Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

EAD, AP and Biometrics

EAD, AP and Biometrics

Old Feb 3rd 2012, 9:49 pm
Forum Regular

katiekat is a glorious beacon of lightkatiekat is a glorious beacon of lightkatiekat is a glorious beacon of lightkatiekat is a glorious beacon of lightkatiekat is a glorious beacon of lightkatiekat is a glorious beacon of lightkatiekat is a glorious beacon of lightkatiekat is a glorious beacon of lightkatiekat is a glorious beacon of lightkatiekat is a glorious beacon of lightkatiekat is a glorious beacon of light
Default EAD, AP and Biometrics

Hi Guys,

So good news! We filed my husbands AOS packet back in December and today I got a text from USCIS notifying us that his AP has been approved and we'll receive notification in the mail. In addition, he has his Biometrics appt. in Portland on the 13th... I'm just wondering how all this works. I've been keeping up with the threads and noticed that the EAD and AP are coming together on the same card, but if he's received his AP and not his EAD then is he going to have a stack of cards to sort through?

Also, I've been holding off on asking this one but, am I right in thinking he does his Biometrics appointment and then has another 4-6 months before he gets his greencard? Or does it happen faster than that?

Thanks!

Katie
Old Feb 3rd 2012, 10:17 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: EAD, AP and Biometrics

Originally Posted by katiekat View Post
I've been keeping up with the threads and noticed that the EAD and AP are coming together on the same card, but if he's received his AP and not his EAD then is he going to have a stack of cards to sort through?
Lately most people have been getting the EAD / AP combo card, but I'm sure there might still be people who don't, for whatever reason. There's no way of knowing what he'll get until it comes in the mail. If he hasn't had his biometrics appointment yet, they can't manufacture the EAD card, which therefore means they can't manufacture the AP to go along with it (for the combo). Perhaps he'll get his AP first in the mail (in the old format, as an 8.5 x 11 sheet of paper). Or, perhaps even though the AP is approved, they'll hold off issuing it until the EAD is approved, then issue the combo card.

Also, I've been holding off on asking this one but, am I right in thinking he does his Biometrics appointment and then has another 4-6 months before he gets his greencard? Or does it happen faster than that?
How long it takes AOS to process depends on the backlog at your local district office. It also depends on whether your case was sent to California for faster processing. I'd say a typical AOS process takes about 6 months, from filing AOS to getting AOS interview (or, getting green card in the mail if no interview).

So, filing AOS in December means he'll probably get his green card around June 2012.

Rene
Old Feb 3rd 2012, 10:28 pm
Forum Regular

katiekat is a glorious beacon of lightkatiekat is a glorious beacon of lightkatiekat is a glorious beacon of lightkatiekat is a glorious beacon of lightkatiekat is a glorious beacon of lightkatiekat is a glorious beacon of lightkatiekat is a glorious beacon of lightkatiekat is a glorious beacon of lightkatiekat is a glorious beacon of lightkatiekat is a glorious beacon of lightkatiekat is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks Rene! It's good to have that somewhat cleared up, and nice to know that we're kinda almost done... Such a relief to have it all almost out of the way!
Old Feb 4th 2012, 1:05 am
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

FWIW, the Dark Forces have stated that no application is adjudicated until the biometrics are done.

Old Feb 4th 2012, 6:03 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting question. I've seen it asked a couple of times, but none of those questioners have come back to tell us what happened.

So please, do let us know if your husband gets 1 combined EA/SP card or 2 separate cards or documents.

(Philosophical question - does 2 cards make "a stack of cards"?)

Regards, JEff

So good news! We filed my husbands AOS packet back in December and today I got a text from USCIS notifying us that his AP has been approved and we'll receive notification in the mail. In addition, he has his Biometrics appt. in Portland on the 13th... I'm just wondering how all this works. I've been keeping up with the threads and noticed that the EAD and AP are coming together on the same card, but if he's received his AP and not his EAD then is he going to have a stack of cards to sort through?
Old Feb 14th 2012, 1:36 am
Forum Regular

Okay, Here is an update as requested!

So, after not receiving a NOA in the mail regarding his AP, my husband and I went down to Portland today to have his biometrics done. He was all finished by noon (we got there a bit early and so we were done early) and by two o'clock I had a text on my phone saying that another of his petitions had been updated with the Receipt number.

His EAD card is being produced... So, all I can draw from this is that both his AP and EAD were approved BEFORE his biometrics appointment occurred and now that his biometrics is done they'll issue that single card.

So, to recap

Mailed of AOS packet on December 1, 2011
NOA's Received around the second week of December
Text message and email stating approval of AP received on 2/3
Biometrics 2/13
Text/Email stating EAD Card production 2/13

It is interesting to me that we have NOT received a paper copy of the approvals for either the EAD or the AP, and we did not receive ANY notification that they had approved his EAD until the notice today that they were producing the card.

Last edited by katiekat; Feb 14th 2012 at 1:37 am. Reason: fixing terms
Old Feb 14th 2012, 2:22 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

See Mr.F's post #4 in this thread.

Regards, JEff

It is interesting to me that we have NOT received a paper copy of the approvals for either the EAD or the AP, and we did not receive ANY notification that they had approved his EAD until the notice today that they were producing the card.
Old Mar 3rd 2012, 4:27 am
Forum Regular

Hey Guys,

So, I got notification today that we will be having an Immigration Interview on April 5th.

Any advice? Any idea what we can expect? I'll definitely check out the wiki but if anyone has recently undergone an interview in the Northwest I'd love to know what to expect!

I'll post a list of what evidence we can pull together once I get it all sorted.

Thanks in advance guys!

Katie