British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Eaarthquake! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/eaarthquake-828817/)

MMcD Mar 17th 2014 1:58 pm

Eaarthquake!

We've just had a 4.4 shake up in LA (centered near Westwood on Westside)
Rocked, rolled, rattled and sounded soooo loud

AmerLisa Mar 17th 2014 2:01 pm

Re: Eaarthquake!

That's a baby.... ;):D

Is this your first?

MMcD Mar 17th 2014 2:06 pm

Originally Posted by AmerLisa (Post 11176751)
That's a baby.... ;):D Is this your first?

Oh, I know....no, not first....experienced the horror of the Northridge one....weird thing about this one (for me) - was the incredible loudness of it's noise

AmerLisa Mar 17th 2014 2:19 pm

Originally Posted by MMcD (Post 11176762)
Oh, I know....no, not first....experienced the horror of the Northridge one....weird thing about this one (for me) - was the incredible loudness of it's noise

We lived in Corona when Northridge happened and I just remember the rolling...

Of course I'm a So Cal native, so pretty used to them. After the initial weird feeling, it's all pretty normal, unless you're in a highrise...:)

Sally Redux Mar 17th 2014 4:08 pm

Immediate thought - has our house fallen down, hours before close of escrow? :eek:

Sally Redux Mar 17th 2014 4:08 pm

Originally Posted by MMcD (Post 11176762)

Maybe there was an amber alert at the same time.

MMcD Mar 17th 2014 5:31 pm

Originally Posted by Sally Redux (Post 11176943)
Immediate thought - has our house fallen down, hours before close of escrow? :eek:

Banish such thoughts!
Bad karma
:fingerscrossed:+:fingerscrossed:+:fingerscrossed: that all goes well - even tho you are......---->

Originally Posted by Sally Redux (Post 11176948)
Maybe there was an amber alert at the same time.

a fiendish :demon:
:lol:
btw: Obvious how rattled I was - couldn't even type this thread title without stutttttttering fingers.

Sally Redux Mar 17th 2014 5:35 pm

Originally Posted by MMcD (Post 11177134)
Banish such thoughts!
Bad karma
:fingerscrossed:+:fingerscrossed:+:fingerscrossed: that all goes well - even tho you are......---->

a fiendish :demon:
:lol:
btw: Obvious how rattled I was - couldn't even type this thread title without stutttttttering fingers.

Oh I thought that was intentional - shaky :D

Thanks, just heard it closed! http://www.sherv.net/cm/emo/happy/happy.gif

MMcD Mar 17th 2014 5:53 pm

Originally Posted by Sally Redux (Post 11177140)
Oh I thought that was intentional - shaky :D
Thanks, just heard it closed! http://www.sherv.net/cm/emo/happy/happy.gif

YAY!!!!!!
Time to celebrate
Light the candles/pop the corks/ jump up and down and sing hallelujah :cake::drinkingwine:
When does next chapter begin? :britflag:

Sally Redux Mar 17th 2014 9:21 pm

Originally Posted by MMcD (Post 11177166)
YAY!!!!!!
Time to celebrate
Light the candles/pop the corks/ jump up and down and sing hallelujah :cake::drinkingwine:
When does next chapter begin? :britflag:

Thanks Mc - British chapter in August.

S Folinsky Mar 18th 2014 12:35 am

KTLA News Anchors Freak

I think this caught it very well.

ned1983 Mar 18th 2014 1:51 am

Maybe because I haven't witnessed the devastation of an earthquake first hand or maybe because very few things in life make me give a s**t before coffee and 7am.

I awoke to my SoCal native girlfriend shaking me awake petrified, just put my arm around her and went back to sleep... Definitely the best quake I have experienced though. The last one to wake me was a sudden crack but not much of a shake.

joto Mar 18th 2014 2:50 am

I was lying in bed with the dogs this morning and heard a faint rumble at first then the bed moved and the doors rattled. The dogs weren't bothered at all. It was a bit scary as we haven't been in CA very long.

Michael Mar 18th 2014 3:33 am

Originally Posted by ned1983 (Post 11177771)
Maybe because I haven't witnessed the devastation of an earthquake first hand or maybe because very few things in life make me give a s**t before coffee and 7am.

I awoke to my SoCal native girlfriend shaking me awake petrified, just put my arm around her and went back to sleep... Definitely the best quake I have experienced though. The last one to wake me was a sudden crack but not much of a shake.

In the bay area, a 4.4 earthquake is barely in the news. However if under the right conditions, a 4.4 quake can feel like a 6-7 quake.

I was at work in San Jose during the 1989 Loma Prieta earthquake about 20 miles away from it's epic center and although everything shook and swayed, after it was over, I continued working thinking it was just another 5-6 quake but 80 miles from the epic center in San Francisco and Oakland, all hell was breaking lose.

Curtis86 Mar 18th 2014 5:20 am

It scared the hell out of me. My closet doors are all mirrors and the rattle was making it seem even worst.