Reload this Page >

Early days considerations

Early days considerations

Old May 12th 2016, 10:59 am
Just Joined

CES1010 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Early days considerations

Hello!

My husband (and I) is considering looking at opportunities to move to America with his work. He has been spotted as talent and been told working abroad would really help his career.

We have two kids (2 & 4) and whilst they are young, it seems as good a time as any. I am self-employed and in theory, could work in the US with my business if I wanted to.

BUT it is a massive decision and I don't know what I need to think about. What do you wish you'd known at the start, how did you go about choosing somewhere to live? What would I need to consider for my children?

Sorry my questions are so vague. I am excited by the possibility but want to think things through clearly.
Old May 12th 2016, 11:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Early days considerations

Before even thinking you can work in the US check to see what work visa your husband will get
Old May 12th 2016, 12:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Silverdragon102
Before even thinking you can work in the US check to see what work visa your husband will get
And be aware that which visa he gets will determine which you get, and that some dependent visas don't allow work at all, not even self-employment.
Old May 12th 2016, 12:10 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

As others have said, the first hurdle is to find out what visa your husband will be getting. Does he have a way of transferring with his current employer, or would he be looking for a new job in the USA?

Rene
Old May 12th 2016, 12:50 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

The visa issue is such a significant problem that unless it is sorted (i.e. in hand) most other considerations fall by the wayside. It can affect not only whether you as a spouse get a job, but also when you could relocate (6-12-18 months in the future) or whether you will have to leave a few years from now. Absent a company that is willing to sponsor you, this part of the journey often stalls many who desire a relocation.

As for other things, well they are all kind of moot until the visa is sorted. But you'll find comments throughout this site about good, bad and 'different' ways things are done in the USA. Somethings are better, some are worse, and mostly you'll find things are done 'differently' here for reasons that won't always appear apparent. How you deal with the differences really affects the quality of your time overseas, no matter where you are from or where you are relocating.

I often suggest that people take a look at another forum. It's a homesick and hard times forum for expats, where people express their frustrations with the difficulties of adjusting to foreign ways of doing things, the social problems of making new friends in a different land, and the overall feelings of doubt that creep into expats heads from time to time.

Login

It's a US expats in the UK forum, and you'll probably be shocked by some of the comments and concerns and problems these people face doing things that you've taken as normal all your life. It can be very helpful in understanding some of the things you'll be up against, even though it's a mirror image of the situation you'll be undertaking.

So first things first--see our Visa section in the WIKI up at the top of this page. It will give you some ideas on what kind of visas are out there and which ones you might qualify for. If you have one in mind, let us know and we'll give you some advice on how difficult it might be to obtain and some of the limitations and pitfalls that might exist. Then when that's cleared up we can talk more about your chances in a specific field or industry and what parts of the USA might be better suited for your wants and needs.

Good luck and welcome to the forum.