British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Earliest memories of another country? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/earliest-memories-another-country-472116/)

rookins26 Aug 9th 2007 4:38 pm

Re: Earliest memories of another country?

My earliest memory of another country was going to Vancouver BC when I was 12 with my parents. We went to the Capilano Bridge which is suspended high above a gorge and all these tourists were on the bridge. I watched in horror as the bridge swayed from all the people. My dad walked across it to the other side where you could hike trails deep in the woods. I was too chicken to do it:( Went back when I was first married and again watched my hubby this time walk all the way across the bridge alone :o

Colette

Mallory Aug 9th 2007 8:26 pm

Originally Posted by Triumphrob (Post 5164571)
Apparantly, when I was a kid and was asked where I was from while on Holiday in the Isle of Wight, I replied England.........

That's funny!!

penguinsix Aug 10th 2007 12:45 am

Originally Posted by elfman (Post 5159691)
I remember being freaked out by the night sky: sometimes in Africa (and other undeveloped places) the sky can be so clear and free of light pollution that it appears that every single star in the universe is sharply visible – it’s an amazing sight and all a bit much for a sleepy five year old: I yelled “too many stars!!” over and over until bundled into the waiting car.

When the earthquake hit LA and the lights were knocked out all over, there were reports of 911 calls with people saying 'what's wrong with the sky?' as for the first time many of them were seeing a non-polluted evening sky filled with stars.

I remember nights out in the country where the stars were just so thick. You could even see the other spiral band of the Milky Way. Made you feel kind of small. I miss that. I really hate light pollution (the county I live in has an active anti-light pollution group fighting halogens and excessive lighting).

Rushman Aug 10th 2007 1:02 am

Originally Posted by penguinsix (Post 5170910)
When the earthquake hit LA and the lights were knocked out all over, there were reports of 911 calls with people saying 'what's wrong with the sky?' as for the first time many of them were seeing a non-polluted evening sky filled with stars.

I remember nights out in the country where the stars were just so thick. You could even see the other spiral band of the Milky Way. Made you feel kind of small. I miss that. I really hate light pollution (the county I live in has an active anti-light pollution group fighting halogens and excessive lighting).

I can see the sky like that every night up here...you soon get sick of it and yearn for a bit of neon.

Silly Sod Aug 10th 2007 6:23 am

Originally Posted by KJ2007 (Post 5156848)
I was curious as to what everyone could remember of the very first visit they had to the US. Good, bad, or ugly - but the very first trip you spent here, regardless of whether or not it was to stay. Or for that matter, doesn't have to be the US, any country will do.

I can't contribute on that front, but can share my memories of the UK. I didn't get to see much - London, University of Sussex, and Cambridge I believe was it. Before this my knowledge consisted of words of advice from a French family I stayed with. "They think they're better than us because they have a Queen" and "the bread is terrible there" are all that I can recall.

Memories of England:
  • Very expensive (keep in mind I live in the midwest). A silly girl in our group commenting that she hadn't spent much in London at all. "How did you manage that?" we wondered. "I just charged everything" she said. :rolleyes:
  • Went to go see a play called "Martin Guerre" by myself - I was the only one who wanted to go to the theater. It was excellent.
  • Stood outside for an hour to have my purse checked before I could go into Harrod's. Watched a woman repeatedly hit other cars trying to parallel park. :eek: Funny - I don't remember much about Harrods itself - though it had some marvelously tacky souvenirs that I picked up.
  • My London hotel had a standup shower with slick tile and a curtain. I slipped, fell out of the shower, landed on my thigh on the tile edge and was black and blue the rest of the trip.
  • Eating falafel for the first time.
  • Got horribly drunk at the University of Sussex when I was visiting a friend who was studying there. My friend lived in an international dorm and had some poor Libyan convinced that squirrels were rabid and that he should run should he ever see one. (Led to a funny story when he visited her in San Francisco a year later.)
  • Convinced myself that a Brit wasn't hitting on my friend and me - that it was in my head (I was smashed). He ended up shagging another girl there. Looking back ... he was ginger ... maybe I should have guessed something was off? ;)
  • "Mind the Gap"

But my favorite memory has to be seeing Davy Jones outside the Hard Rock Cafe in London. Seemed quite fitting as I had a huge crush on him when I was little. I was surprised that he was shorter than I am! :)

All in all - a good time.

For me it was Wales. My mum and dad saved all year round to take the five of us (five lads) to Rhyll for a week. We used to get the coach and the drive took forever. The beach at Golden Sands was covered in sharp pebbles (no sign of sand, golden or otherwise) and I loved it so much I cried all the way home. My first grope was with a scouser named jacccchhhhkeeeee :) on the beach at age twelve and we swore to marry before promptly never seeing each other again.

