British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   EAD Charged to me - looking for advice. (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/ead-charged-me-looking-advice-896034/)

Sooyp Apr 27th 2017 5:22 pm

EAD Charged to me - looking for advice.

I am an British IT professional working on an E2 visa in the US. My wife is a dependent of that visa but requires a renewed EAD every 18months to 2 years (I forget which). She also happens to work for the same company as me. Despite her asking her manager to work from home occasionally to be with our 10 month old son she was refused every time, even requesting going part time. So enough was enough for her and she handed in her notice. This happens to have been at the time her renewed EAD was being processed but her current one doesn't expire until May 27th. Now the HR head notified me that I need to foot the bill for the renewal fees which totals $2500. Can I fight this in anyway because I will not be able to afford this repayment.

Pulaski Apr 27th 2017 6:20 pm

Re: EAD Charged to me - looking for advice.

That sounds like mostly legal fees. :unsure: .... There's no need for your employer to do your wife's derivative visa and EAD, so do it yourself. It's not difficult and will save you the legal fees.

Sooyp Apr 27th 2017 6:34 pm

We used to pay ourselves but since her employment here they took on the costing. Its all very after the fact now.

Noorah101 Apr 27th 2017 6:34 pm

Did the company already submit the I-765 along with the fee? And now they are asking you to repay them?

Or is this something that had not been submitted yet? If that's the case, you can do it yourself.

Rene

Noorah101 Apr 27th 2017 6:36 pm

If it's already done, you could offer to repay the USCIS fee, that would have cost you anyway if you'd done it yourself, but not the lawyer fees.

Rene

Sooyp Apr 27th 2017 6:42 pm

Its all already submitted.

Pulaski Apr 27th 2017 6:59 pm

Well I don't see how they can try to charge you for it, but there might be grounds to claw it back from your wife's final paycheck or otherwise pursue her for it, depending on her terms of service.

thinbrit Apr 30th 2017 2:23 pm

Make sure your wife does not sign anything at her exit interview without reading it thoroughly. Safer to have her bring any paperwork home so you both have time to look at it in detail, and involve a lawyer if needed.
It is going to be hard for her previous employer to claw $2,500 back from her final pay check. The FSLA aught to protect her from a deduction that pushes her hourly rate before the minimum wage.

scrubbedexpat099 Apr 30th 2017 3:18 pm

Sounds lie they want him rather than his wife to pay.

hungryhorace Apr 30th 2017 7:58 pm

Originally Posted by Sooyp (Post 12239902)
Now the HR head notified me that I need to foot the bill for the renewal fees which totals $2500.

Tell them to piss off. Who pays $2.5k for an EAD application anyway? That's their own idiot fault.

Geckz Apr 30th 2017 10:10 pm

You could always offer to pay the actual renewal fee as a show of good faith :) it's circa $400.

The remaining $2,000 is going to be a lawyer cost for filling in a 2 page form that takes... oh I don't know... maybe 20 mins?

Geckz Apr 30th 2017 10:11 pm

That said - she is going to need one if she is going to continue to work, so you will have to get one anyway....

Pulaski Apr 30th 2017 10:50 pm

Originally Posted by Boiler (Post 12241493)
Sounds lie they want him rather than his wife to pay.

If that is the case, I second HH'S advice ....

Originally Posted by hungryhorace (Post 12241611)
Tell them to piss off. .....

=================================================

Originally Posted by Geckz (Post 12241661)
You could always offer to pay the actual renewal fee .... circa $400. .....

Originally Posted by Geckz (Post 12241662)
That said - she is going to need one if she is going to continue to work, so you will have to get one anyway....

This is true too, and good advice.