British Expats

British Expats (
-   USA (
-   -   EAD Advice/employment lawyer in MA? (

LHT Sep 11th 2014 5:53 pm

EAD Advice/employment lawyer in MA?
Does anyone have any experience of setting up as a contractor to an overseas company? I am now based in MA, my previous UK based employer is happy for me to work from home here in US if I can get myself set up to do that. Not sure if I need an EAD (as that is for a specific US company I think?) Can I set up a sole proprietor consultancy business and invoice overseas?

Think I need proper legal advice. I thought getting car insurance was hard work....

LHT Sep 11th 2014 6:00 pm

Re: EAD Advice/employment lawyer in MA?
Should mention have an L2 Visa.

Bob Sep 11th 2014 8:09 pm

Re: EAD Advice/employment lawyer in MA?
Then yes, you need a EAD, in hand, before you can work. It's all about where you physically are and if you're in the US, you need authorisation to work regardless of where the company might be based or where the money goes.

Your issues will be quarterly tax filings, not getting a 1099 from them, paying the employer portion of the taxes.

All times are GMT. The time now is 1:30 pm.

Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.