After that is a mish mash of nearly drowning at blackpool beach, falling off a pissed off and very bony donkey and getting lost on the golden mile (cried a lot in my kiss me quick hat ha ha).

I ran away to paris age 19 and starved for a while before winding up lost and broke in Amsterdam. Stayed for six months living on skunk and strawberry ice cream. Rose coloured glasses to be sure. One day I will live in a caravan in Rhyll :)

Sorry to ramble. Great thread btw :thumbsup:

twiggy1984 Aug 11th 2007 3:54 pm

Originally Posted by Adnams (Post 5156995)
You cant get horribly drunk in a student unioon. You HAVE to get horribly drunk in a Student Union, its just the way the wheel turns.

hear, hear!

Ahh... days of snakey b gone by.

Ooh but first memory has got to be when I visited Detroit.

I must have been around 4 or 5 at the time and all I remember was grey skies and lots of really burly men .

I didn't think much of the states then, but I do remember going to Disneyland/world in Florida soon after and thought that America was a wonderful, magical place full of princesses and castles... My, my was I wrong!

another bloody yank Aug 12th 2007 12:59 pm

Originally Posted by twiggy1984 (Post 5176841)
hear, hear!

Ahh... days of snakey b gone by.

Ooh but first memory has got to be when I visited Detroit.

I must have been around 4 or 5 at the time and all I remember was grey skies and lots of really burly men .

I didn't think much of the states then, but I do remember going to Disneyland/world in Florida soon after and thought that America was a wonderful, magical place full of princesses and castles... My, my was I wrong!

Detroit? Those weren't the men...

nethead Aug 12th 2007 1:13 pm

Originally Posted by another bloody yank (Post 5179786)

:rofl::rofl:

twiggy1984 Aug 13th 2007 2:05 am

Originally Posted by another bloody yank (Post 5179786)

hmmm....

the joys of androgeny!

tettnt Aug 14th 2007 10:55 pm

My latest and wierd memories of traveling to another country was to Cambodia via Thailand in 2004.My trip from Kenya to Bkk,which was the first long distance travel from home was safe and smooth.Upon arrival at Bkk airport i asked for directions towards the exit but the only answer I got from the airport workers was"me no speak English".In one way and another, I managed to finally exit the airport and search for a place to rest my head for the night.

The sun was scorching hot, not to mention the high humidity.At the hotel the people were very welcoming and thankfuly they spoke English.Therefore i was able to extract lots of info about Thailand as well us how i would get a bus route to Phnom Pehn.

The following morning I went to the Cambodian Embassy and gladly got a visa within ten mins.My next step was to take a tuktuk and off to the bus stop.The bus was to ferry passenger to the Thailand/Cambodian border( POIPET). Here I met very soft spoken conmen who managed to convince me to change my dollars to Riels( Cambodian money) I later realized my naivity because i easily trusted them.

The only vehicles traveling from the border were trucks.Confident and daring, i went for it.Unfortunately, I was the only" barang" foreigner while the rest were natives.They spoke and laughed:D which at first i did'nt mind.After a covering about twenty miles we were asked to pay fare and all over a sudden the vehicle stalled.The driver came to the back and removed my baggage and signalling me to get off the truck.Scared, i did, my water filled with butterflies i sensed something wrong was going to happen.

The moment i stepped out, the car sped off.Gosh! I missed home and began regretting my decision of traveling.On second thoughts I encouraged myself.The locals began to sorround me.The scene was like that of a chief addressing the villagers.Worst was that they were laughing nd speaking in a language that i could not understand.
How was I going to get out of this? Luckily a Philipino guy who happened to be walking around came to my rescue.I explained the events and asked him to take me to a nearest phone booth.I called my friends in Cambodia.They had friends who lived around the place that I was stuck.They then phoned the friends who came and picked me up.I spent the night at their place and traveled the following day.

It was a very challenging trip but also exposed me to a learning field.I am more careful.

another bloody yank Aug 15th 2007 11:50 am

Originally Posted by tettnt (Post 5189985)
My latest and wierd memories of traveling to another country was to Cambodia via Thailand in 2004.My trip from Kenya to Bkk,which was the first long distance travel from home was safe and smooth.Upon arrival at Bkk airport i asked for directions towards the exit but the only answer I got from the airport workers was"me no speak English".In one way and another, I managed to finally exit the airport and search for a place to rest my head for the night.

The sun was scorching hot, not to mention the high humidity.At the hotel the people were very welcoming and thankfuly they spoke English.Therefore i was able to extract lots of info about Thailand as well us how i would get a bus route to Phnom Pehn.

