EAD and SSN

Old May 9th 2005, 4:48 pm
Unknown quantity

New in NY will become famous soon enough
Default EAD and SSN

If a person has received the EAD, is he allowed to start work while waiting for the Social Security Card and Number to arrive?
Thanks in advance.
Old May 9th 2005, 5:01 pm
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: EAD and SSN

Originally Posted by New in NY
If a person has received the EAD, is he allowed to start work while waiting for the Social Security Card and Number to arrive?
Thanks in advance.
Seems like you ought to be able to. Have fun with HR though!
Old May 9th 2005, 5:02 pm
Not here much

neil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks in advance.
I don't know for certain but I suspect if the employer is willing to take you on in that scenario then yes. I came over on an L1 and while I didn't have the SSN they used 222-22-2222 as a fill in until mine came in.
Old May 9th 2005, 5:06 pm
Unknown quantity

Thanks guys, sounds good.
Old May 9th 2005, 10:46 pm
No, it's toe-mart-o!

Chandler has a brilliant futureChandler has a brilliant futureChandler has a brilliant futureChandler has a brilliant futureChandler has a brilliant futureChandler has a brilliant futureChandler has a brilliant future

I got my SSN via the office in Midtown and it only took two weeks to arrive (dec 04).

Mrs C got her's via the same office in 4 weeks (and this includes a reposting due to a naff postal service). This was Apr 05

Either way, getting your SSN once you have your EAD is a quick process. I'd secure the job and then worry about it later.

Right, 70 degrees in Manhattan and I've one more post to write before
Old May 10th 2005, 1:36 pm
Unknown quantity

Originally Posted by Chandler
Either way, getting your SSN once you have your EAD is a quick process. I'd secure the job and then worry about it later.
Actually my husband had the job offer already a month before getting the EAD so he's rather anxious to start at once even if the SSN only takes 2-3 weeks. In any case seems that the HR don't object.
Cheers.
Old May 10th 2005, 1:56 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Actually my husband had the job offer already a month before getting the EAD so he's rather anxious to start at once even if the SSN only takes 2-3 weeks. In any case seems that the HR don't object.
Cheers.

Depends on his how he obtained his EAD and if the SSA database has been updated by the CIS. If not and he is not in the database, they will do a snail mail inquiry to verify his legitimate status. This can take up to 10 weeks to verify.

Read the I-9 located at the social security administration website and determine for yourself whether or not your husband should do as others have recommended. He has a certain length of time to show the physical card before he will be dismissed from employment.
Old May 10th 2005, 2:37 pm
Unknown quantity

Originally Posted by Rete
Read the I-9 located at the social security administration website and determine for yourself whether or not your husband should do as others have recommended. He has a certain length of time to show the physical card before he will be dismissed from employment.
Thanks, I should have checked the SSA website at once. It seems that it is legal to start work without a SSN, the only problem is reporting the wages to IRS.