycle most things!
Old Nov 24th 2005, 1:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Big D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Patrick
I think most would disagree, most moved here for love and to better ourselves. Success is subjective, you obviously think you are successful because you have a bigger house, maybe a better car perhaps more money, success!

To me and many others success is based based on other things. I personally like spending time with my family, sharing time with my daughters, working to achieve that is my success.

You really shouldnt think your materialistic ideology and forsaking your kids in the UK is shared by everyone. But thanks for suggesting it, I will always take family over money.

You are right - I doubt that most people came here to better themselves i think that we probably all have many reasons.

Roadster - not many are on L visas either, well not the majority, so this makes us all different. Personally i am on L so get the best of both worlds and in practical terms do have a better standard of living. that said i plan to go home and came here for the experience as i love the country (well reserving the right to moan about it as required) Also if you on L-visa then it probably isnt permanent so enjoy it while you can or start planning the nuptuals!!
Old Nov 24th 2005, 2:09 am
BE Forum Addict

I rejoin.

By betterment, I did not mean "financial betterment". I meant improving the quality of ones life. If that means leaving one's home country for another (specifically for marriage), then that is betterment.

I didnt come here because the US is cheaper, I chose to come here because I value the culture. That means patriotism. That means "can-do". That means "reward effort".

And no I dont have a f***ing platinum visa card.

It's f***ing Amex!!
Welcome back! But if you are going to reply to my posts don't quote the things i didn't say! I missed completely your credit status!!
Old Nov 24th 2005, 2:17 am
Pagan Sex God

Patrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond repute

Just accept it, it will make the pain go away quicker

Last edited by Patrick; Nov 24th 2005 at 3:03 am.
Old Nov 24th 2005, 2:46 am
Account Closed

Angry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to behold

Not wishing to enter a war, but as an L-1 (i.e company transfer) I get the same T&Cs as the UK.

And as for the recycling, my city (the only garbage service allowed) doesn't allow the recycling of metal tins. I have no practical choice.

Im not against recycling, all for it. Did it years ago. I'm not against any eco friendly measures. Unfortunately, the US is "institutionally" against them. Not me. I am not about to take on the US!
Actually I disagree there:

U.S. recycling rates for commonly recycled consumer goods in 2003 are listed below:

Newspapers: 82.4 percent
Corrugated Cardboard Boxes: 71.3 percent
Steel Cans: 60.0 percent
Yard Trimmings: 56.3 percent
Aluminum Beer and Soft Drink Cans: 43.9 percent
Scrap Tires: 35.6 percent
Magazines: 33.0 percent
Plastic Milk and Water Bottles: 31.9 percent
Plastic Soft Drink Bottles: 25.2 percent
Glass Containers: 22.0 percent

The United States, however, also leads the industrialized world in recycling. The United States recycled 24 percent of its waste in 1995, the most recent year for which comparative international data is available. Switzerland and Japan came in second and third, recycling 23 percent and 20 percent of their discard stream, respectively.

http://www.epa.gov/epaoswer/non-hw/muncpl/faq.htm#7

We have recycling bins here in out community for paper, plastic, aluminium and "Other". Which we use every day. They are completly filled and emptied every other day.
Old Nov 24th 2005, 2:49 am
Forum Regular

Roadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Angry White Pyjamas
Actually I disagree there:

U.S. recycling rates for commonly recycled consumer goods in 2003 are listed below:

Newspapers: 82.4 percent
Corrugated Cardboard Boxes: 71.3 percent
Steel Cans: 60.0 percent
Yard Trimmings: 56.3 percent
Aluminum Beer and Soft Drink Cans: 43.9 percent
Scrap Tires: 35.6 percent
Magazines: 33.0 percent
Plastic Milk and Water Bottles: 31.9 percent
Plastic Soft Drink Bottles: 25.2 percent
Glass Containers: 22.0 percent

The United States, however, also leads the industrialized world in recycling. The United States recycled 24 percent of its waste in 1995, the most recent year for which comparative international data is available. Switzerland and Japan came in second and third, recycling 23 percent and 20 percent of their discard stream, respectively.

http://www.epa.gov/epaoswer/non-hw/muncpl/faq.htm#7

We have recycling bins here in out community for paper, plastic, aluminium and "Other". Which we use every day. They are completly filled and emptied every other day.

Where do you live? That isnt the case here, though I wish it was.
Old Nov 24th 2005, 2:51 am
Account Closed

Angry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to behold

Where do you live? That isnt the case here, though I wish it was.
Currently Palm Beach County, Florida.
Old Nov 24th 2005, 2:53 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Patrick
Oh dear, that means so much to me. I appologise for you being so materialistic and sensative.

I served for 13 years and was in the first Gulf war and Kosovo, so dont even go there.
Whatever personal issues are going here this is now waaay off topic.
Old Nov 24th 2005, 2:55 am

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

Whatever personal issues are going here this is now waaay off topic.
Let's talk about the Kyoto Summit, I hear you can see for miles..
Old Nov 24th 2005, 2:57 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by gruffbrown
Let's talk about the Kyoto Summit, I hear you can see for miles..
I fink there was summit up wiv dat Kyoto place anyways.
Old Nov 24th 2005, 3:00 am

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

I fink there was summit up wiv dat Kyoto place anyways.
2 much pollution m8
Old Nov 24th 2005, 3:01 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by gruffbrown
2 much pollution m8
You Summit up very well.
Old Nov 24th 2005, 3:05 am

You Summit up very well.
OK, oh to have a clean planet.
Old Nov 24th 2005, 3:12 am

You Summit up very well.
Shall we delete our posts for scraping the barrel on humour?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.