The following morning I went to the Cambodian Embassy and gladly got a visa within ten mins.My next step was to take a tuktuk and off to the bus stop.The bus was to ferry passenger to the Thailand/Cambodian border( POIPET). Here I met very soft spoken conmen who managed to convince me to change my dollars to Riels( Cambodian money) I later realized my naivity because i easily trusted them.

The only vehicles traveling from the border were trucks.Confident and daring, i went for it.Unfortunately, I was the only" barang" foreigner while the rest were natives.They spoke and laughed:D which at first i did'nt mind.After a covering about twenty miles we were asked to pay fare and all over a sudden the vehicle stalled.The driver came to the back and removed my baggage and signalling me to get off the truck.Scared, i did, my water filled with butterflies i sensed something wrong was going to happen.

The moment i stepped out, the car sped off.Gosh! I missed home and began regretting my decision of traveling.On second thoughts I encouraged myself.The locals began to sorround me.The scene was like that of a chief addressing the villagers.Worst was that they were laughing nd speaking in a language that i could not understand.
How was I going to get out of this? Luckily a Philipino guy who happened to be walking around came to my rescue.I explained the events and asked him to take me to a nearest phone booth.I called my friends in Cambodia.They had friends who lived around the place that I was stuck.They then phoned the friends who came and picked me up.I spent the night at their place and traveled the following day.

It was a very challenging trip but also exposed me to a learning field.I am more careful.

That sound like a exciting mess! Espescially the butterflies in your water.

tettnt Aug 15th 2007 2:44 pm

Originally Posted by another bloody yank (Post 5191844)
That sound like a exciting mess! Espescially the butterflies in your water.

Oh yes, it was both exciting and scaring....I meant to say butterflies /water filled my stomach...:D

Sophia_S Aug 15th 2007 3:26 pm

I was going to join my ex a month after he'd gone with his Army regiment to Germany,I'd never flown before,and was scared silly,so the doctor had given me a couple of sleeping tablets for the hour flight!,from Brize Norton to Gutersloh...I took them then realised it was going to be fun!,and managed to fight them off until the following day....we'd gone into Osnabruck to look round when they suddenly hit,and I was SO tired he literally stood me up against a post outside a store while he went in for a minute and had to wake me up so we could go home,I was fast asleep leaning back against the post!!!!!
The first real memory of coming to the US was landing at Andrews AFB in Washington DC,and my stretcher being laid on a huge concrete loading slab,everyone else was being taken off in ambulances to different hospitals,but no-one seemed to know what to do with me!,it was dark,and eventually they stuck me in an ambulance and we went round the other side of the building and the driver parked up while she ran in to get my med. records,the other guy was in the back of the ambulance with me,I could see out of the back window,and I said we're moving backwards,he said no we're just waiting so she can pick your records up...so I said well the buildings are moving then!...next thing I knew he dove over the front seat head first to yank the hand break on!....I remember saying 'Looks like my curse has come with me!!!!!!!' LOL!!!:)

Amandabee Aug 15th 2007 9:00 pm

My first trip to the US was a road trip to beat all road trips. My boyfriend conned me into a weeks holiday so he could watch the new star wars film before everyone else! We flew into Newark, and apart from booking a car and the last weekend's accom in NY nothing else was planned.

We flew into Newark quite late in the evening, and decided to head to washington, so we opened our map which was the whole of the US on an A3 page, and headed off. Only to get stopped by some cops turning people away from the less savoury areas of Newark (thank you lady cop!). We drove and drove and drove, thinking that all the TV shows have motels on the side of the roads... but there arn't any on the I-95. So I said we should pull off and try our luck in a town. We pulled into a town where everyone was out on their porches... and what looked like shotguns by their sides watching us cruise by.. we got out of there pretty quickly.

Anyway eventually made it to washington, did the sights there. then decided we should go to Some gambling place by the sea by New york. But got lost, so decided to drive all the way to Niagra falls. spent about 6 hours there and then drove back to New york!

I had booked us into a hostel with 'individually' themed rooms that was close by madison square gardens. When we got there this outragously gay guy welcomed us in his 'Village people' workmens shorts! the place was half renovated and the stairs were so wonky I thought I would die as the place came crashing down!. Our original room was the 'madame butteryfly room' :ohmy:. I asked what else they had, and we ended up staying in the 'Star Trek' room:D, which was a square room with metal covering on the floor and the walls painted to look like the control panel of the star ship enterprise, and a big picture of leuitenant lahoura (?) staring at us as we slept.

It was a GREAT holiday!

Sally Aug 16th 2007 1:38 am

Originally Posted by Amandabee (Post 5193957)
leuitenant lahoura (?)

Uhura :D