Reload this Page >

EAD Freeze/Policy Change 06/03?

EAD Freeze/Policy Change 06/03?

Old Jun 3rd 2002, 9:24 pm
Just Joined

Waiting is an unknown quantity at this point
Default EAD Freeze/Policy Change 06/03?

Hi all,

Quick question regarding EAD for K1'ers..

Entered the US last week on my K1 visa and applied for my social security number shortly after. They told me at the office that is all I'd need to start working.. My card arrived and bears the text "Valid for work only with INS Authorisation", so I assume I DO still need to pick up an EAD. Went down to the San Francisco INS today and was politely told that they no longer are giving EAD's out, due to a policy change. They had no further information and suggested I check back later in the week, to see when/if/how they will be giving out EAD's in the future

Anyone else had similar experiences?
Old Jun 4th 2002, 12:20 pm
Andy Platt

Default Re: EAD Freeze/Policy Change 06/03?

Everyone except for US citizens and permanent residents has the "only with INS
Authorization" part. Yes, you always needed an EAD - sorry about SF not giving the
temporary EAD out but I suggest next time you ask to speak to the supervisor to see
if you can get the real story (instead of, "I don't know so I'll just tell you to go
away and come back later when I'm not here").

Andy.

--
I'm not really here - it's just your warped imagination. "Waiting"
<[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Hi all,
    >
    > Quick question regarding EAD for K1'ers..
    >
    > Entered the US last week on my K1 visa and applied for my social security number
    > shortly after. They told me at the office that is all I'd need to start working..
    > My card arrived and bears the text "Valid for work only with INS Authorisation", so
    > I assume I DO still need to pick up an EAD. Went down to the San Francisco INS
    > today and was politely told that they no longer are giving EAD's out, due to a
    > policy change. They had no further information and suggested I check back later in
    > the week, to see when/if/how they will be giving out EAD's in the future
    >
    > Anyone else had similar experiences?
    >
    >
    >
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Jun 4th 2002, 6:20 pm
Michele Sharik

Default Re: EAD Freeze/Policy Change 06/03?

When you entered the US, did they stamp a 90-day EAD in your passport? If yes, then
that's all you need for right now. You'll have to apply for another one when that one
expires, as I understand it (we went spousal, not fiancee, so I'm not 100% certain
how that works).

Possibly SF meant that they no longer hand them out for walk-ins and you have to mail
in the application? I don't know.

-Michèle (US) & Brian (CAN) Detailed Timeline: http://ladysun1969.tripod.com Oct 11,
2000: met (in person) in Dallas, TX June 16, 2001: married in Las Vegas July 10,
2001: submitted I-485/I-130 package (Cleveland) August 14, 2001: EAD & SSN August 17,
2001: fingerprints August 21, 2001: AP January 21, 2002: moved to San Francisco May
28, 2002: AOS interview (SF) -- given 90 day Continuance for Medical Exam June 1,
2002: INS Medical Exam

Waiting <[email protected]> wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > Quick question regarding EAD for K1'ers..
    >
    > Entered the US last week on my K1 visa and applied for my social security number
    > shortly after. They told me at the office that is all I'd need to start working..
    > My card arrived and bears the text "Valid for work only with INS Authorisation", so
    > I assume I DO still need to pick up an EAD. Went down to the San Francisco INS
    > today and was politely told that they no longer are giving EAD's out, due to a
    > policy change. They had no further information and suggested I check back later in
    > the week, to see when/if/how they will be giving out EAD's in the future
    >
    > Anyone else had similar experiences?